Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why?

Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)
33%
Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)
12%
Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns
12%
Don't know how to go about getting one
4%
Other
39%

Total votes: 275

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Crossfire »

Almost every class I have one person who decides not to go ahead and get their CHL. Sometimes it is the added responsibility to handle conflict in a different way than they envisioned that puts them off. Sometimes they are afraid of the background check. Others are put off because they thought, after getting a license, they could be "just like police officers!"

I don't pressure them. If there is ANY reason they don't feel comfortable getting licensed, then I know they won't carry anyway. Or maybe shouldn't carry.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

longtooth
Posts in topic: 9

Post by longtooth »

Flint, have seen it the same way. Brit will let anyone that wants to sit through the class do so as long as they are not disruptive. I have set through it w/ everyone I have trained. Family members of those going through the class have done so too. Don't understand it either.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KBCraig »

I think it's a great policy to allow people to "audit" the class for free.

If I were an instructor I would allow it, with the condition that they not ask questions during class (that time is for paying customers). But otherwise, it would cost nothing extra for someone to sit through the class, space permitting, since they're not getting a packet or certificate or range time.

And at the end of the classroom portion, they might decide to pony up the money for the proficiency test and certificate, so they can get their CHL!

Kevin

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+1 KB. I know some of the folks in the big city that have a waiting list & classes are always full cannot do that. In the places where there is room I too think it a very good idea.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

switch
Posts in topic: 1

CHL fees and time and computer based training.

Post by switch »

They just changed the law last year. Renewal fees are 1/2 price for seniors now, just like for the low income. Also, the renewal licenses are for 5 years.

I do not think splitting up the classes is that great. I offer the option of taking the classroom over one day/evening (or several evenings) and going to the range some other time. Most prefer to get it all done in one day.

I took the defensive driving on-line and hated it. Stuck at the computer, could not go pee. I kept missing the questions about birthday, birth place, etc. and got locked out and had to call and get the computer turned back on. It took about 50% longer than just going to a class.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I have the money for it and can easily make time for it. I just haven't convinced myself that I need it.

I have a good job that lets me live in the good side of town. I work at a military installation that has fences and armed guards. My side of town has just about everything I need, including a gun range. I have not gone to the bad side of town in years and have no reason to go there at all. I'm a very casual guy with no enemies. I'm the kind of guy that will hand $5 or a bottle of water to the old man at the corner with the sign that reads, "Hungry. Please help". I'm the guy that will smile and wave if I have eye contact with some random person at a stoplight.

I know a lot of you carry a weapon "because you'll never know when you'll need it". That is true but I've gone through 40+ years of my life without needing one. The only fights I were ever in were organized matches in martial arts. And as I get older my lifestlye becomes more and more simple. I even hate loud music in smokey bars now.

In short, I have all the resources to get a CHL. But I have all the reasons why I don't believe I need one. I just haven't found a strong enough reason why I need one. But I'm still looking...

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

propellerhead wrote:I just haven't found a strong enough reason why I need one. But I'm still looking...
Do you have a smoke detector in your home? You do? Why? Have you ever needed it?

Diode
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Diode »

propellerhead wrote:I know a lot of you carry a weapon "because you'll never know when you'll need it".
Will I ever need the handgun I will carry? Doubt it!
Will my vote ever decide an election? Doubt it!

But I tell you what, I'll will not be one of the those poor souls like in England
standing around wondering where the hell their rights went. If for no other reason, I will have a CHL and I will Vote because I have that right and I want my sons to have that right. If being able to carry a weapon is not your cup of tea Propellerhead that's cool, there is nothing wrong with that!!

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

llwatson wrote:
propellerhead wrote:I just haven't found a strong enough reason why I need one. But I'm still looking...
Do you have a smoke detector in your home? You do? Why? Have you ever needed it?
You don't need a license to use a smoke detector. You don't need training to use a smoke detector. You don't have to be a responsible level headed and calm person to use a smoke detector. You don't need a good understanding of the laws to use a smoke detector. Put batteries in whenever it beeps once a minute and forget about it. I hope no one here is that casual with concealed carry weapons. There's a lot of responsibility needed for a CCW. There's near zero for a smoke detector. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be difficult here. I'm not gonna view a CCW like a smoke detector.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Diode wrote:
propellerhead wrote:I know a lot of you carry a weapon "because you'll never know when you'll need it".

But I tell you what, I'll will not be one of the those poor souls like in England
standing around wondering where the hell their rights went. If for no other reason, I will have a CHL and I will Vote because I have that right and I want my sons to have that right. If being able to carry a weapon is not your cup of tea Propellerhead that's cool, there is nothing wrong with that!!
I'm planning to take the class primarily to learn about the laws. I might even turn the paperwork in for the license. I know it's my right and will probably exercise that right at some point. But at this time, I'm still don't feel strongly about the need to carry.

Diode

Post by Diode »

propellerhead wrote:
Diode wrote:

I'm planning to take the class primarily to learn about the laws. I might even turn the paperwork in for the license. I know it's my right and will probably exercise that right at some point. But at this time, I'm still don't feel strongly about the need to carry.
I did learn alot from the class and in here. I also find shooting at the range relaxing.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Diode wrote:I did learn alot from the class and in here. I also find shooting at the range relaxing.
Same here. I have learned more on here than other gun forums. I'm glad there's a Texas-specific gun forum.

I think I'll go shoot after work today. :)

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

propellerhead wrote: You don't need a license to use a smoke detector. You don't need training to use a smoke detector. You don't have to be a responsible level headed and calm person to use a smoke detector. You don't need a good understanding of the laws to use a smoke detector. Put batteries in whenever it beeps once a minute and forget about it. I hope no one here is that casual with concealed carry weapons. There's a lot of responsibility needed for a CCW. There's near zero for a smoke detector. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be difficult here. I'm not gonna view a CCW like a smoke detector.
OK, it's your choice, and I respect it. If you don't feel you are up to the responsibility, then you certainly should not carry. I sincerely hope that you never, never have to experience that life defining moment when you wish that you had. Good luck to you!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

propellerhead wrote:I have a good job that lets me live in the good side of town.
The good side of town, where the money and "stuff" is is where the BG are going these days. Can you say "Home Invasion"? Of course you do not need CHL for your home. I assume you visit other peoples homes in the "good side of town".

I work at a military installation that has fences and armed guards.
Ever hear of the Luby's massacre in Killeen? Good side of town. Near a military installation. Good people died.
My side of town has just about everything I need
Do you buy all of your gas and vittles in the "good side of town"?
I have not gone to the bad side of town in years and have no reason to go there at all.
I guess League City hasn't installed the good side/bad side boundary markers so the bad guys will stay on their side and I will not go to their side. I hope none of the places I frequent are in the bad side.

I have read several times on posts the comment "Carry 24/7 or guess right" or something to that effect.

Won the lottery lately? If your chances of winning the lottery are higher than being struck by lightning, why are you taking chances by guessing when you will need your weapon??????

Is your family worth a good guess????
In short, I have all the resources to get a CHL. But I have all the reasons why I don't believe I need one. I just haven't found a strong enough reason why I need one. But I'm still looking...
Sorry, propellerhead. I really do not understand your reasoning, 'cause what you are saying defies logic, at least to me. My opinion, all that. You are certainly free to do what you want. Are you ready to accept the consequences of your decisions?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I had a feeling my post would get a lot of responses. Each response has very valid points and I appreciate hearing those reasons. No one can argue against readiness. :)

To me, it all boils down to what state of readiness each person feels they need to be in based on their own personal experiences and surroundings. Some people are fine with just being alert and aware. Some will be alert and avoid areas known for trouble. Some may choose to learn a martial art. Some will choose to keep a handgun on them. Some do it part time. Some do it full time. Some will carry one gun. Some will carry more. Some will do that and wear body armor. Some will hire a body guard to cover their back. Some will convert their personal vehicle into an armored car. Some will live inside a fortress with rocket launchers and never leave home. It's all a personal choice based on personal experiences. Unlike probably 99% of the readers of this forum, I just haven't raised my level of readiness to carrying a handgun. I don't have strong reasons not to but I just haven't found strong reasons to either.

And that's why I checked "Other" in the poll.

And that is why I'm here... to learn more about CHLs and to see if I want to be at that level of readiness.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”