October Application

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Rollin2008
Posts in topic: 10

Re: October Application

Post by Rollin2008 »

congrats ProjectS15!!! :cheers2: are u ready for the wally walk?? hope to see some pics

Hos
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Hos »

yeah, congrats!

I'm still waiting on the mail and it's been a week now but I realize it's holiday time but this last step waiting on the mail is painful!
God, Goats, and Guns

badlnb
Posts in topic: 12

Post by badlnb »

It has now been 69 days since TDPS received my application and there appears to be no change in its status according to the website. Still waiting.....
10/24/08 Application Received
11/14/08 Processing Application
1/21/09 (90 days) Called TDPS "Waiting on Harris county B/G Check. Emailed my State Reps.
1/25/09 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
1/29/09 PLASTIC IN HAND
Total time = 98 days.

Morgan
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Morgan »

You're over the 60 days... give them a call, per their own suggestion.

SIGnage
Posts in topic: 9

Post by SIGnage »

Application Approved!!! At least that is what they told me on the phone.

Well it has been 91 days since the DPS recieved my packet. It has been processing for at least 78 days, that I am aware of.
I had called the DPS a few weeks ago and they stated that they were still waiting on my background check.
I just called for the second time and was able to talk to a person handling my application. I was told that it was approved and that she was just waiting for my plastic to come in. My status online still shows Processing Application. I guess maybe it stays this way until they have the plastic ready to be mailed out. Perhaps this is considered part of the Application Process as well. Oh well, at least I know that time is growing near.

Sept. 27th: Took CHL Class
Oct. 2nd: Mailed completed appication to DPS
Oct. 3rd: Application packet recieved by DPS
Oct. 17th: Recieved PIN by email/ Processing Application
Oct. 18th: Recieved PIN by snail mail; dated Oct. 16th.
Jan. 2nd: I was told by phone that application was approved, just waiting for plastic to come in.

Topic author
ProjectS15
Posts in topic: 14

Post by ProjectS15 »

congrats man, which county are you from?
Harris County
Took CHL Class Sept 27th
Mailed Application to DPS Sept 29th
Application received by DPS Oct 3rd
Processing Oct 3rd
Emailed District 135 Representative Dec 11th
Emailed Texas Senator Dan Patrick Dec 11th
Tammy Called Dec 23rd
Application Completed Dec 29th
Plastic in hand Dec 30th

SIGnage

Post by SIGnage »

ProjectS15 wrote:congrats man, which county are you from?
Hays County.

Congrats to you too!!!!
‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’
Patrick Henry

badlnb

Post by badlnb »

I called TDPS shortly after my last post to see if I could get a more detailed status on my application and talked to a woman and all she said was 'we are processing your application - waiting on the Background check'.
Well, Yeah isn't that what it's all about; a background check?
It's now Day 74 and there is no change. I know there have been holidays and all so I will wait until I reach 90 days to call them again if my application status still hasn't changed or I don't get a letter from them.

This morning, one of my co workers told me she took the CHL class at a well known place in Houston this past weekend and the instructor there told the class she was in not to "Bug" TDPS by phone unless it has been over 180 days. I told her that's not what I have read nor what I have been told. Has anyone else herd this?
1/21/09 (90 days) Called TDPS "Waiting on Harris county B/G Check. Emailed my State Reps.
1/29/09 PLASTIC IN HAND
Total time = 98 days.

bridge
Posts in topic: 11

Post by bridge »

badlnb wrote:This morning, one of my co workers told me she took the CHL class at a well known place in Houston this past weekend and the instructor there told the class she was in not to "Bug" TDPS by phone unless it has been over 180 days. I told her that's not what I have read nor what I have been told. Has anyone else herd this?
Never heard that nor should an instructor be propagating such information. Law says 60 days. If it's a day over 60 and you've heard nothing you should contact your state reps. That seems to be getting the best results.

badlnb

Post by badlnb »

Bridge,

It looks like both of our Applications got to Austin the same day. I will be interested to see which of us will get plastic first.
1/29/09 PLASTIC IN HAND
Total time = 98 days.

Morgan
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Morgan »

Not only that but the DPS website itself simply says, "Please don't contact us until it's been 60 days." Seems pretty cut and dried... feel free to call on day 61. By all means, be polite, and don't call them daily every day after 60 or anything...but geeze. :)

bridge

Post by bridge »

badlnb wrote:Bridge,

It looks like both of our Applications got to Austin the same day. I will be interested to see which of us will get plastic first.
And we're just across the lake from one another. We also have the same state senator, Mike Jackson. I emailed him and my rep, Larry Taylor last week and received the following from Rep Taylor:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Representative Taylor with your concerns dealing with the Texas Department of Public Safety (TDPS) and your Concealed Handgun License (CHL). Currently I am in communication with TDPS to receive some answers to your case and see if your application may be expedited. I have also been told that recently the TDPS has increased personnel for Galveston County area and the TDPS is also under reconstruction per the Sunset Review Board. Hopefully, both will help these issues and I will be in touch with you once I find out more on your case. Also, someone with the TDPS may be calling you to inform you of your application.

Thank you again for contacting us and please feel free to keep me up to date if you hear of anything new from TDPS.
Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXX
Administrative Aide
Representative Larry Taylor
Capitol Office E2.610
512.463.XXXX

I also received a call from TDPS yesterday! I shall return it in the morning and see what they have to say...assuming I can get through.

bridge

Post by bridge »

Ok, I spoke with TDPS and they told me they are still awaiting the "Field Reports" from Harris and Galveston Co. Evidently neither have been been done. They informed me there is a sizable back log and that they have requested expedited treatment of mine. However, they make this same expedited request over 20 times a day to Harris and Galveston Counties. I took that to mean nothing is going to happen any time soon.

badlnb

Post by badlnb »

bridge wrote: They informed me there is a sizable back log and that they have requested expedited treatment of mine. However, they make this same expedited request over 20 times a day to Harris and Galveston Counties. I took that to mean nothing is going to happen any time soon.
Yep, When every one has to be Expedited to get things done within the mandated timeline, no one is. It sounds to me like your packet just got moved from one large stack to another large stack.

I bet if their was a law that TDPS had to have Back Ground Checks completed within 90 days or the back ground check would be free and the fee money returned to the applicant, they would be able to free up/add all kinds of resources to get them all done in a timely fashion.

Then again to be fair, I am sure it is not the fine people in the TDPS causing this problem and I am sure they are doing all they can. It seems to me it is the system they are trying to work in that is to blame.
1/29/09 PLASTIC IN HAND
Total time = 98 days.

SIGnage

Post by SIGnage »

Well it has been 102 days now since mine was received by TDPS and it is still showing Processing Application. I last called on day 91 and was told that they were just waiting on the plastic to come in to complete the process.

A while back our Sheriff passed away. This may have been a reason for the holdup. He was a good man and had just been
re-elected. Meanwhile, I'll just take every day in stride, and try to be patient. :waiting:

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”