Amarillo homeowner repels alleged invaders

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Amarillo homeowner repels alleged invaders

Post by seamusTX »

Amarillo, January 7 -- A homeowner shot at two men who allegedly broke into his occupied home. One man who was shot ran outside and died. The other fled, leaving a trail of blood.

Police are treating the incident as a justified defensive shooting, pending investigation.

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/010809/new_news2.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some interesting unanswered questions: Apparently the home had been broken into twice in recent weeks and had also been the scene of an armed robbery that was not reported to police.

- Jim

flb_78
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Amarillo homeowner repels alleged invaders

Post by flb_78 »

Previous break-ins had been reported, but nothing was ever found or anyone ever prosecuted.

Criminal defense attorney Jeff Blackburn was on TV last night saying the castle doctrine is a bone headed piece of legislation that will result in more shootings and was pandering to the gun lobby.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I think he has a little to much sympathy for his clientele.

No matter. The majority of the legislature and the governor think differently.

- Jim

LabRat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LabRat »

flb_78 wrote:Previous break-ins had been reported, but nothing was ever found or anyone ever prosecuted.

Criminal defense attorney Jeff Blackburn was on TV last night saying the castle doctrine is a bone headed piece of legislation that will result in more shootings and was pandering to the gun lobby.
Of course he's going to whine. No prosecution of the homeowner....no need for a defense attorney.
No BG to defend.....no need for a defense attorney.

Just his wallet talking, IMO.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

I can't say this enough, the more BGs get shot, the less BGs will be around. Whether from them making the decision or the lead making it for them. :fire

Who doesn't want to live in a world where BGs are afraid of breaking into ANY house? Where they know they have a 1 in 10, or even 1 in 3 chance of getting pumped full of lead? When robbing people is no longer easier than a real job due to safety hazards, what do you think they'll do? (Hopefully move to New York)
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

I located the video of Blackburn's comments...they are moronic. I know him and am shocked he said it. I'll make a point to ask him the next time we are at the same seminar or something. He enjoys stirring the pot, don't give him the pleasure.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Since you know the guy, you might want to ask him what he thinks you're supposed to do when armed robbers are forcibly breaking into your house.

I can see both sides of the argument if you're talking about letting a robber steal your wrist watch or car; but when they break into your house, they are announcing by their actions that they have no compunction about robbing, killing, or raping you and other members of your family.

It has gone down that way many times.

- Jim

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Link to video with Jeff Blackburn. He refers to us as gun freaks.

http://myhighplains.com/media_player.php?media_id=52111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

So, prior to the castle doctrine you should not shoot someone breaking into your house? Or where there more restrictions, like they had to have a gun or something along those lines?

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

seamusTX wrote:Since you know the guy, you might want to ask him what he thinks you're supposed to do when armed robbers are forcibly breaking into your house.
Catch and release. For best results they should be released in Blackburn's house at 2am.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

atxgun wrote:So, prior to the castle doctrine you should not shoot someone breaking into your house? Or where there more restrictions, like they had to have a gun or something along those lines?
It has always been legal in Texas to use deadly force to stop attempted murder, robbery, burglary, kidnapping, and rape, along with some other crimes.

Castle doctrine only clarified the situation with respect to vehicles and places of employment:
PC §9.32 (b)(1)(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;
(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; ...
- Jim

Henry Dearborn

Post by Henry Dearborn »

News Channel Four was fairly even handed in coverage. They quoted one local attorney as saying-"If you are breaking into people's houses and beating people up getting shot should be considered an occupational hazard".

Wonder who that was? :mrgreen:

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Well, I know who I'd never get for a defense attorney... not because of his politics, but because of his logic. He's an IDIOT.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

That video absolutely freaked me out. That was one of the stupidest comments I have ever come across. Does he do it just for attention?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

atxgun wrote:So, prior to the castle doctrine you should not shoot someone breaking into your house? Or where there more restrictions, like they had to have a gun or something along those lines?
Prior to the castle doctrine, the law said that you had a duty to retreat, if that was possible, before defending yourself.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”