Which would you pick and why...?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BlackWidow
Posts in topic: 2

Which would you pick and why...?

Post by BlackWidow »

Springfield 1911 EMP (3") or the Springfield XD SC (3")

- both in 9mm.
- both to be used as a "primary" conceal weapon - with no backup.

Please be detailed in which you'd pick and why?

TIA

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Which would you pick and why...?

Post by troglodyte »

XD

Round count

XD
Loaded with 10 round mag +1
Spare mag = 16
Total 27 rounds

EMP
Loaded with 9+1
Spare mag = 9
Total = 19

Basically a two for one with additional mags.

The EMP is pretty and I love the 1911s but for a primary (only?) CCW it would be the XD hands down for me. I have a Defender I love to carry but it stays home most of the time now in favor of the XD and more rounds. I carry 10+1 and 2-16 spares. To do this with the Defender (I know two less rounds than the EMP but you can see my point) I'd have to carry 5 extra spares.

Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Doug.38PR »

I'd take the 1911. 1) proven gun for nearly 100 years 2) it has a hammer 3) it's made of metal not plastic.

Typically I carry a 6 shot revolver. In my mind, if you can't take care of business within 6 rounds, much less 9, then you are 1) either probably going to die anyway, or 2) you'll probably already be dead or 3) better off running away. Shot placement is what counts, not playing Mel Gibson or Bruce Willis with their spray guns.

If you forsee the possiblity of getting into a tight enough situation where you need "more bullets".....carry extra magazines....or better yet, pack an AR-15 or M-1 Carbine in the back of your car.

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

These are two completely different price ranges. I have owned and carried both pistols. I no longer have the XD because a friend of mine fired it, was about to get his CHL, and wanted it. I would NEVER give up my EMP. The EMP is easier to conceal, more accurate, and for me more comfortable to carry. The EMP also comes with NS std. (at a much higher price) and the XD is hard to come by with NS.

If price isn't an issue then the EMP wins for me hands down.

Did I mention that I'm partial to 1991's? ;-)
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

If I had to choose I would pick the EMP.

Reasons:
  • Probably shoots better than the XD
  • Looks better
  • Night Sights
  • I have wanted one since I first laid eyes upon it
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I do think the EMP would carry better than the XD, but there is the round count issue. I would maybe look into the Para 9mm models. They offer a double stack model in 9mm that would solve the round count issue and still serve the 1911 role. For me though I would carry the XD just cause it is more rugged and I have not heard any issues with the XD eating any type of ammo any time. The EMP is just soooo darn pretty too.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't know which has the best track record for reliability, but that always weighs heavily in my choices. Given that they are equal, I would go with the XD because of the round count. While placement might be everything. Double taps is twice as good esp with a 9MM.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Assuming they both fit you well and you can shoot them then...

If you want a great looking gun and are satisfied with a lower round count (with reloads) then get the EMP.

If you want a not pretty gun with higher round count (with reloads) get the XD.

All other arguements are moot in modern conceal carry handguns.

It really just comes down to looks and round count.

But, I for one, am not counting on looks.

bryang

Post by bryang »

I would pick the EMP, mainly because I have wanted one for some time now. I like the way they conceal easily and of course the looks, however, it all comes down to round count...which would you be the most comfortable with.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

fickman

Post by fickman »

1911 for concealability.
Native Texian

asleepatthereel

Post by asleepatthereel »

AndyC wrote:I'm a 1911 fan - but if it was a primary, I'd take the XD because you can go from 10 rounds to 16 easily if need be. These days, round-count seems to be becoming more important.
:iagree: Im a huge fan of 1911s. 1911s should be .45ACP. That said, from everything I have seen, the EMP is a fine shooter. Personally, I dont carry a 9mm for my primary. We could debate that forever. In fact, it continues to be debated everywhere. Ill say it again, I like .45s.

If you want a primary carry pistol, and it is going to be a 9mm, I would steer you to the XD over the EMP. That was hard for a bull headed person like me to say, but if you are set on a compact 9, the XD is hard to beat. I actually had one a while back in .40 and it was a good shooter, even though I didnt like the trigger and no external safety. Sold it to fund my Kimber.

You will have more capacity in the XD than you will with the EMP.
You can get the XD with an external safety. (I could be wrong here, as I cant swear that the XDm comes in a compact 9mm)
The XD will be more affordable both in purchase and shooting.
Modern 9mm ammo that is actually effective can be had, but dont burn too much of it on the range. Big $$. Use FMJ.

Why not have one of each? :anamatedbanana I promise you will love the 1911. :txflag:
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

jorge

Post by jorge »

Doug.38PR wrote:I'd take the 1911. 1) proven gun for nearly 100 years 2) it has a hammer 3) it's made of metal not plastic.
The articles I read said the EMP had a bunch of parts redesigned compared to the full size 1911. So the EMP may look and feel like a 1911 but it's different enough inside that the 1911 proven history doesn't apply.

I also don't like an exposed hammer on a pocket gun. I think a revolver or the Rohrbaugh is probably a better choice. If it's going to be carried in a IWB or tuck holster I can carry a bigger gun just as easily so why give away round count and sight radius for no benefit.
Obamanomics: Trickle-Up Poverty

Topic author
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Thanks for all the advice guys...

I ended up buying a Springfield XD SC in .40 - for $399. :tiphat:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Used? Good buy.

New? Unbelievable buy.

Enjoy. You couldn't go wrong either way.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”