November '08 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Morgan
Posts in topic: 46

Re: November '08 Applications

Post by Morgan »

Travis County
12/13 Class taken
12/18 dropped off application at DPS
1/14 Letter with pin received- checked and shows processing
2/16 Wrote to rep and sen.
2/17 Called DPS, was told they have no contact info for people who do background check.

I don't mean to offend...but you seem a little on the impatient side. You wrote your state reps LESS than 2 months after the state received your application. If things go correct-normally you should have your license within the next month, I'd think.

kirock7
Posts in topic: 14

Post by kirock7 »

Finally... the plastic was in the mail yesterday when I got home from work! :anamatedbanana
That puts my wait at just about exactly 90 days from when they received my app or 93 days mail to mail.
Don't matter no more... 'cause I'm now a member of the club! :cheers2:

First thing I did was leash up the 3 pack of mutts and go for a long walk through the neighborhood. Man, I don't know how many times I yanked on my shirt tail to make sure I wasn't showing. The feeling of complete comfort will come with time and experience I guess. :leaving
Tonight we go out to celebrate at Cafe Adobe (I certainly hope they aren't posted!)... my first real public exposure... and I'm really looking forward to it! (Went out at lunch today and bought two new Hawaiian shirts. Ha!)
:thewave
Anyone still waiting from the November group?

Ft. Bend County -
Applied Online: 11/11/08
Received DPS Packet: 11/17/08
CHL Class (passed): 11/23/08
Completed DPS Packet mailed: 11/24/08
"Processing Application": 12/13
Called by Representative Howard: "License approved" 02/18
License in hand: 2/23
Total: 90 days

Ricky
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Ricky »

I'm still here. As of today (24 February) they've had it for 98 days. I had to redo my fingerprints, but it's been 62 days since they received the new prints.
I sure could understand it if I had a record, but I haven't even had a traffic ticket and I've lived in the same county since 2001. I reckon I'll sit here and wait patiently and it'll get finished eventually :waiting:
11/15 Took CHL class
11/17 Certified mailed packet
11/18 Received in Austin at 06.32
12/18 Received notice that the fingerprint cards did not meet minimum qualifications
12/24 New prints delivered at 09.53
03/02/2009 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

dBex
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dBex »

Morgan wrote:Travis County
12/13 Class taken
12/18 dropped off application at DPS
1/14 Letter with pin received- checked and shows processing
2/16 Wrote to rep and sen.
2/17 Called DPS, was told they have no contact info for people who do background check.

I don't mean to offend...but you seem a little on the impatient side. You wrote your state reps LESS than 2 months after the state received your application. If things go correct-normally you should have your license within the next month, I'd think.
They are required to get back to me within 60 days, how is that being impatient?

Topic author
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Well...

They have 30 days to start processing your application. They then have 60 days after that to complete, deny, or contact you.

If you called, you didn't need to talk to the people who do the background check, you should be able to get a status from the people to whom you talked.

dBex
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dBex »

Morgan wrote:Well...

They have 30 days to start processing your application. They then have 60 days after that to complete, deny, or contact you.

If you called, you didn't need to talk to the people who do the background check, you should be able to get a status from the people to whom you talked.
I spoke with my Senator's office today and was told that they have 60 days from the date that the materials are received, so for me that was dec 18th. They also said they have been working on quite a few of these cases and they will be working on getting more money for next year.

Topic author
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

My bad, I misread something in 411.176. You're right, they should have notified you in writing @ 60 days after receipt that there was a delay. The 30 days I was thinking about was how quickly they're supposed to forward the stuff to the geographic designee who does the background check. But that is part of the 60 day limit. Of course if you push it too hard... read the bottom of 411.177. ;) You'll get there...they've been pretty good lately in the 40-80 day range it seems. Mine was only 39 days, but my county seems to be pretty quick.

Ricky
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Ricky »

I did my daily check this morning not expecting any change and much to my surprise: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active!!
11/15 Took CHL class
11/17 Certified mailed packet
11/18 Received in Austin at 06.32
12/18 Received notice that the fingerprint cards did not meet minimum qualifications
12/24 New prints delivered at 09.53
03/02/2009 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

KingOfDirk
Posts in topic: 11

Post by KingOfDirk »

Congrats Ricky!!!

:thewave
"...the person who loves everybody and feels at home everywhere is the true hater of mankind. He expects nothing of men, so no form of depravity can outrage him."

armedpilot
Posts in topic: 1

Post by armedpilot »

My good info popped THIS am,, I AM very relieved. After a while you begin to wonder :clapping: BEST to all waiting -- ;-) Just remember-- WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS & GALS.. :txflag:
CHL Class- 11-8-8
pkg sent - 11-10-8
PIN - 12-8-8
Fprintsredo- 12-11-8
Fprintsredo- 1- 5-09
process app- 1-15-09
APPLICATION COMPLETED 3-2-09
plastic 3-6-09

DaveT
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DaveT »

Morgan wrote:If you called, you didn't need to talk to the people who do the background check, you should be able to get a status from the people to whom you talked.
This is not entirely the case.

As I posted in the December applications forum, I called today and talked with Felicia.... she was the one who answered the phone.

After giving me a lecture about checking on line every day (she thought I was wasting my time), she gave me the line about 60 days and I was calling too soon. When I replied politely that they have had my packet since December, her response was "oh".

From that point on, she tried to offer excuse on the list:

Her: You must have a problem with your criminal history.

Me: No Mam, I have no criminal history.

Me: I have been married for 27 years and have no child support issues.

Her: You must have mental health issues.

Me: There are no issues like that, I am a former LEO and Texas Police Chief. The only thing I have ever done that might be considered crazy is once I voted for a Democrat.

She finally said she did not know why it had not been processed because she was not a 'technician'.

All this for a renewal on an existing license. :banghead:

I turned the whole matter over to my State Representative this afternoon.

that1otherdude
Posts in topic: 4

Post by that1otherdude »

DaveT wrote:
Morgan wrote:If you called, you didn't need to talk to the people who do the background check, you should be able to get a status from the people to whom you talked.

As I posted in the December applications forum, I called today and talked with Felicia.... she was the one who answered the phone.

After giving me a lecture about checking on line every day (she thought I was wasting my time), she gave me the line about 60 days and I was calling too soon. When I replied politely that they have had my packet since December, her response was "oh".

From that point on, she tried to offer excuse on the list:

Her: You must have a problem with your criminal history.

Me: No Mam, I have no criminal history.

Me: I have been married for 27 years and have no child support issues.

Her: You must have mental health issues.

Me: There are no issues like that, I am a former LEO and Texas Police Chief. The only thing I have ever done that might be considered crazy is once I voted for a Democrat.

She finally said she did not know why it had not been processed because she was not a 'technician'.

All this for a renewal on an existing license. :banghead:

I turned the whole matter over to my State Representative this afternoon.
You have more patience than most of us to politely respond to "you must have mental health issues"....

wow
"Anyone who thinks that a gun has a personality that makes it apt for evil should admit the fact that he is not making sense, and therefore should stay out of adult discussions."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

:txflag:

Topic author
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

DaveT wrote:

You didn't actually disagree with me. I didn't say you WOULD get a status from the people who answer the phone, I said "should." In more cases than not, one can get status without talking directly to the individual who conducts the background check. In fact, I don't recall reading a story here EVER of someone speaking directly to the person performing the check, yet many people have satisfactorily gotten their status via the phone.

knightx
Posts in topic: 7

Post by knightx »

EEEE-GADS !!!
what if they outsourced the background checks the same way tech-support and/or customer service is....

your background check from harris county might be coming by way of pakistan :eek6

Topic author
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary! LOL

I know this is a mindless thread bump... Good luck to everyone who's waiting !

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”