September Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

TxDrifter
Posts in topic: 21

Re: September Applications

Post by TxDrifter »

Nope. Haven't lived there since I was 11 years old. :D

Morgan wrote:Did any of your previous residences exist in Harris or Brazoria county?
Last edited by TxDrifter on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

The person working on those checks could have gone down to help out and I do know the officer's here were busy dealing with large numbers of people coming up for fuel and supplies. Once again though, a letter to those other counties would have been useful. My employment is from a home office, at the time with a company based in California, now with one in Illinois. I just thought it would be useful to post the information on here for others to know it would be a problem.

Ooops, Correction. My company had an address in Houston and I put it down as the address for my employment. I drive down there about twice a year. Otherwise, I live going through the airport every week. LOL. The new company doesn't have an office there. Good thing I made copies of my app. Still think it is amusing that they have time to send letters but not do a background check.

Keith B wrote:
TxDrifter wrote: I did not realize that Grimes County was affected by this as well, or has this now become their "canned" response to everyone?
If you only listed Grimes county as your last 5 years of residence or employment, I wouldn't think it should affect it. However, just remember if you have other counties listed that might have been impacted or that the person doing the background checks is in, then it is possible. I know one guy that had listed eight different counties on his app. This was before the backlog, but it still took him right at 60 days to get his license issued.

Or another possibility is that the person who does the background checks from your county was sent to the affected area to work during that time. There was another post that the DPS officer in Harris county was out for 5 or 6 weeks doing other duties during the hurricane.

NOTE: Morgan kinda beat me to it with a one liner! LOL
Last edited by TxDrifter on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member

SkinnyB78
Posts in topic: 12

Post by SkinnyB78 »

Update (only cause I'm losing hope)

9/6 class completed
9/8 packet mailed
9/11 return receipt received
9/13 Hurricane Ike hits
9/29 packet not yet entered into system
11/13 "processing app"
11/13 Call DPS - Awaiting Background Check (Harris County blah blah blah)
11/20 "Processing app"
(check almost everyday always "processing app")
12/7 "Processing app"
12/7 Sent letter to Gov Perry's office

We'll see if there's any response.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member, IDPA member, Motorcyclist, Cyclist, Photographer

SkinnyB78

Post by SkinnyB78 »

12/8 received email response from Governor's office stating they asked Director of DPS to look in to the matter and report back to the Governor's office. I believe this is the same response a lot of you have gotten.

*fingers crossed*

CainA
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CainA »

Yep, the canned email/letter. I think it's a "teaser", to make you think by contacting them, something may come of it, like a license for instance.

-Cain

SkinnyB78

Post by SkinnyB78 »

One thing I did mention in my letter to the Governor's office, I said that I've been following the process/wait with other folks on this forum and that it seemed there's become a repetitive pattern. I think it's great that there's a forum for this type of thing. I wish the state officials would log on here and help provide real answers to real problems. Or ask for our help/support in finding a viable solution.

CainA

Post by CainA »

I just called today to check on mine and the gal on the other end of the phone said that it's been issued(or whatever the verbage is) and to expect it around Christmas, around Christmas? She said that they allow themselves a 15-day window to get the license to the applicant(whatevers). Anywho, it doesn't say it's been issued according to the website, so, I don't know when they update that part. I'm in Harris county, I had an arrest in Montgomery county(sent in the disposition with my paperwork-charges were dimissed if anyone cares). I took the class on August 27th, sent packet to Austin on 28th, they recieved it on Sept. 2nd or 3rd(benefit of the doubt 3rd) today is day 98. I did the governor thing and the rep. thing(email only-no calls), whether that made a difference I don't know, but I doubt it.

-Cain

Locksmith
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Locksmith »

. .
Last edited by Locksmith on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdubyoo
Posts in topic: 13

Post by pdubyoo »

CainA wrote:I just called today to check on mine and the gal on the other end of the phone said that it's been issued(or whatever the verbage is) and to expect it around Christmas, around Christmas? She said that they allow themselves a 15-day window to get the license to the applicant(whatevers). Anywho, it doesn't say it's been issued according to the website, so, I don't know when they update that part. I'm in Harris county, I had an arrest in Montgomery county(sent in the disposition with my paperwork-charges were dimissed if anyone cares). I took the class on August 27th, sent packet to Austin on 28th, they recieved it on Sept. 2nd or 3rd(benefit of the doubt 3rd) today is day 98. I did the governor thing and the rep. thing(email only-no calls), whether that made a difference I don't know, but I doubt it.

-Cain
Congrats CainA!

I got my plastic today!!!!! :woohoo :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :thewave
I'll have to plan my Wally Walk now.

I'm officially checking out, but will be frequenting the waiting room. For all of you pre-Ike Harris County (and other gulf coast county) applicants, I hope Santa brings your plastic before Christmas.

-pdubyoo
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

CainA

Post by CainA »

Thanks man, I'll fill in the blanks in the thread that Chas. has going; the timeline thing.

Edit: I meant to add that it looks as though the website updates overnight, as I mentioned earlier that even though the lady on the phone said my license was issued, the website still said "processing" until this morning, now it says "issued...".

-Cain

CainA

Post by CainA »

8/27-Class
8/28-Mailed App
9/3-Rec'd @ DPS
9/?-Processing App
10/?-"Ike" letter
12/10-Application Completed
12/11-Plastic in Hand!!!-UPS Next Day-Doorstep

100-days

-Cain

SkinnyB78

Post by SkinnyB78 »

CainA wrote:8/27-Class
8/28-Mailed App
9/3-Rec'd @ DPS
9/?-Processing App
10/?-"Ike" letter
12/10-Application Completed
12/11-Plastic in Hand!!!-UPS Next Day-Doorstep

100-days

-Cain
Congrats! And thanks for all your inputs here. It's been fun watching your progress.

Rockjockey
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rockjockey »

Nice to see I'm not the only one waiting. Sent mine 09-22-08 was told it was issued on 11-04-08 but to the wrong address. Now they say it was re issued on 12-04-08 and it should be here in 10 to 12 days, still no liscense here.

SkinnyB78

Post by SkinnyB78 »

9/6 class completed
9/8 packet mailed
9/11 return receipt received
9/13 Hurricane Ike hits
9/29 packet not yet entered into system
11/13 "processing app"
11/13 Call DPS - Awaiting Background Check (Harris County blah blah blah)
11/20 "Processing app"
(check almost everyday always "processing app")
12/7 "Processing app"
12/7 Sent letter to Gov Perry's office
12/8 Sent letter to Chair Law Enforcement
12/9 Call from Chair's assistant
12/24 "Processing app"

:-( No merry CHL-mas for me

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

So 90 days from the Oct 1 date of "Processing Application" and I decided to call and see if I can find out anything further. The lady that answered was very polite and helpful for what she was allowed to say. She said they are waiting on "Gulf Coast" counties' background check but could not tell me which ones when I asked. I am assuming Harris and possibly Montgomery. I don't suspect Grimes as we were not hit as hard and if the efficiency of the DMV here in Anderson is an example then I can assume the other agencies might be as good. Of course you never know when you assume. LOL.

I will go ahead and write my representatives. I realize with Ike they may have had some problems, but this is bordering on ridiculous. What is worse is that much of it seems to be centering on a handful of counties. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact one of the local news consumer advocacy groups.

..... the wait continues....
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”