How much extra ammunition do you carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Suckhow
Posts in topic: 1

How much extra ammunition do you carry

Post by Suckhow »

As I expect to receive my CHL in the mail today, I have begun to ponder some of the finer points in carrying.

I'll be carrying my Kimber Ultra CDP II in a Galco IWB Holster in Condition One. Will Also kee a Sig P239 .40 in the glovebox of the Mercedes and a Kimber Pro Carry II in the glovebox of the Acura.

One thing I haven't thought about is extra ammunition. Do you guys carry extra magazines? My first thought is that I won't be carrying anything more than what is in the gun. I figure, if I can't resolve an issue with the 7 rounds of Corbon, then I'm screwed anyway.

Any thoughts?

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I have been carrying one extra magazine for my Kimber Ultra Carry in the weak side front pocket.

Congrats on finally getting the CHL.

Braden

Post by Braden »

I normally do not carry an extra magazine on my person. My Glock holds 15+1 rounds of .40 S&W. That SHOULD be enough to do the job. Most self defense shootings are over after 2-3 shots are fired (at least that's what I read somewhere).

That said, I struggle with this. What happens if things go really bad and for some reason my magazine isn't feeding properly? If I'm in the middle of a gun fight I can't exactly stop to inspect the magazine. The ole' "tap & rack" might fix the problem...but then again it might not. It would be really nice to have a spare mag ready to roll in that case. Honestly, I think the chances of that happening are MUCH greater than the chances of me ever needing 31 rounds of ammo. So....if I ever do decide to start carrying a spare mag it will be more for the idea of having a spare mag than it will be having extra ammo.

If you actually WEAR your gun like I do, having a couple of loaded mags...or maybe one loaded mag and a flashlight....on the side opposite your gun kind of helps to counter the weight of your gun....making it easier on your back (if you have a heavy gun).
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

That was my first thought when I began carrying. Then I began to see stories in the news of multiple attackers, 2 and 3 people. I figured it made sense to carry a spare mag, so I currently carry 20 rounds at all times. I also carry in the weakside pocket.

Tip: My magazine used to fall down sideways in the pocket and flop around which bugged me (I'm anal like that). I turn all of my pants inside-out and put a couple of safety pins through the pockets. This creates a pocket within the pocket for the mag and keeps it upright instead of flopping around. Also I never put anything in this pocket other than the mag.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

What is the weak link in any auto-loading pistol? I tend to think that is the magazine and I really don't like Mr. Murphy in tense situations.

Right now all I am carrying is a revolver, but I have 2 reloads for that - 15 rounds total. I am getting my P89 ready to carry (holster and the like) and will carry 1 spare mag for that - total 30 rounds, but will probably drop the reloads for the revolver (BUG) at that point. So I will have 30 rounds of 9mm and 5 rounds of .38Spc at that point.

I don't feel under gunned right now, but I won't feel over gunned after the change.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HighVelocity »

Regardless of what pistol I'm carrying on a given day, I always carry a spare magazine. Not so much for the ammo but if you've ever had a magazine malfunction in a pinch you'd wish you had another. You cannot FIX it, you drop it and grab another as fast as you can.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I carry 1911's and usually one extra mag. on the belt. Occasionally I wear a double mag carrier, but not often. For me, the primary reason for the extra mag. is for a backup in case of a mag failure, as Braden said, but the extra ammo is also nice.

However, as Clint Smith points out, "the fight will last until you win, loose, or run out of ammo. How much is enough, who knows?" I often hear people say something to the effect that, "if I can't stop 'um with 5 rounds of 38 Special, then I shouldn't carry a gun" to justify carrying a 5 rd. 38 snub with no extra ammo. We can all get 5 rds into a stationary target with a 2" snub, but try that while you are moving and your target is scrambling to avoid your muzzle flash. I have a drill I use in the NRA Personal Protection classes I teach. After the range portion of the class is almost over, I have everyone shoot on the move. Most are surprised at the reduction in their hit percentage. I then have them do that same drill, but with a swinger (swinging target). It's not unusual to see 0 to 2 hits from a full mag. It's a real eye-opener! It's also a great incentive for students to practice on moving targets. With practice, such shots are not difficult, but I suspect that most folks who carry an S&W Mod. 60 in their pants with no extra ammo probably don’t spend much time on the range shooting moving targets.

How much ammo is enough, unfortunately we will never know the answer to that one, until the fight is over. Ask the FBI about the 1986 Miami shootout!

Regards,
Chas.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

When I am carrying one of my 1911s, I have two spare 8 round mags on my belt.

When I am carrying my XD9, I have two spare 17 round mags on my belt.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Hey Jim, where'd you get 17 round XD mags? Mine only hold 15. :?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I preffer to carry 2 spare mags in my paddle mag carrier when I can conceal them.

One idea encounters on the street have re-enforced for me is that what you have with you is better than what you left at home.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

They were part of that special deal from Springfield a while back. If you bought an XD9 during a certain time frame they would send you a certificate to purchase up to five 17 round mags (for another gun which just happened to fit the XD9.)

Gives me 52 rounds when I carry the XD9, but after the way my wife shot it during our CHL requal, I may have lost it to her.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The only gun I don't carry two spare mags for is my P3AT. I do have one reload for it. As stated above, the magazine is the weak link in any auto loading firearm. So, I carry two spares - - - in case Mr. Murphy is really busy that day. :wink:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

sensei

Post by sensei »

Sometimes I carry one spare mag on me. Usually not. But if I can just fight my way to my truck I have 100rds plus three loaded mags. ready. Plus a 12 ga. behind the seat.

sensei

Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave »

I even carry an extra mag for my keltec .32. When I carry a real gun (usually a Glock 27), I have a reload for it, the keltc, and a reload for the keltec. As others have said, it is not so much for the extra ammo, but for the extra mag in case if a malfuntion. Let's all remember that no matter what gun you have or carry, sometimes they don't shoot.
Dr Dave

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Unless hunting, spare mags are typicall only carried readily accessible in vehicle. I'm far more inclined to carry a second gun than a spare mag. I do, however, always seem to have a Bianchi speed strip full of .38+Ps or .357s in my pocket whether the 340 is on me or not. :roll:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”