Harris County Applicants

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Totally Frustrated
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Harris County Applicants

Post by Totally Frustrated »

I don't know if I agree that they are getting better. You are not the first person who hasn't had to wait very long for your license to be approved. and that was most of my complaint that DPS had my application for five months and there were people getting approved in two. so either people are getting preferential treatment, or they just kept stacking new people on the pile pushing me down further and further.
The application process should be taken in order of receipt, no matter what Representative or Senator a person calls.
I get a kick out of reading the December and January applicants upset that they haven't received their License yet. I was in that position and wish I had started calling earlier. After I received my license yesterday, I contacted Representative Joe Crabbs office, who I had earlier contacted about the delay, and thanked him for his assistance in the situation. He may have not been any assistance at all, maybe it was just my time, but I also asked him to remain vigliant in keeping the pressure on DPS to be sure that applicants are not having to wait as long as I had too.
We will know they are getting better when the time for approvals drop on the replys here.

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

A comrade has been waiting since June.

JTB59
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JTB59 »

Totally Frustrated wrote:I don't know if I agree that they are getting better. You are not the first person who hasn't had to wait very long for your license to be approved. and that was most of my complaint that DPS had my application for five months and there were people getting approved in two. so either people are getting preferential treatment, or they just kept stacking new people on the pile pushing me down further and further.
The application process should be taken in order of receipt, no matter what Representative or Senator a person calls.
I get a kick out of reading the December and January applicants upset that they haven't received their License yet. I was in that position and wish I had started calling earlier. After I received my license yesterday, I contacted Representative Joe Crabbs office, who I had earlier contacted about the delay, and thanked him for his assistance in the situation. He may have not been any assistance at all, maybe it was just my time, but I also asked him to remain vigliant in keeping the pressure on DPS to be sure that applicants are not having to wait as long as I had too.
We will know they are getting better when the time for approvals drop on the replys here.
I'm confused as to your disagreemement with my posting. I was just stating the facts as to the timing of my license. I thought that was the purpose of this string. I was trying to convey to those waiting that there is hope. Me and a friend of mine got ours in about 2 months. I've since learned that at least 6 from that class have gotten theirs (all from Harris County). This would seem to support your last line "We will know they are getting better when the time for approvals drop on the replies here." And my friend and I got no preferential treatment and made no phone calls to anyone. As to your statement about the application process being taken in order of receipt is valid to a point. But some background investigations are more complex than others. I don't think you or anyone wants to take 5 months because we're stuck behind a BI that has alot of issues. I know for you and those others who have waited much longer, it must be pretty frustrating that some are moving much faster. But to some that submitted almost 60 days ago, it might be comforting to know that some in Harris County are getting through in a reasonable amount of time. And, believe me, I'm not trying to defend the state, as the amount of time it has taken for many of you is definitely unreasonable and should get the attention of some state reps. I sincerely hope they get those moving and issued soon

that1otherdude
Posts in topic: 6

Post by that1otherdude »

How does one know who and how many folks are working on Background Checks in Harris and Galveston County? Is it standard across the board for each county?
"Anyone who thinks that a gun has a personality that makes it apt for evil should admit the fact that he is not making sense, and therefore should stay out of adult discussions."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

:txflag:

Totally Frustrated

Post by Totally Frustrated »

JTB59 ,
In a long winded way, I was trying to say when the people who have been waiting for ridiculous periods of time for their background checks to be completed get there licenses. that will show that DPS is getting caught up. If that makes sense. As that1otherdude says who knows how many people are still out there?
I found this forum months after I applied and that's where I followed others advice and started notifying government officials. Noone knows how many people are out there that don't think to do that. I have noticed that the august and september threads have not been opened in a while.
I think on another thread someone stated that noone knows how the application process works, or if someone does, they ain't talkin'. I was just throwing my two cents in on how I think it should be, and you may be correct in the fact that it can't be done that way.
I really do hope they are getting caught up, for the long waiters sake.

kimber909

Post by kimber909 »

I'm in Harris Co. It took me about 70 days to get completed. Just waiting on the plastic now. A little longer than I think it should take in todays world but I'm happy.

CKelton

Post by CKelton »

kimber909 wrote: . . . . It took me about 70 days to get completed. . . .
Congrats!
So when did DPS initially receive your application?
I assume you did not have to resubmit anything?
Harris County
11-26-08 class
12-02-08 mailed CMRRR
12-05-08 received
12-11-08 check clears
12-19-08 PIN letter date
02-10-09 60th day, start the calls
03-18-09 Plastic in hand

kimber909

Post by kimber909 »

I didn't track it. I sent it regular USPS on Nov. 19th. so they probably received it the 20th. or 21st. My check was cashed on the 28th.

HGWC
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by HGWC »

JTB59 wrote: I was just stating the facts as to the timing of my license. I thought that was the purpose of this string. I was trying to convey to those waiting that there is hope. Me and a friend of mine got ours in about 2 months.
From 11/7 (ie 3 days after you mailed the application ) - 1/27 is 82 days. By my count, you waited almost three months.
As to your statement about the application process being taken in order of receipt is valid to a point. But some background investigations are more complex than others. I don't think you or anyone wants to take 5 months because we're stuck behind a BI that has alot of issues. I know for you and those others who have waited much longer, it must be pretty frustrating that some are moving much faster. But to some that submitted almost 60 days ago, it might be comforting to know that some in Harris County are getting through in a reasonable amount of time.
I don't buy that some background checks are more complicated as an excuse for the DPS. I expect that almost all of the applications are the same. Almost all the applicants have no records of misdemeanor or felony crimes, no delinquent student loans or taxes, no protective orders, etc etc. For example, my application from August was being delayed during the period they were processing yours. There's no explanation for processing applications out of order or exceeding the 60 day limit.

No one is getting their application processed in a reasonable amount of time, not in Harris county anyway. Sixty days is the outside limit allowed by the statute. They should be processing these applications in no more than thirty days in order to ensure that only the rare exception ever approaches or exceeds 60 days. From what I can see, all applications are taking more than 60 days. Yours at 82 days is the rare exception. Most are much longer. It's completely at their discretion, and they're choosing to violate the law and deny our rights. Don't make excuses for the DPS.

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tireshred »

I'm with you on this one HGWC, there's no way they would let any of us go past the due date on a citation.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

that1otherdude
Posts in topic: 6

Post by that1otherdude »

Tireshred wrote:I'm with you on this one HGWC, there's no way they would let any of us go past the due date on a citation.

Well put. We are paying good money to excercise our rights under Texas law and the feet dragging/inadequate staffing/backlog is INSANE!
"Anyone who thinks that a gun has a personality that makes it apt for evil should admit the fact that he is not making sense, and therefore should stay out of adult discussions."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

KingOfDirk

Post by KingOfDirk »

I thought this might be a good indicator of how things are going for us Harris County folk:

An acquaintance of mine who took the class with me and mailed her packet the same day received her plastic today. She made no phone calls to Austin, wrote no letters to representatives at any level. 110 days from door to door. That's 3-4 weeks longer than mine took, and I bothered everyone who would sit still.

How many Harris Co. applicants from pre-November '08 are still waiting? If licenses are being mailed to people who applied ~5 November and never tried the squeaky-wheel route, it may be time for you to make a few phone calls if you feel up to it.

Best of luck, y'all. Hang in there.
KoD

"...the person who loves everybody and feels at home everywhere is the true hater of mankind. He expects nothing of men, so no form of depravity can outrage him."

FlynJay
Posts in topic: 5

Post by FlynJay »

HGWC wrote: I don't buy that some background checks are more complicated as an excuse for the DPS. I expect that almost all of the applications are the same. Almost all the applicants have no records of misdemeanor or felony crimes, no delinquent student loans or taxes, no protective orders, etc etc. For example, my application from August was being delayed during the period they were processing yours. There's no explanation for processing applications out of order or exceeding the 60 day limit.

No one is getting their application processed in a reasonable amount of time, not in Harris county anyway. Sixty days is the outside limit allowed by the statute. They should be processing these applications in no more than thirty days in order to ensure that only the rare exception ever approaches or exceeds 60 days. From what I can see, all applications are taking more than 60 days. Yours at 82 days is the rare exception. Most are much longer. It's completely at their discretion, and they're choosing to violate the law and deny our rights. Don't make excuses for the DPS.
What gets me, is the local background check is not a requirement in the statute.
(b) The director's designee as needed shall conduct an additional
criminal history record check of the applicant and an investigation of
the applicant's local official records to verify the accuracy of the application
materials. The scope of the record check and the investigation
are at the sole discretion of the department, except that the director's
designee shall complete the record check and investigation not later
than the 60th day after the date the department receives the application
materials.
[/quote]
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

Zero_G
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zero_G »

My wife just checked the website and found the wonderful 'certificate issued' message. Her package arrived at TXDPS on 6 Dec. She's been carrying under a Utah permit for several months, but it will be nice to have the TX plastic!

Edit: Plastic arrived 6 Mar - right at 90 days from when DPS received it. That's not too bad considering some of the horror stories I've been hearing. I was worried since we've lived in 5 states over the past 15 years - thought it might have made the background check even worse. Official Wally Walk today!

CKelton

Post by CKelton »

Well guys, it’s been 103 days from application receipt to plastic.

After many calls and emails to State Congressman/Representative (who were VERY responsive if not helpful {I’ll never know about helpful}) as well as multiple phone calls to DPS and an address change from Harris to Trinity counties during processing, I get to burn out of here.

On 3/16/09, I told CHLB staff that ‘I want the license or a letter of denial’ so that I could move the process off of Harris BG check where it had been since @ 1/21/09. She responded, “We’re not going to deny the license”. I didn’t understand how she could make that comment when the BG check wasn’t complete.

For those of you impatient types, I suggest you not take out your frustration on the CHLB people you speak with. They don’t set budgets and aren’t responsible for staffing. I appreciated the comment from the lady I’d been regularly dealing with who said I had been respectful and pleasant to deal with. No reason to aggravate the situation with people that don’t manage it.

I've got to make some final adjustments to my MTAC IWB and drive 60 miles to take my Glock for a walk. I’ll see you on other forums.

Here’s to never needing a weapon for SD and being fully prepared and justified by 12 if we do.

PS: Website shows license active as of today.
Harris County
11-26-08 class
12-02-08 mailed CMRRR
12-05-08 received
12-11-08 check clears
12-19-08 PIN letter date
02-10-09 60th day, start the calls
03-18-09 Plastic in hand

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”