CHL fatally shoots teenage burglary suspect

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Wildscar
Posts in topic: 1

CHL fatally shoots teenage burglary suspect

Post by Wildscar »

CHL shooting this morning. At first reports it looks like a clean shoot.
DallasNews.com wrote:Man fatally shoots teenage burglary suspect in east Oak Cliff 3:23 PM CT
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 8.html?npc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

03:36 PM CST on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
By STEVE THOMPSON / The Dallas Morning News
stevethompson@dallasnews.com

A teenage burglary suspect was fatally shot in an east Oak Cliff home this morning by the homeowner’s son.

Around 11 a.m., a resident in the 300 block of Hobson Street left her home, shortly before her adult son came by to drop off a newspaper, Dallas police say. As he pulled up, he saw the front door had been kicked in.

Police say 17-year-old Gabriel Flores, who was inside the home, pulled out a handgun and fired it at the resident’s son.

The son, who has a concealed-weapons permit, shot back and hit the teenager.

A short time later, Flores died at a local hospital.

Police have not identified the resident or her son and did not say whether the son was injured.

Officials say the case will probably be referred to a grand jury.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL fatally shoots teenage burglary suspect

Post by DoubleJ »

Holy Frijoles, they didn't even mention the criminal as a "victim, slain without cause" or that the shooter "oughtta be charged" or some such nonsense.

okay, back to reality. first thing that comes to mind is if you see your front door kicked in, you shouldn't go in. sounds to me like this guy didn't, but the threat came to him, and he responded.

if that's the way it went down, then kudos to him.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Well done.
Native Texian

asleepatthereel

Post by asleepatthereel »

Teenager? :headscratch How about burglar? Looks like he picked the wrong house, and the son saved us alot of tax dollars, and should be awarded.

Someone should have warned the burglar that getting shot at is an occupational hazzard.
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

DoubleJ wrote:okay, back to reality. first thing that comes to mind is if you see your front door kicked in, you shouldn't go in.
Depends; if I think mom's in there, I'm going in.

k6gixx

Post by k6gixx »

KD5NRH wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:okay, back to reality. first thing that comes to mind is if you see your front door kicked in, you shouldn't go in.
Depends; if I think mom's in there, I'm going in.
I have to agree. I don't know who is or isn't home at the time, and I feel it is my responsibility to protect my family.
The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

oh, absolutely. I was using a general rule of thumb. we have no way of knowing if the son knew one way or another if Mom was home.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

jpierce30

Post by jpierce30 »

If I come home or to my mom's house and see the door kicked in, I am going in with my weapon drawn expecting to find some criminal inside. If I feel my family might be in danger, I will not wait for the police, they can come and write the reports later.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

The real shame of this story is that this death will be included in the statistics for "children killed by gun violence."

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

grand jury?

why????
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

CopOnce

Post by CopOnce »

mr surveyor wrote:grand jury?

why????
Just like if a police officer shoots someone totally within the guidelines of the law, it goes before a Grand Jury. What we are reading about is in the media...What the Grand Jury will hear and read are the cold hard facts from law enforcements investigation.

I'm not saying he did anything wrong, it's just procedure and I agree with it.
Married - Same woman over 42 years
Two children
Eight Grand children
Two Great Grand children
Army, 101st Airborne, 1963-1966 :patriot:
Vietnam Vet - 1965-1966
Ex-Texas Peace Officer (City Cop) :txflag:
Utah CCW - Carry Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro 9mm :fire

Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

When I read between the lines, all I get is "one less dirt bag in the world".

Why is that the families of dead dirt-bags always come out of the wood work expecting to be "paid" for the loss of their childs life?

Here's a thought-if a CHL holder is involved with a good (legal) shoot wherein the perpetrator is a minor, and the CHL holder has to go before the grand jury, it should be his/her right to SUE the parents of dead dirt-bag to pay for his/her legal defense. In my mind, you raise a criminal, YOU are the responsible person and should be held accountable for the actions of your minor child.

I'm sure some of you have heard about minor children having problems at school and the parent(s) being held legally responsible for them-why shouldn't it apply here?

I know that some kids grow up in normal households but they are still afflicted with chemical imbalances, or substance abuse problems, and the parents can't control them 24/7. Kids can emancipate their parents now-a-days. If your child is so bad, and so NOT representative of what you have instilled in them-put them in the hands of a professional who can help them BEFORE you wind up on the wrong end of a legal bill they amass for you.

Just thinking out loud here, and maybe my voice of reason is asleep and not watching my mouth run off. Your thoughts?

AWB09

Post by AWB09 »

Kawabuggy wrote:When I read between the lines, all I get is "one less dirt bag in the world".

Why is that the families of dead dirt-bags always come out of the wood work expecting to be "paid" for the loss of their childs life?
Because his job as a criminal helped pay the rent.
feed the hogs

bridge

Post by bridge »

Not that I disagree with making the parents of scum-bag minors responsible for their actions, I do...but I don't think 17 is a minor in Texas. I believe you are an adult at 17 in the eyes of our state government. I think. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Either way, I hope that the facts are as clear cut as they appear and the grand jury doesn't have to waste too much time on this one.

CopOnce

Post by CopOnce »

bridge wrote:Not that I disagree with making the parents of scum-bag minors responsible for their actions, I do...but I don't think 17 is a minor in Texas. I believe you are an adult at 17 in the eyes of our state government. I think. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.
You are correct about someone 17 being an adult in the state of Texas. They can receive every punishment of anyone 18 and older other than the death sentence.
Married - Same woman over 42 years
Two children
Eight Grand children
Two Great Grand children
Army, 101st Airborne, 1963-1966 :patriot:
Vietnam Vet - 1965-1966
Ex-Texas Peace Officer (City Cop) :txflag:
Utah CCW - Carry Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro 9mm :fire

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”