Class B Misdemeanor and CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
keyframe
Posts in topic: 6

Class B Misdemeanor and CHL

Post by keyframe »

Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question I really havent had a concrete answer to. I am hoping you guys and gals can help me out.

About 5 years ago, I was leasing through college with 3 other guys. To make a long story short, A guy started [messing] with me, i defended myself, and he became the victim. Apparently that's how it works,.... whoever calls the police first is the victim. Anyway, I was charged with

Class B Misdemeanor / Terroristic Threat

I ended up taking a plea,... deferred guilty

Do I have any chance in EVER getting a TX CHL?

From what I understand I must wait 5 years from the disposition of the case before I even think about applying. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance!

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Class B Misdemeanor and CHL

Post by txinvestigator »

keyframe wrote:Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question I really havent had a concrete answer to. I am hoping you guys and gals can help me out.

About 5 years ago, I was leasing through college with 3 other guys. To make a long story short, A guy started messing with me, i defended myself, and he became the victim. Apparently that's how it works,.... whoever calls the police first is the victim. Anyway, I was charged with

Class B Misdemeanor / Terroristic Threat

I ended up taking a plea,... deferred guilty

Do I have any chance in EVER getting a TX CHL?

From what I understand I must wait 5 years from the disposition of the case before I even think about applying. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance!
The circumstances are irrelevant. A Class B conviction will prohibit you from obtaining a CHL for 5 years from the date of conviction.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
keyframe

Post by keyframe »

Thank you.

I knew the circumstances were irrelevant, however I was concerned about the "Terroristic Threat" label.....Man that sucks!

In this case, I was on deferred guilty for 9 months while I was on probation. Is conviction before or after that probabtionary period?

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txinvestigator »

keyframe wrote:Thank you.

I knew the circumstances were irrelevant, however I was concerned about the "Terroristic Threat" label.....Man that sucks!

In this case, I was on deferred guilty for 9 months while I was on probation. Is conviction before or after that probabtionary period?
I THINK its from the date of final disposition, but I will have to defer to someone elae on that, as I an not 100%.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txinvestigator wrote:
keyframe wrote:Thank you.

I THINK its from the date of final disposition, but I will have to defer to someone elae on that, as I an not 100%.
:iagree: Correct.

Chas.

Topic author
keyframe

Post by keyframe »

Thanks for the quick help! This forum is quit helpful.

2 More long years.

I hate that it took over 2 years to even get to trial.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

My B-I-L got something similar so I know how stupid some of these laws on the books are (but that isn't a surprise to anyone around here). As long as you used the "oportunity" to straighten up as far as the law is concerned, then I for one won't hold it against you.

Too bad you have to wait another 2 years though...

Topic author
keyframe

Post by keyframe »

I'm still young (23), so it's not that big of a deal, and not to defend myself, but I have never been on the wrong side of the law other than speeding tickets.

I was just misinformed and made a stupid decison to not call the cops,...

All in all, a lesson learned one way or the other...

This is the way I see it, I have two years to get familiar with a gun I like, and get instinctively proficient at shooting. I'm a two year rookie.

I currently have a Sig 229 357sig, but I think its a little too big for what I thought were large hands.

I plan on purchasing a 1911 Commander (S&WSC or Sig Revolution Carry) in the next few months. I seem to shoot the single stack .45s much better.

barres

Post by barres »

Did you post a question asking for comparison between the SW1911 (Commander-sized scandium frame) and the Revolution Carry on the SigForum? I saw a post from someone who decided their Sig P229/357 was too large for their hands, so their story is similar at least to yours.

BTW, not from personal experience, but you can't seem to go wrong with either of the two .45's. The Sig will not have any MIM parts, though, if that is a concern for you.

Topic author
keyframe

Post by keyframe »

Yeah, that was me :grin:

I found this forum late last night.

Nice to see some sigForum folks here.

Diode

Post by Diode »

keyframe wrote:some sig Forum folks here.
My brother is a Sig-nut. He hangs out over there. If ya see Texas Armadillo, give him slap on the head. I drop by there to drool, I want a 226 someday!

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Sig nuts are everywhere. :twisted:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

isa268

Post by isa268 »

i love my SW1911SC big billboard edition. the only thing that's broken on it in a year of carrying it is the mag catch.
SW1911SC, SW642, M&P Shield 9mm, Caracal F, SuperNova Tactical, M&P22, SKS, AR15, Tavor, Winchester .22lr.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Topic author
keyframe

Post by keyframe »

OH NO!! I have discovered Ed Brown. :evil:

Witness P
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Witness P »

not only do you have to wait 5 years from the conviction date but must be eligable for 2 additional years after the 5 so it's actually a total of 7

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”