September Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

ProjectS15
Posts in topic: 3

Re: September Applications

Post by ProjectS15 »

TxDrifter wrote:So 90 days from the Oct 1 date of "Processing Application" and I decided to call and see if I can find out anything further. The lady that answered was very polite and helpful for what she was allowed to say. She said they are waiting on "Gulf Coast" counties' background check but could not tell me which ones when I asked. I am assuming Harris and possibly Montgomery. I don't suspect Grimes as we were not hit as hard and if the efficiency of the DMV here in Anderson is an example then I can assume the other agencies might be as good. Of course you never know when you assume. LOL.

I will go ahead and write my representatives. I realize with Ike they may have had some problems, but this is bordering on ridiculous. What is worse is that much of it seems to be centering on a handful of counties. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact one of the local news consumer advocacy groups.

..... the wait continues....
I would suggest your local representative and senator that represents your district.
I hope your plastic comes in soon. I just got news my plastic was being issued and I just got the return info for my Ruger LCP recall.
2 weeks without that as my carry. I'll just lug around the 1911
Harris County
Took CHL Class Sept 27th
Mailed Application to DPS Sept 29th
Application received by DPS Oct 3rd
Processing Oct 3rd
Emailed District 135 Representative Dec 11th
Emailed Texas Senator Dan Patrick Dec 11th
Tammy Called Dec 23rd
Application Completed Dec 29th
Plastic in hand Dec 30th

TxDrifter
Posts in topic: 21

Post by TxDrifter »

Will likely do that. I recently sold my 92FS and now have 3 .45s. One was what I had bought for carry purposes since it was smaller than the 92FS. One is an Kimber UCII SS, another is a Kimber Crimson Carry II, and the third is a Kimber Tactical Custom. The first two are aluminum frames with 3" barrels and the Crimson Carry has a laser sight. So far have 350 rounds through the UC II and no problems. Only have about two mags worth through the CC II and the Tactical was bought used and it is an aluminum frame with a 5" barrel. I love the single action of these and they are so much more accurate than the old 92FS.

My brother thinks I can't conceal carry a .45 though. I've got news for him. LOL A lot of people do and I would much rather have a likely one shot stop than a three shot with a .32 caliber.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

ProjectS15

Post by ProjectS15 »

TxDrifter wrote:Will likely do that. I recently sold my 92FS and now have 3 .45s. One was what I had bought for carry purposes since it was smaller than the 92FS. One is an Kimber UCII SS, another is a Kimber Crimson Carry II, and the third is a Kimber Tactical Custom. The first two are aluminum frames with 3" barrels and the Crimson Carry has a laser sight. So far have 350 rounds through the UC II and no problems. Only have about two mags worth through the CC II and the Tactical was bought used and it is an aluminum frame with a 5" barrel. I love the single action of these and they are so much more accurate than the old 92FS.

My brother thinks I can't conceal carry a .45 though. I've got news for him. LOL A lot of people do and I would much rather have a likely one shot stop than a three shot with a .32 caliber.
I got a Kimber UC II in SS as well :evil2:
Harris County
Took CHL Class Sept 27th
Processing Oct 3rd
Tammy Called Dec 23rd
Plastic in hand Dec 30th

SkinnyB78
Posts in topic: 12

Post by SkinnyB78 »

SkinnyB78 wrote:Update (only cause I'm losing hope)

9/6 class completed
9/8 packet mailed
9/11 return receipt received
9/13 Hurricane Ike hits
9/29 packet not yet entered into system
11/13 "processing app"
11/13 Call DPS - Awaiting Background Check (Harris County blah blah blah)
11/20 "Processing app"
(check almost everyday always "processing app")
12/7 "Processing app"
12/7 Sent letter to Gov Perry's office
12/8 Sent letter to Riddle's office
12/8 Sent letter to Driver's office (edited)
12/8 Sent letter to DPS
12/30 "Application Completed" License issued and Certificate active

I'm sorry if my shrilling like a little girl up and down the streets of Houston was deafening to others.

:thewave

Still awaiting plastic in hand day 105
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member, IDPA member, Motorcyclist, Cyclist, Photographer

Morgan
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Morgan »

It's recently seemed that "application complete" and "mailing day" have coincided... so I'd be surprised if you don't have the plastic very very soon... tomorrow or Friday.

SkinnyB78

Post by SkinnyB78 »

Morgan wrote:It's recently seemed that "application complete" and "mailing day" have coincided... so I'd be surprised if you don't have the plastic very very soon... tomorrow or Friday.
You are correct, UPS showed up with in minutes after I read the DPS website and posted here. I need to update my status to "License in hand".

:woohoo

Wally World here I come :mrgreen:

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

So using another member's letter on here as a base to modify for my own I wrote the following to my state reps. House and Senate.
Dear Representative Kolkhurst and Senator Ogden:

I am writing to you to express my concern over the time that it is taking the Department of Public Safety to process CHL applications, particularly for residents in and around Harris County.

I completed my CHL training course on August 30th and sent my completed application to Austin on September 2nd. On September 15th I received a letter requesting a better copy of my DD-214 that showed my honorable discharge status from the USAF. On October 1st the status of my application changed online to "Processing Application" and has remained so to this day. Using the October 1st date as reference it has been more than 90 days since my application started processing and if you use the September 4th date I was given over the phone on December 30th as the receipt date then it has been even longer, including a delay of providing a new copy of my DD-214. The DPS representative I spoke with was very polite and was only able to tell me that they were still waiting on background checks and would not divulge which counties were suspect as they were no longer allowed to.

Based on information from others with similar experiences on a forum for Texas CHL holders (TexasCHLforum.com). I can deduce that the main problem is with Harris and/or Montgomery Counties. Harris County applicants are notorious for having to wait more than 120+ days while Tarrant and other counties surrounding DFW have their plastic “in hand” in less than 40 days.

As I am sure that you already know, GC §411.177(b) states, "The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:"

(1) issue the license;
(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied;
(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.

I have never received any notification, other than when I called and spoke with someone, that there would be a delay, not even the distributed “Ike letter” that was sent to many Harris and Brazoria county applicants. As a matter of fact the DPS representative on the phone also could not inform me as to an estimate of the time frame it will take to complete the application either. As a conservative, law-abiding citizen, and an honorably discharged veteran residing in House District 13 and Senate District 5, I am asking you, as my state representatives, to use your particular influence to ensure that my application is processed to completion and CHL issued in the most expeditious manner possible.

I would further urge you to use your best efforts and influence to identify and remove whatever inefficiencies exist in CHL applications processing in Harris and its surrounding counties, such that all law-abiding and eligible applicants receive their CHLs in a timely manner.

I thank you in advance for your attention to this matter and would appreciate your response to this communication.

Kind Regards,
We shall see what happens. I thought it was important to continue to express it is a greater problem with the gulf coast counties and that we want it resolved to everyone's benefit, not just ours as an individual. The more law-abiding citizens that have their CHLs the better for everyone's protection.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

ProjectS15 wrote: I got a Kimber UC II in SS as well :evil2:
I love it, which is why I bought two more Kimbers :lol: . It fits well with my Milt Sparks VMII. I have the Meprolight sights on it as well. I'm still trying to get used to carrying it while at home since I'm still waiting on my permit. :waiting:
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member

SkinnyB78

Post by SkinnyB78 »

:tiphat:

Thank you folks for keeping me truly entertained during this adventure. I must say adios as I received my plastic in the mail yesterday.

Happy New Year to ME!!!

ProjectS15

Post by ProjectS15 »

congrats on the license :hurry:
Harris County
Took CHL Class Sept 27th
Processing Oct 3rd
Tammy Called Dec 23rd
Plastic in hand Dec 30th

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

So this is the canned response from one of my reps. Not very promising, but I figured it was worth posting for follow through.
Mr. XXXX:

Thank you for taking the time to write to Rep. Kolkhorst regarding the processing time of CHL applications by DPS. I apologize that Rep. Kolkhorst is not able to respond to you personally but she has been traveling outside of the district with her family before session begins and will not be returning to the office for another couple of days.

Rep. Kolkhorst worked very hard on improving the functionality and efficiency of DPS during the 2008 Sunset Review process. Many of DPS' problems are a result of an outdated system. It's Rep. Kolkhorst's intent to improve basic functions, such as application processing, by giving DPS the updated tools they need to operate and serve more effectively.

I encourage you to follow the DPS Sunset legislation during the 81st legislative session as it's aim is to better the agency's performance.

Thank you again and please feel free to contact our office at anytime should you have any additional questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Taurie Randermann
Legislative Aide
Representative Lois W. Kolkhorst
Texas House District 13
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768-2910
Phone: 512.463.0600
Fax: 512.463.5240
I did find some interesting things in the items for the 2009 legislature in some of the documents. These stood out for this forum.
DPS Sunset. The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) will undergo Sunset review during the 2009 session. Legislators may consider proposals to structure and operate the driver’s license program with a civilian business management model rather than the law enforcement command structure now used. Lawmakers also may consider other proposals for organizational changes to the agency, while trying to increase retention and recruitment of staff.

Handguns. Legislators may debate allowing holders of concealed handgun permits to carry their weapons openly. They also may consider allowing handgun licensees to carry their weapons onto college campuses, either public or private. Proposals also may emerge to clarify rules under which school districts enact policies on how and when district employees may bring concealed handguns onto school property.
I'm betting that last line is in response to the school district that is allowing teachers to conceal carry.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member

ccabb0tt07
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ccabb0tt07 »

I sent my packet in 9/22.

Today I called my State Senator's office, and left a message with the liaison. Surprisingly to my delight she contacted me this evening. She is going to call the DPS in the morning to get it on the fast track, and then call me back. I am pretty impressed with the service I am receiving from the Senator's office. I would suggest any of you still waiting to not hesitate to call your senator. They seem to be more then happy to help. She also told me it is very easy to track my application down to get it done.

Great site and I should become a regular! :cheers2: :txflag:
9/22 Sent Packet
10/1 Received PIN
1/7 Contacted Senator
1/12 Contacted by DPS
1/24 Issued
1/27 In Hand

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

At least you received a better response than I got. My rep will remember it come the primaries and I vote.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

Is there anyone else from September still waiting?
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member

Totally Frustrated

Post by Totally Frustrated »

Yes, I'm still waiting. Faxed letter to Governors office, my Reps office, and emailed Senators office last week. no replys from any of them at this time. Typical. as my sign in name states, I'm Totally Frustrated. I think I'll give up, tomorrow you know who gets into office and they'll probably try to take the things away soon anyway.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”