Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

open carry

Post by tomneal »

open carry

I can't immagine myself every doing open carry at the grocery store or the 7-11 but there are plenty of other places that I might, if it was an option. (I do go to the grocery store regulary wearing a paddle holster with a Para-Ord P14 45 with a Dawson base pad extension that holds 18 +1 with a unbuttoned and untucked shirt or a photo journalist vest.)

Here is where I might do Open Carry.

1) In my yard, when I might step on the pavement, or onto a neighbors property.

2) Out in the sticks (I live in Houston)

3) I'd like to remove the shop rag that covers my "truck gun". Except when I park it while shopping.

4) At a rest stop when I am traveling alone at night.

5) Durring times of civil unrest. (Like huricanes.)

and
I am with gigag04
I don't care about the "shoot me first" arguments.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

DKSuddeth wrote:thats going to be a problem, but it is their problem, not ours. The 'anti's' need to wake up and realize that its not the tool, it's how its used.
I agree...I have zero concern about their feelings on the issue...

If they want to wring their hands and run around :willynilly: because they "see" more "guns"...Thats sounds like a personal problem to me...

And over recent years their effectiveness in countering our agenda has weakened tremendously...

What the real problem is is putting our elected officials feet to the fire to get things done for us...A lot of them fear the vocal anti-gun side coming around giving them a hard time for supporting our side of the argument...

But the pendulum is slowly swinging our way more often than not...Texas's 2007 legislative session should be another banner year for gun owners in this state...

I'm rather encouraged and excited to see what gets done this time...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kw5kw »

nitrogen wrote:It'd be nice if only so people wouldn't be paranoid (or harassed) about accidental printing or an occasional unintentional "flash"
Not that I would carry open like a LEO, but I would like to be more comfortable and not worry about a "flash" or a "print".

Russ

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Anyone got any incidents and statistics to back the claim up that badguys will shoot you first? They do go after LEOs but most of the time the LEO is up and close.

On the flipside anyone actually prove the presence of an open carried weapon is a detterrent?

I feel that it should be up to the individual. If I want to open carry that is my business. If it is concealed then that is my business. Leave it at that.

Most people up here in IL believe that you can open carry in Texas. I tell them that this is simply not true.

John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 4

I am for open carry...

Post by John R. Fuller »

Personally, I think of all the places I go and where this would be practical. To illustrate my point, I will use the freedom of speech lesson. I am allowed to say anything I believe in while on my property or in a public place.

I am not allowed, however, to speak when that speech will cause a panic such as yelling fire in a crowded movie theater. Ask youself these questions...

1. Will you carry openly while at work?

2. Will you carry openly while at church?

3. Will you carry openly while shopping?

4. Will you carry openly while visiting friends and family?

5. Will you carry openly in theaters and eating establishments?

While I will embrace open carry and support it, I will probably still elect to carry concealed in some social and professional situations. I am a weld inspector at a structural steel assembly plant. I have plenty of room on my belt rig to open carry a pistol, but that would be short lived before my company would fire me for violating company policy about bringing weapons into the work place.
I am not the first or the last...

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KBCraig »

I recently attended the Free State Project's 2006 Pocupine Freedom Festival in Lancaster, NH.

When you get a bunch of hard-core libertarians together in one place, you can be certain that many of them will be armed. In NH, open carry is perfectly legal (and concealed carry is cheap and easy). And we were within sight of Vermont, where unlicensed open and concealed carry are perfectly legal.

So, during our week at Roger's Campground, I saw a lot of people reveling in the freedom to open carry. Many of them came from Massachusetts or other non-RKBA states; some came from Texas or other must-conceal states.

Tactically, I believe concealed carry is the better option. But as a freedom loving American, I had to grin while in NH and VT, leaving my cover shirt unbuttoned and not caring how the wind blew, or just shucking it altogether.

I know my Hawaiian shirt was flapping in the breeze a couple of time, and I saw eyes glance in that direction. And nobody cared! Welcome to freedom!

Our oldest son flew in from his Army post in California to join us in NH. He told me today that he hadn't paid much attention, but when someone asked me what I was carrying, he looked around and saw that everyone was carrying openly. He kinda liked that! :grin:

It's gorgeous country up there. We plan to move to Lancaster, NH within 3 years. Here are some pics:

http://www.etasigma.org/nh2006/nh2006.html

Kevin

therooster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by therooster »

just because you (in general) wouldnt open carry, doesnt mean that it shouldnt be an option.
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

cjlandry
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cjlandry »

KBCraig, your post about New Hampshire warms my heart.

You gotta love a state whose motto is "Live Free or Die".

After all, freedom is the whole point of carrying, isn't it?

Freedom with restrictions seems less like Freedom, and more like "freedom" to me. (The font size feature doesn't seem to work here)

longtooth
Posts in topic: 10

Post by longtooth »

Answers to John Fuller's Qs.
#1 - Yes. Self employed.
#2 - Undecided. Do carry concealed.
#3-5 YES, YES, YES.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txinvestigator »

cjlandry wrote:
Not for me. I am not making a statement by carrying. I carry for protection, plain and simple.

You guys are looking at the open carry from the view point of YOUR ability to open carry, but for the sake of conversation let's take a different look.

Please don't post your answer just to defend your position. I don't believe any of you NEED to defend your position. Carefully consider how you would think, feel and react in this situation.

You are at the Grocery store and there is a real scumbag, gang banger looking dude walking around with open carry.................

You are at an office building and there is a man dressed in slacks, a polo shirt open carrying into a family law attorney's office..................
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

txinvestigator wrote:
cjlandry wrote:
Not for me. I am not making a statement by carrying. I carry for protection, plain and simple.

You guys are looking at the open carry from the view point of YOUR ability to open carry, but for the sake of conversation let's take a different look.

Please don't post your answer just to defend your position. I don't believe any of you NEED to defend your position. Carefully consider how you would think, feel and react in this situation.

You are at the Grocery store and there is a real scumbag, gang banger looking dude walking around with open carry.................

You are at an office building and there is a man dressed in slacks, a polo shirt open carrying into a family law attorney's office..................
"Protection", to me, is freedom from predators who would do me and my family harm. So the two interact.

I fully understand what you're saying about the differences in perception, and I fully agree that it's not necessarily a good choice to open carry. But I don't believe it should be illegal.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

cjlandry wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
cjlandry wrote:

"Protection", to me, is freedom from predators who would do me and my family harm. So the two interact.

I fully understand what you're saying about the differences in perception, and I fully agree that it's not necessarily a good choice to open carry. But I don't believe it should be illegal.
Actually carrying does not give you freedom from predators; it offers your protection from them in the event you are attacked. Freedom would mean they would stay away by virtue of your being armed. ;-)
*CHL Instructor*

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

OK. Granted.

I'll be more specific then.

Freedom from fear of predators.

Freedom to choose to protect myself and my family.

Freedom to choose not to be a victim.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

cjlandry wrote:OK. Granted.

I'll be more specific then.

Freedom from fear of predators.
I get your point. :cheers2:
*CHL Instructor*

cyphur
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphur »

Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many places I would open-carry unless its at night out and about.

Fishing, hunting, in and around my apartment complex some of the time, thats about it. The rest of the time, it'd be concealed for the sheer purpose that sheeple are all around me, and they would could either flip out b/c of the sight of a handgun or give away any element of suprise if I was in a BG situation.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”