"Gun Buy-Back" program...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "Gun Buy-Back" program...

Post by Captain Matt »

jcutcher wrote:Please let me know if you think I could have actually gone to jail. If I did get arrested, would they have anything to hold me on? My personal opinion is that this is a bunch of crap.
You can be arrested for trespassing.
"hic sunt dracones"

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Right2Carry »

jcutcher wrote:I have a question on the law, but first let me give you some background information:

I went to the Gun Buy Back at Reunion on Saturday. I was hoping to get a good deal. When I pulled up, a cop approached my car and asked what I was selling. I told him I wanted to buy someone's gun before they sold it for a Kroger card. The cop said I could not do it. He said there is a Dallas ordinance that makes buying (but not selling) a gun inside downtown Dallas illegal. First, that made no sense. How can buying be illegal, but selling is not? I very politely disagreed with the officer and told him I would try my luck. He then told me that he would give me a ticket for trespassing if I tried to buy anything. I asked if I could just receive the ticket, but then continue going on with my business. He told me if I did that, he would have to arrest me. I asked the cop if he thought that was right. He responded that his job is not to interpret the "right/wrong" of a law. It's to enforce it. I agreed not to try and buy a gun since I prefer not to spend a day in jail. The cop allowed me to go inside. There were actually some nice guns inside. I was completely surprised by some of the weapons being sold for $50.

Here's my question. Does anyone know about this law that says you cannot buy a gun inside Downtown Dallas? I looked through all of Dallas' city ordinances and cannot find such a thing. All the ordinances are here: http://www.dallascityhall.com/html/codes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please let me know if you think I could have actually gone to jail. If I did get arrested, would they have anything to hold me on? My personal opinion is that this is a bunch of crap.

Thanks,

Jay
What did that officer think was going on in reunion, in essence they were buying guns for a 50.00 Kroger card. Maybe the officer should have went inside and explained that those individuals were in violation of the law instead of harrasing you. Sounds like total cow waste to me.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Bunkins

Post by Bunkins »

That LEO was blowing smoke... Whats bad though, they can charge you with anything to make you listen to them and do what your told. Just like he told you, it's not up to him to decide right and wrong, just the law, and he can find something to charge you with just to be a jerk. Dealing with a LEO is often times like dealing with a stubborn child...

If it was illegal to sell a firearm in Dallas city limits, then they were breaking the law themselves, even if it was just a gift card, it's a form of payment.

Of course they dont want people showing up to offer more for the firearm's, they will use some law against you to make sure they get them... It's wrong, but there isnt anything anyone can do about it.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Mike1951 »

How about filing charges against Krogers and the other participants with engaging in the firearms business without a license?

Now there's a precedent I could live with!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Mike1951 wrote:How about filing charges against Krogers and the other participants with engaging in the firearms business without a license?

Now there's a precedent I could live with!
That sounds like a good idea. :hurry:

TEX

Post by TEX »

They had one of these in Houston a long time ago in about three locations on the same day. A co-worker and I went to two of the locations. I bought a very nice S&W revolver (2") and a Glock for $100 a piece. The Glock was in pretty good condition (1st generation) and the revolver was like new in the box. We stayed there about three hours to find these bargins. About 95% of the guns were junk and possibly not worth the $50. My co-worker got a nice 870 pump for $75 and a 1911 that was in parts (looked like most all the parts were there. Slide and frame looked good) Heck we even saw one unifomred HPD officer apparenly buy one off someone in a long line, go put it in his truck and then go and relieve the cop at the desk taking in firearms. I wish they would have one every month. My co-worker and I even thought about putting adds in the paper and getting a magnetic signe for his van offering to take these nasty old guns off people's hands. We were going to call it Street Safe, an organization to reduce gun violence on the streets by collecting firearms from folks who had one and didn't know what to do with it - widows, ex-spouses, sons and daughters that inherited them, etc. We think it woudl have worked, but were not sure if it would have been strickly legal. We thought about gift cards or gift certifucates etc. in the amount of $25 to $50.

TEX
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I'd like to know how you can "buy back" something you never owned in the first place.
Byron Dickens

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

bdickens wrote:I'd like to know how you can "buy back" something you never owned in the first place.
Didn't Karl Marx claim that property belongs to all the people to be distributed to where it is needed the most?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jcutcher

Post by jcutcher »

I saw a tech 9 and SW357 being turned in. There were also lots of decent looking shotguns. Of course there was some crap, but if I could have gotten 5 guns at $75 a pop I would have been happy. It's just unfortunate that we now live in a time where guns are considered evil and cops will not let me buy a few.

Jay

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Thank you, Liberty, for that answer. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Byron Dickens

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

Bunkins wrote:Of course they dont want people showing up to offer more for the firearm's, they will use some law against you to make sure they get them... It's wrong, but there isnt anything anyone can do about it.
Nobody likes being outbid.
"hic sunt dracones"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”