Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Jason73
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Post by Jason73 »

toxin440 wrote:thanks for the welcome.

I was sighting in the iron sights - I'm on the paper at 50 yards... so no real worries at this point in time. I will check out the places you mentioned, would be nice to find a place i can shoot 7.62 FMJ's.

Been doing lots of reading here the past 2 hours, i love this forum! :)
So you want a range that allows evil FMJ ammo eh? Check out Tac Pro Shooting Center in Mingus. Its about 45 minutes west of Ft Worth but its well worth the drive.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've been meaning to check out Tac Pro some time, but it is far enough away that it would never be my primary range. I'm always a little bemused about the paucity of really good rifle ranges with distances out past 100 yards in the DFW area. When I lived in Pasadena, California, I had an 800 yard range 20 minutes from my house (and about 30 minutes from downtown Los Angeles), and a 1,000 range about 45 minutes from my house (a hour from downtown Los Angeles) . . . . . . in Pasadena, fer cryin' out loud. But here in Texas, where being a gun owner is so common as to not draw a second glance from anybody, quality long range rifle ranges are hard to come by.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

stcobb
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stcobb »

I too have had issues with Quail Creek. I was told I was firing too fast. (bull) My father was told that his blackpowder, single-shot, rifle was not empty when it clearly was and wouldn't fire because of the lack of being loaded, primed or hammer cocked. The same "rangemaster" is an arrogant old coot that proudly struts around in semi-fatigues and an Air Force t-shirt. His ridiculous range rules are supposedly from the Air Force. It was funny and almost dangerous when my retired Army dad confronted him about his stupidity. I thought my dad might shoot him. Heck, I half thought about it once or twice.

Yeesh...

I need a gun range that is close by my house.

135boomer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 135boomer »

That guy is full of bull. I was active duty Air Force for 24 years and never fired on a range like that. :patriot: Did he claim to be retired? If so, and he isn't he could land behind federal bars for a few years for impersonation. Demand to see his ID card if you go back. Have your dad show his so he must show his.
Viet Vet

brewster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by brewster »

toxin440 wrote:Quail creek - I will never drop another dime there again. Now I need to find some place to sight in my AK on a 25/50/100 yard range.
Those guys will be extinct before long. I'm in Keller too, and have been a member of the Haltom City Gun Range for a year now. Abslotutely love it...they have everyting from CHL pistol lanes to knockdown plates, and rifle lanes that are 50-200 yards. The range officers are as cool as cumcumbers without sacrificing safety. Check it out; you won't be disappointed.
Last edited by brewster on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody wang-chung tonight."

BluHog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BluHog »

Pardon me for butting in, but it seems to me that while the overwhelming majority here might agree they'd never give their business to Quail Creek, the people at QC won't have any idea how much business they're losing or how many customers they will NOT be getting because of the action of that one RO (and maybe others).

IOW, unless the owner(s) of QC are reading all these messages (and, yes, I know a link was sent), they won't know. But if they're TOLD by shooter after shooter why people aren't returning OR why they won't even go there, the RO(s) in question won't be hurt. Given that the range is in a good location for many people, maybe if those people called and spoke with the owner(s), and explained to him/her/them what their complaint is (or, especially, that they will not be customers because of the "testimonies" of so many of their former customers!), the owner(s) might take some action (and this could become a convenient range).

In the mid-seventies, as a very young airman, I went to the Fiat dealer in Monterey where I was stationed. I needed a new car and knew exactly what I wanted to buy. I just needed to find the car. I was ignored. After standing around and seeing several individuals who appeared to be employees look at me and turn away, I approached a woman at a desk near the entrance and asked her if she had any information on the 124 Sedan. "Whatever we have is on that table," she replied, motioning vaguely to a table behind me. I walked out and drove my old van over to the Fiat dealer in Salinas. A few moments after I stood looking over one of the 124s on the lot, a guy came up to me and I ended up buying a car that day.

Here's the point - the next week, I drove my brand-new Fiat to the Monterey dealer, parked it by the main entrance and went in to speak with the manager. I asked him to look at the 124 standing outside their entrance. I pointed out that the license plate frame did NOT have his dealership's name on it. I explained how I'd been ignored by many of his people on XYZ date and that I'd bought the car from his competitor that same day. I turned and walked out.

Just my two cents...
BluHog
Ellis County
NRA, TSRA, TAL, SAL, ALR, PGR, HOG, AMA, NATCA

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Blu Hog - I understand your position, but there have been a few forum members who have contacted Quail Creek to complain. From what has been posted in this and other threads, Quail Creek has not responded to any of the complaints. Based on zero feedback, most people seem to think that the owners of Quail Creek just don't care.
NRA Endowment Member

TexasKid747
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasKid747 »

As a shooter new to the sport, I have taken my family to QC 4 times. I have witnessed the RO take care of issues on several occasions and they were all just. Once it was theft where several shooters shoot but only one paid, another was a “Hollywood ego” type acting stupid and repeatedly sweeping the firing line while practicing a draw technique. Idiots. Both instances resulted in offenders being firmly kicked off the range.

I have also seen people with problems handled in a professional manner. The same person has been the RO for all my visits and the description of the "bad" RO is not of him. Maybe they have taken care of the issue. I’d bet they do read this forum, especially after the links were forwarded.

In any case, I hope the range continues the improvements that are being undertaken, and I will continue to shoot there. It is when dangerous activity occurs and is not addressed, when I will go somewhere else.

:patriot: :txflag:

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

stcobb wrote:It was funny and almost dangerous when my retired Army dad confronted him about his stupidity. I thought my dad might shoot him. Heck, I half thought about it once or twice.
wow, you actually were thinking about shooting the Range Officer because you disagreed with him about his policies (you know, the ones that are posted in the store where you pay...).
It sounds to me the only "injury" was ego.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TexasKid747 wrote:As a shooter new to the sport, I have taken my family to QC 4 times. I have witnessed the RO take care of issues on several occasions and they were all just. Once it was theft where several shooters shoot but only one paid, another was a “Hollywood ego” type acting stupid and repeatedly sweeping the firing line while practicing a draw technique. Idiots. Both instances resulted in offenders being firmly kicked off the range.

I have also seen people with problems handled in a professional manner. The same person has been the RO for all my visits and the description of the "bad" RO is not of him. Maybe they have taken care of the issue. I’d bet they do read this forum, especially after the links were forwarded.

In any case, I hope the range continues the improvements that are being undertaken, and I will continue to shoot there. It is when dangerous activity occurs and is not addressed, when I will go somewhere else.

You have witnessed more than your share of issues, in just 4 visits.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

DoubleJ wrote:
stcobb wrote:It was funny and almost dangerous when my retired Army dad confronted him about his stupidity. I thought my dad might shoot him. Heck, I half thought about it once or twice.
wow, you actually were thinking about shooting the Range Officer because you disagreed with him about his policies (you know, the ones that are posted in the store where you pay...).
It sounds to me the only "injury" was ego.
Do half thoughts count as real thoughts?

Maybe half thinking twice makes for a full thought.

Hurts my head just thinking about it.
:headscratch
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasKid747

Post by TexasKid747 »

Liberty wrote:
TexasKid747 wrote:As a shooter new to the sport, I have taken my family to QC 4 times. I have witnessed the RO take care of issues on several occasions and they were all just. Once it was theft where several shooters shoot but only one paid, another was a “Hollywood ego” type acting stupid and repeatedly sweeping the firing line while practicing a draw technique. Idiots. Both instances resulted in offenders being firmly kicked off the range.

You have witnessed more than your share of issues, in just 4 visits.
These were patron caused and not initiated by the RO that has been referenced.

Feb. 1: I visited a local indoor range for the first time. Near the end of the of the 2+ hour shooting time, six COMPLETELY UNEDUCATED shooters arrived. When it was observed that one person was trying to load her semi-auto pistol one round at a time we became instantly concerned. Then, she dropped it into the range... One of her companions tried to figure out her weapon for 15 minutes without getting a shot off. Yet another that had no clue what to do, swept the line repeatedly when she kept turning around to ask what to do next! We happened to have an NRA certified instructor in our group and coincidentally we were leaving, he was able to help them first to be safe, then at least begin to shoot correctly. He signed up these six, and three additional, new customers for an introductory shooting and handling class.

My question was, how in the heck does any range let people with ZERO experience on their range with zero guidance?

I will go back to this range, but if this occurs again I will try somewhere else.

:fire

dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

This is one of my concerns with bringing my son to the range with me. Some fool sweeps the area and the gun goes off type of thing. It is amazing how outright unthinking people can be with a firearm.

It just amazes me that someone can NOT have a clue on how to LOAD a gun. That just seems like common sen......wait a minute, nevermind.

But it brings up the point that everyone should have the right to own a gun, but then do you make it a rule that they have to do "X" before they get it. The framers didnt think that (course the framers would be rolling over their graves if they knew what people have done to the constitution, but that is a different gripe) there should be anything imposed like having to take a course, etc.
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

BluHog

Post by BluHog »

WildBill wrote:Blu Hog - I understand your position, but there have been a few forum members who have contacted Quail Creek to complain. From what has been posted in this and other threads, Quail Creek has not responded to any of the complaints. Based on zero feedback, most people seem to think that the owners of Quail Creek just don't care.
Oh, I agree. That's certainly is what it looks like.

I've read here where some of the people had notified the owners. And, as you pointed out (and I referenced in my post), those owners have been sent a link to this forum. If they are reading these messages, and if they have, indeed, removed the offending RO, I would think they might want to post something here to that effect - unless that'd be a violation of the TOUs for a "vendor" or something.

On another note - I finally got to visit a range (Alpine) and fire my new Sigma. My son was up from Fort Hood and he had two 9 mils (Kel-Tec & Ruger), his Remington 770 and a S&W .357 that he bought there just before we walked over to the range (he had a few bucks burning holes in his pocket since he spent so little of it in Iraq). I wasn't sure what to expect, not having visited a range in many years, but it was a good experience. No attitudes that I noticed. Pretty complete shop there, too, from my limited perspective. Being as far south of the DFW metroplex as I am, I imagine we'll be back. I'd still like to check Bullseye in Duncanville, as well.
BluHog
Ellis County
NRA, TSRA, TAL, SAL, ALR, PGR, HOG, AMA, NATCA

TexasKid747

Post by TexasKid747 »

This is my only complaint about QC...

Question:
Quail Creek is the only range I have been to in my adult life, are any other ranges marked better with regards to a "lane?" I have a hard time deciding which spot on the backboard is for the spot from where I am shooting. I'd like to see chalk lines as on a sports field that marked actual lanes. That would be cool.

Okay, one more...

Why the 2 seconds between shots rule? :nono: It doesn't apply in real life situations and it would be good for home defenders to have experienced faster shooting prior to actually needing it...

They are making improvements out there, like adding more space to the pistol range. Last visit I shot my Taurus PT92 next to my daughter on the 25 yard range. It was fun but not very practical.

That is enough for now... Lol. :txflag:

Return to “Shooting Ranges”