Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

garcia946
Posts in topic: 30

Re: ammo on sale

Post by garcia946 »

the boxes just looked alittle old , rounds looked fine , still shiney
Im gonna take some out and shoot my LCP in a couple of days now

F.Y.I. just left Walmart N. Garland Rd @ 190 had about 24 boxes of 357 sig 50 rd boxes , normal walmart prices
no , 9mm , .380 , .40 , just the 357 sig , which I dont need.
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 61
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

For what it's worth department re: ammo purchases.

Wal-Mart in Denton. The man in the ammo department told me that
his store gets his ammo in unpredictable qtys and calibers, but the
best time of day to get there is 700 AM. Once it's in stock, it's out
of stock quickly, given today's ammo realities.

Wal-Mart, West Main St, aka FM1171, in Lewisville. I picked up 3 cases
of Blazer, 9mm, 115 grain, FMJ. These boxes are $8.97 each.

Wal-Mart, Hebron Parkway, aka FM3040, Lewisville. I went in there to
buy a wider belt with which to hold my holsters and extra Kydex mag
holster. For grins, I walked over to the ammo counter and found 2 boxes
of the same Blazer noted above. But when they finally found the key, the
clerk said there were actually 3 boxes down there. I bought all 3 since you
can never have too much ammo.
While I was there a 65 yearish old married couple came in. They had
just come back from Indiana and he said he couldn't find much ammo when
he was window-shopping. He whipped out his plastic and took 5 boxes of

The general gist is this: Always stroll by the ammo counter wherever you
are. Somedays the shelves are empty, other days you get to find your
favorite caliber because you are in the right place at the right time.

Gun control is hitting what you're aiming at.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

poppo
Posts in topic: 19

Post by poppo »

I'm thinking we might need a separate 'Ammo sighting' thread. I was out in San Antonio today and decided to hit every Walmart and Academy I passed. Of the 6 Walmart I stopped in, none had any of the standard caliber ammo. Only one of the 4 Academys had any 9mm (Blazer), and I probably should have picked some up, but it was the first one I stopped at and I figured I would get lucky somewhere else. This is getting ridiculous. Every on-line place I have looked at is out of stock too. I do have ammo, but I'm not about to go to the range again until I start seeing more availability (if that ever happens). :grumble
Last edited by poppo on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

bpet
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bpet »

Wal-Mart in Hugo Oklahoma had 0 (zero) pistol ammunition on Monday when I was there. Lady behind the counter just grinned and went on about her chores when I asked if they had ANY hand gun ammunition. I guess not! Since the next closest Wal-Mart is in Paris, Tx., I chose to end my search and go about my other chores.

On a more pleasant note, diesel was $1.79/gal.
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

jdh2580
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jdh2580 »

Procrastination got me again. :mad5 Checked Ammunition to Go a few days ago and they had several different types of 9mm ammo. Just went online to buy some and they are out of everything in 9mm execpt a few SD rounds. Guess that teaches me!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 183

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

poppo wrote:I do have ammo, but I'm not about to go to the range again until I start seeing more availability (if that ever happens). :grumble
I have listened to others make this same pledge. I don't really get it. What is the point of having a gun and ammo and never shooting it? I wonder if this means you will never shoot again. What is the point of having ammo you will never shoot? Can I buy it from you, since your not going to use it? All kidding aside...don't let the antis win. Go shoot a few hundred rounds now and then. Buy refills when the chance presents itself. Like they say about money...you can't take it with you.

paynewp
Posts in topic: 3

Post by paynewp »

Academy in Plano got a truck last night so give them a call when they open up I bet they have some on the shelf this morning! Not sure on actually what caliburs but a quick call in the morning when they open up is all it will take!
03/25/09 -- Packet mailed to DPS
05/15/09 -- Processing Application
07/15/09 -- Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
07/18/09 -- Plastic in hand and Wally walk completed

Kimber Pro Carry II
Glock 22

poppo

Post by poppo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
poppo wrote:I do have ammo, but I'm not about to go to the range again until I start seeing more availability (if that ever happens). :grumble
I have listened to others make this same pledge. I don't really get it. What is the point of having a gun and ammo and never shooting it? I wonder if this means you will never shoot again. What is the point of having ammo you will never shoot? Can I buy it from you, since your not going to use it? All kidding aside...don't let the antis win. Go shoot a few hundred rounds now and then. Buy refills when the chance presents itself. Like they say about money...you can't take it with you.
The point is, I'm not confident that I may not need those rounds at some point in the not too distant future. And if the supplies don't ease up, what will be the point in having a gun with no ammo? I have a specific ammount of ammo in 'reserve' and I just won't dig into it just to get some range time. I've been shooting for over 30 years, so it's not like i need a lot of practice. If I find some more, then I will use that for range time, otherwise I'll just sit on what I have.

03Lightningrocks

Interesting. Most of the folks I know who own firearms go to the range for the fun of shooting, not just for practice. This is where i fail to get it. I sure didn't mean to slight you or your years of shooting experience....your in a rather large club. Many of us here have that many or more years not only shooting but also hunting. For me shooting is more of a hobby than a necessity driven activity. Being able to defend myself with my firearms is more of a fringe benefit. I would be sad if I couldn't shoot off a few rounds just for fun now and again. :cheers2:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Liberty »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Interesting. Most of the folks I know who own firearms go to the range for the fun of shooting, not just for practice. This is where i fail to get it. I sure didn't mean to slight you or your years of shooting experience....your in a rather large club. Many of us here have that many or more years not only shooting but also hunting. For me shooting is more of a hobby than a necessity driven activity. Being able to defend myself with my firearms is more of a fringe benefit. I would be sad if I couldn't shoot off a few rounds just for fun now and again. :cheers2:
There are those preparing for the end of our world as we know it. Revolution, famine, Mexican takeovers, Space aliens, economic disastors, weapon bans, BATFE raiding churches and homes, Red Chinese invasion, Russian invasion or maybe even a prarrie dog invasion.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

03Lightningrocks

Liberty wrote:There are those preparing for the end of our world as we know it. Revolution, famine, Mexican takeovers, Space aliens, economic disastors, weapon bans, BATFE raiding churches and homes, Red Chinese invasion, Russian invasion or maybe even a prarrie dog invasion.
You forgot nuclear war :blowup and the second coming of Christ :angel: .

:shock:

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

You also forgot invasion of Evil Mutant Zombie Bikers.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

poppo

Post by poppo »

Liberty wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Interesting. Most of the folks I know who own firearms go to the range for the fun of shooting, not just for practice. This is where i fail to get it. I sure didn't mean to slight you or your years of shooting experience....your in a rather large club. Many of us here have that many or more years not only shooting but also hunting. For me shooting is more of a hobby than a necessity driven activity. Being able to defend myself with my firearms is more of a fringe benefit. I would be sad if I couldn't shoot off a few rounds just for fun now and again. :cheers2:
There are those preparing for the end of our world as we know it. Revolution, famine, Mexican takeovers, Space aliens, economic disastors, weapon bans, BATFE raiding churches and homes, Red Chinese invasion, Russian invasion or maybe even a prarrie dog invasion.
Well, I don't know about the space aliens or prairie dogs, but I do keep firearms mostly for self defense and unforeseen 'emergencies'. Sure I go to the range for fun, but also to keep my skills up to par. However, I'm not going to waste my ammo if there is no means of replacing it.

Now, I did go to Bass Pro Shop on I-10 and 1604 and they had just gotten a truck in the night before. I got there at about 9:30am and the shelves were already half stripped. People were grabbing it up. I was not (too) greedy and only snatched 8 boxes of 100 count WWB 9mm. When I was talking to the gun guy about something else, I asked him if it was more a problem of people snatching it up or not getting as much in. He said a little of both. And then he said that whenever there is a gun show in the area (I think there is one in Austin this weekend) that people come in and buy a few grand worth of ammo just to sell at the show at marked up prices.

In any case, now that I have some extra, I can go have a little fun and still have enough on hand for those space aliens. :lol:

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Right2Carry »

Well I feel sort of lucky today. After driving around most of south Arlington this morning and hitting all wal-marts plus academy, I was feeling a little frustrated. No 9mm at all and Academy just got in a shipment of .45 230 FMJ Blazer aluminum they were selling for 19.99 a box :shock: .

I stopped at another wal-mart on the way home and they were empty but the clerk told me that he had checked and the cleburne store had some 9mm and .40 in stock :hurry: . Instead of doing the smart thing and calling the store I drove down to Cleburne only to find that they were out also :mad5 . I was sent on a wild goose chase and it was all my fault for not calling the store.

I headed back to Mansfield and decided I needed a few more things so I hit up my wal-mart ( No handgun ammo except for sig 357 for a couple of weeks now. I am shopping and decided it couldn't hurt to run by the counter and check out the ammo situation. What I found was 9 boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm for 8.97 a box :woohoo. Needless to say I cleaned them out of all 9 boxes. Even though I spent a good amount of time driving around I ended up finding what I was looking for in my own backyard. :thewave
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 69

Post by Tireshred »

I went to the Pasadena Fun Show today, we (me and 2 friends) arrived 30 minutes before they opened and we were about 500-1,000 people back in line. We all went to the most obvious ammo counters first, all .380 was already gone, but I saw one guy who had bought the UMC Mega 250 rounds .380 and it had a price of $140! Once I saw they were cleaned out I went down every isle fast looking for .380. I found the same UMC 250 count box for $90 on a small table and bought it and another guy had Aguila JHP .380 for $35 a box so I bought 2 boxes of his case, I don't want to hoard. I waited around and it was all gone inside 5 minutes. I also looked for reloading dies in .380, none to be had. I will shoot my .45's and 9's, but not the .380's till this rights itself.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”