My new SKS (Yugoslavian)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Diode
Posts in topic: 6

My new SKS (Yugoslavian)

Post by Diode »

This is my first rifle ever. My brother has a boat load of them and he talked me into going with him Saturday to shoot a few of them at Carter's Country.
THis one was del. on Friday and he cleaned Cosmoline (sp) off it all day. After we got thru shooting I took it home Field stripped it a few times cleaned it and then took Acitone to the stock and stripped it. Sat around Sunday sanding on it and then put a good coat of Tunge Oil on it and let it set over night. Put it all back together today and decided it needed a photo. I also decided it was now a close friend and told my brother I was going to keep it.

Yes, I had to pay him for it :)

http://www.houstonoutcast.com/gallery/a ... ff_005.jpg
http://www.houstonoutcast.com/gallery/a ... ff_006.jpg
http://www.houstonoutcast.com/gallery/a ... ff_007.jpg

Remihnds me of an old Volkswagon, just fun to tinker with.

Glockamolie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Glockamolie »

It IS like an old VW Beetle: Inexpensive, reliable, and serves its purpose. An SKS might be my next gun.
- Brandon

graysoncountyffl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by graysoncountyffl »

Those really are nicely built. For the $, it would be hard to beat. What kind of groups did you get? Just curious, I have not even cleaned the cosmoline off mine but I am anxious to get to it.

Didnt I notice you said that last hurricane you no firearms? Looks like you are have gotten that well in order! :grin:
$10 xfers
$5 for CHL

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

A Yugo SKS is hard to beat. The 59/66 is far and away the best SKS out there. If all else fails, unfurl the pig sticker! :grin:

And no, I don't have one... yet! I collect bolt action military rifles, but a Yugo 59/66 will be my first semi-auto. Unless I find a really sweet deal on a French MAS 49/56, that is. Or a Ljungmann, or a Hakim, or a Rasheed, or a Gw.43...

Kevin

Chris

Post by Chris »

KBCraig wrote:A Yugo SKS is hard to beat. The 59/66 is far and away the best SKS out there. If all else fails, unfurl the pig sticker! :grin:

And no, I don't have one... yet! I collect bolt action military rifles, but a Yugo 59/66 will be my first semi-auto. Unless I find a really sweet deal on a French MAS 49/56, that is. Or a Ljungmann, or a Hakim, or a Rasheed, or a Gw.43...

Kevin
i just have one thing to say to you guys...GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

this is Texas for crying out loud. how can you only have one or two guns? i just don't understand the logic behind that. how hard is it to sell the wife and kids? :roll:

:grin:

Topic author
Diode

Post by Diode »

Glockamolie wrote:It IS like an old VW Beetle: Inexpensive, reliable, and serves its purpose. An SKS might be my next gun.
That's great, I said the same thing to my brother. It really is like a old VW Bug (my first car) You can actually tinker with it! This one was one of the "hand picked" ones and it was $149.00

Topic author
Diode

Post by Diode »

graysoncountyffl wrote:Those really are nicely built. For the $, it would be hard to beat. What kind of groups did you get? Just curious, I have not even cleaned the cosmoline off mine but I am anxious to get to it.

Didnt I notice you said that last hurricane you no firearms? Looks like you are have gotten that well in order! :grin:
50 yards with the iron sights we held a 1" group. Didn't even have to adjust it. :oops: Yeah, I ahve put together a nice set of firearms since August last year.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Beautiful, Diode! Sorry I couldn't meet you at CC this weekend. Yes the SKS is a VW Beetle (I like that analogy!), I'm rather fond of my Chinese SKS. I too stripped the stock and rubbed in three coats of tung oil.

Only difference now is that I've removed the 20 rounder and fixed on the standard 10 rounder. Now I need that green and leather sling for it and she's all done.

Good buy, it's one you won't want to get rid of!

JLaw

UNBLVR

Post by UNBLVR »

Be careful...the SKS (and milsurps in general) can breed like rabbits...

...and three that came after the above photo was taken...

Joe
ONE DAY YOU MAY FIND ME DEAD...LAYING IN A DITCH.
BUT YOU CAN BET I'LL BE LYING IN A PILE OF BRASS.

Topic author
Diode

Post by Diode »

JLaw wrote:Beautiful, Diode! Sorry I couldn't meet you at CC this weekend. Yes the SKS is a VW Beetle (I like that analogy!), I'm rather fond of my Chinese SKS. I too stripped the stock and rubbed in three coats of tung oil.

Only difference now is that I've removed the 20 rounder and fixed on the standard 10 rounder. Now I need that green and leather sling for it and she's all done.

Good buy, it's one you won't want to get rid of!

JLaw
ooo! Very nice, That's ok we'll get together and go shoot them! I didn't find out until the last minute if we were actually going to shoot. I'll try to plan a little outing soon :) Mine came with an old green strap but it is in bad shape, I have not looked for a nicer one yet, are they around>?

Topic author
Diode

Post by Diode »

UNBLVR wrote:Be careful...the SKS (and milsurps in general) can breed like rabbits...

...and three that came after the above photo was taken...

Joe
Wow! Nice collection! If trench warefare ever makes a come back you all set :)

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Nice rifles all around! :cool:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Diode wrote:
Mine came with an old green strap but it is in bad shape, I have not looked for a nicer one yet, are they around>?
They're around. Probably find them at the gun shows easy enough. Cheaper than Dirt sells them, only reason I hate ordering one from them is by the time you have it shipped, that $6.00 sling costs me almost $15.00.

JLaw

Topic author
Diode

Post by Diode »

JLaw wrote:
Diode wrote:
Mine came with an old green strap but it is in bad shape, I have not looked for a nicer one yet, are they around>?
They're around. Probably find them at the gun shows easy enough. Cheaper than Dirt sells them, only reason I hate ordering one from them is by the time you have it shipped, that $6.00 sling costs me almost $15.00.

JLaw
Yeah! good point..... I need a few things so maybe I'll put together a whole care package... :) want me to add you a strap in when I place an order.???

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Diode wrote:

Yeah! good point..... I need a few things so maybe I'll put together a whole care package... :) want me to add you a strap in when I place an order.???
Sure! Let me know the $ amount, I'll settle up with you ASAP. PM me for details if needed.

Thank you, Diode!

JLaw

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”