Almost a disaster in Fort Worth

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Broncrider
Posts in topic: 3

Almost a disaster in Fort Worth

Post by Broncrider »

Almost a disaster in Fort Worth, I was at the gun show Saturday at Will Rogers and lo and behold a gun discharged inside the show. I later talked with an exhibitor that had the booth next to the incident. He informed me that the dealer next to him had a 45 pistol on his table he was selling for a friend and he didnt check it. a passerby stopped and picked up the pistol and luckily he was pointing it at the floor when he squeezed the trigger. it was packed with people like a subway car in new york. there was barely enough room to get down the aisles. it could have been a real tragedy. It was amazing that no one got hurt. I couldnt beleive that any exhibitor would not check every weapon he has at the show.
Broncrider
"I'm your huckleberry"---Doc Holiday, Tombstone

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Almost a disaster in Fort Worth

Post by HighVelocity »

Complacency is the main ingredient when creating a disaster. :mad5
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I'm glad I didn't go. I figured all the prices were still inflated anyway.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Incidents like that do not promote our RKBA. :banghead: Quite the contrary, incidents like that prove that firearms should not be in the hands of...oh, well, you know what the 'antis' say.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I was planning on attending this event but decided against it at the last minute. I am glad I didn't attend after hearing about this.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Oldgringo wrote:Incidents like that do not promote our RKBA. :banghead: Quite the contrary, incidents like that prove that firearms should not be in the hands of...oh, well, you know what the 'antis' say.
I like Jeff Cooper's approach: No gun can be made foolproof. Fools should keep their hands off of machinery.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

10mmillie

Post by 10mmillie »

That happened in Austin around 2000. A dealer messing with a 1911 fired a round into the floor. Luckily no one got hit.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Broncrider wrote:He informed me that the dealer next to him had a 45 pistol on his table he was selling for a friend and he didnt check it. a passerby stopped and picked up the pistol and luckily he was pointing it at the floor when he squeezed the trigger.
How early in the show was it? I can't imagine a gun sitting out for more than a few minutes without some potential buyer checking the chamber.

couzin

Post by couzin »

It was about 1P or so. My wife and I were an aisle over - scared the crap outta me, i heard a distinct beewweeeuuuu go past us, I guess a fragment as one of the other dealers said the round went into a box - Fort Worth's finest were there in nanoseconds. We were at Winchesters a few months back and a guy on the range put a round through his hand, now this at a gun show - my wife is ready to sell everything and never have anything to do with shooting sports again.

Other than the ND - show was good. Handgun prices for the most part were not more than normal. EBR's were prominant. Picked up a NIB S&W 360PD for $710.00. The dealers were definately processing a lot of paper. I have never seen so many Taurus's (Taurii?) being sold.
Last edited by couzin on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

You'd think someone like that would check it out of sheer reflex when he was handed the firearm in the first place.

bridge

Post by bridge »

Man, it's a miracle no one was injured. I assume the dealer received a hefty fine or some sort of ticket from the LEOs. I thought all the guns for sale were required to be locked open? If I recall correctly, the last show I went to in Pasadena had all the handguns zip-tied with the slides open. The Dallas Morning News is going to be all over this one. I can see the headline now, "Women and Children Shot At During Gun Show".

Morgan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Morgan »

Every time something is fool proofed, someone comes along and builds a better fool.

I'm a little stunned by this.... I've been to ONE gun show in my life and every handgun I saw was locked open with a loop through the breech. Is that not standard procedure?

Topic author
Broncrider

Post by Broncrider »

I don't know about a fine, but they made the dealer pack up and leave.
Broncrider
"I'm your huckleberry"---Doc Holiday, Tombstone

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Morgan wrote:Every time something is fool proofed, someone comes along and builds a better fool.
I love that saying. I'll be borrowing it from time to time, with your permission. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Morgan wrote:Every time something is fool proofed, someone comes along and builds a better fool.
I love that saying. I'll be borrowing it from time to time, with your permission. :mrgreen:
Here's another one for your amusement and use with my blessings:

"It's not possible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

They do incredibly stupid things that no rational person would think of in a million years.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”