Taurus Slim

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
charlie
Posts in topic: 1

Taurus Slim

Post by charlie »

If this has been discussed, please forgive.

I just read about a new Taurus pistol called the "Slim". Is it in production? Anyone seen or bought one?

flb_78

Re: Taurus Slim

Post by flb_78 »

I dont think they have been released yet.

It's the Taurus 709, very similar to the KelTec PF9.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

casingpoint
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casingpoint »

The Slim appears to be a singe stack version of the 9mm Taurus Millenium Pro with a DOA trigger. Good little pistol, highly reliable. But the second generation MilPro I have will only take ammo up to the following spec: 124 grain @ 1225 FPS, 413 ft-lbs ME. That rules out the 115 grain Illinois State Police +P+ load at 1300 FPS, 431 ME , going by the energy factor. Unless Taurus has upped the specs of the gun, figure out what you want ol' Slim to be good for first.

mr.72
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mr.72 »

casingpoint wrote:The Slim appears to be a singe stack version of the 9mm Taurus Millenium Pro with a DOA trigger.
funny.
Good little pistol, highly reliable. But the second generation MilPro I have will only take ammo up to the following spec: 124 grain @ 1225 FPS, 413 ft-lbs ME. That rules out the 115 grain Illinois State Police +P+ load at 1300 FPS, 431 ME , going by the energy factor.
There are not many compact 9mm pistols that are wise to shoot +P+ all the time are there? I know my Kahr CW9 gets pretty beat on by +P 124gr ammo. Not only that but in a 3" barrel pistol, is there really any notable benefit from +P+? There is not enough barrel to really get the bullet up to speed or make use of the extra pressure IMHO.

I would stick with standard pressure or MAYBE +P in a compact polymer pistol. IMHO, of course.
non-conformist CHL holder

casingpoint
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casingpoint »

The velocity loss would most likely be less with 147 grain ammo, which seems to be catching on lately. The Mil Pro should shoot 147 OK if it will feed. Read page three here for one guy's take on a three inch barrel semi auto and 9BPLE ammo.
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satell ... agenum%3D3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

Just laid my eyes and hands on a Taurus 709 Slim at Academy this morning. Nice looking pistol. All you Taurus fans should love it. My only complaint was the excessive amount of slack in the trigger pull. Bothered me enough to not truly consider this pistol (even though I've been considering a Walther PPS - which is same size/caliber). The trigger is smooth, and breaks nicely once you finally get to that point. And the price is nice ~ $369 IIRC.

Anyway, I'm still debating between Walther PPS & Glock 27 ... but this little pistol is nice enough that it caught my eye. If nothing else, maybe this plus the PPS will convince Glock to get off the fence and make a single stack 9mm/.40-cal super-sub-compact (basically a slim Baby Glock).

GlockFan

Post by GlockFan »

I saw one in the Bass Pro shop sales paper, don't remember hoe much though.
Jak Se Mas?

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DoubleJ »

Went to the Academy in Lewisville on Friday, looking for Slim. He was there. Key word, was. :anamatedbanana
I really like this little shooter. For $350 I dig it. really light, good fit, and I think it has a place in my arsenal. It's definitely a niche piece, but for that particular niche, it fills that role particulary well.

I dig the trigger, as it is rather similar to my Beretta in the DA/SA realm, although, it really doesn't work in DA mode, being as it doesn't have a de-cocker. So, it basically stays in SA mode. It's very crisp and breaks nicely, with overtravel only to the extent of where the DA mode would be. Upon firing, if you only let the trigger out to its reset, it doesn't have much overtravel at all. I thought it was very nice, and certainly better than some I've shot before. I would have liked the option to carry it DA/SA (slide safety off), but I'll survive with SAO (safety on).

it does have a manual slide safety, as mentioned, similar in nature to your 1911-style, and a Glock-style trigger safety. If you shoot "thumbs-high," as some 1911 shooters do, with your thumb "riding" the safety, this gun will feel particularly comfortable. One thing to keep in mind if shooting this way, be mindful of the slide release! I found myself shooting through the last round and not allowing the slide to lock back. My fault, and once I kept mindful of my thumb positioning, I didn't run in to that issue again.

as far as accuracy, I shot 100rds through it (after a thorough cleaning/inspection) and was quite pleased with its performance.
first fifty all went through the fist sized hole @ 10yds, and the lower group was shot as fast as I could get a sight picture, aim being at the "abdomen" of the target. I believe it is plenty accurate enough for self defense situations as either a carry when you can't carry a bigger gun (I'm thinking while working out/gym clothing), or even as a BUG (would ride perfectly in a pocket holster, weakside).

FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Got one of the first ones out, here's my write-up:

http://www.geeksfirearms.com/reviews/Ta ... Review.pdf
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

smyrna

Post by smyrna »

I looked at one at a local Academy recently. Some kid behind the counter had one out and was looking at it. I struck up a conversation thinking it was a Kel Tec at first glance. My initial impressions as much as I handled it were good...lots more refined than a Kel Tec. About the same size as the P11 minus the horrible trigger pull of the Kel Tec...has the Glock type trigger safety as well as a manual safety...appeared to be a very light DA pull or single action on the first shot (kid behind the counter could not confirm).

The only negative I found was what seemed like a looong trigger pull...it seemed like I had to pull the trigger all the way rearward and into the grip before the thing would fire. It felt a little unnatural like my finger was actually having to curl backwards and my mits are not the largest. But, then again, I shoot a 1911 a lot and I'm sure it's just a different muscle memory.

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

smyrna wrote:The only negative I found was what seemed like a looong trigger pull...it seemed like I had to pull the trigger all the way rearward and into the grip before the thing would fire. It felt a little unnatural like my finger was actually having to curl backwards and my mits are not the largest. But, then again, I shoot a 1911 a lot and I'm sure it's just a different muscle memory.
I had the same reaction to the length of the trigger pull, and my guns are Glock, S&W J-frame, and Ruger LCP ... so I am used to much longer pulls than a 1911 and it felt long to me too (I don't have huge hands, but I'm over 6-feet tall and always buy either "large" or "XL" work gloves.

bpet

Post by bpet »

Bass Pro has them "on sale" through Aug 23 for $350 according to their latest sales rag.
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

bpet wrote:Bass Pro has them "on sale" through Aug 23 for $350 according to their latest sales rag.
that was the price I got at Academy. apparently they're selling rather well, although I ain't seen hide nor hair of Slim in the Gun Rags (admittedly I'm limited to AR, FTMP)

yeah, the trigger pull may be long (as far as the take-up), but it's pretty light. I would love for someone to show me how to get a round chambered and to fire this thing DA, other than a light primer first strike, I think it's impossible.

as with any trigger, some will take it, some will leave it. for me, I really dig it, and am quite happy with the gun, overall.

now, what to put in it for carry....

and a holster!!
hmmmmm :headscratch

mr.72
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mr.72 »

I really dig the look, specs, etc. of this gun but the fact that it has a manual safety may be a deal-breaker for me. I need to look at one in person. Looks like it might be smaller than my Kahr and also higher capacity (+1 round).
non-conformist CHL holder

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

you can always leave the safety off, and shoot thumbs high, 1911 style.
this is the best picture I can find on the work comp, at the moment.
picture the dude's thumb "riding" the safety. if you can get used to shooting that way, you'd be squared away.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”