October Application

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

txfour
Posts in topic: 3

Re: October Application

Post by txfour »

ETexPops wrote:How long does it take after you get a PIN? Don't remember anyone saying but then I don't remember much anyway. DPS got my packet on 10/24 and got a reply to an e-mail with the PIN today. Got home and there was the letter from DPS with the same info. How long now? If it's back down to 60 days there is hope that I will need to give myself another concealable pistola for Christmas.
Me an my mother-in-law took the class 9/20/08 and never even received a PIN letter. We both received our licenses 11/17/08.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

txfour wrote: Me an my mother-in-law took the class 9/20/08 and never even received a PIN letter. We both received our licenses 11/17/08.
Now THAT is a scary thinking about my Mother-In-Law with a gun. However, she probably wouldn't have a place to carry it on her broom. "rlol"

Seriously, welcome to the forum txfour. Glad you and your MIL are preparing to be able to defend yourself. I have not been successful in getting my MIL to take a firearms class yet, but did get her to carry pepper spray at least. :thumbs2:

Hope you guys have a short wait on your licenses!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txfour

Post by txfour »

Keith B wrote:
txfour wrote: Me an my mother-in-law took the class 9/20/08 and never even received a PIN letter. We both received our licenses 11/17/08.
Now THAT is a scary thinking about my Mother-In-Law with a gun. However, she probably wouldn't have a place to carry it on her broom. "rlol"

Seriously, welcome to the forum txfour. Glad you and your MIL are preparing to be able to defend yourself. I have not been successful in getting my MIL to take a firearms class yet, but did get her to carry pepper spray at least. :thumbs2:

Hope you guys have a short wait on your licenses!
Thanks for the welcome Keith. We actually both received our licenses yesterday :woohoo .

She has wanted to take the class for a while, but being a woman, felt too intimidated to do it alone so I took it with her. Funny thing is, she is an excellent shot and was worried about the shooting portion of the test while being under pressure. She had high score of the class scoring 249 out of a possible 250.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Congrats to both of you txfour. Enjoy your new licensed privilege to learn about concealed carry!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

badlnb
Posts in topic: 12

Post by badlnb »

I finally got a letter from TDPS with my PIN number Yesterday Nov. 17, though I emailed TDPS last week and got it. The slow wheels of progress are turning now.
10/24/08 Application Received
11/14/08 Processing Application
1/21/09 (90 days) Called TDPS "Waiting on Harris county B/G Check. Emailed my State Reps.
1/25/09 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
1/29/09 PLASTIC IN HAND
Total time = 98 days.

sbb

Post by sbb »

iredwing wrote:OK, I have put my flame suit on because I know I am an ID.10.T for waiting so long. So here it is. I took the class back in Spring 2007. I mailed my packet to Austin and it was received October 17. Got my PIN today, November 17. Signed in to the DPS website to check status and it says "No application or license/certificate active." Not sure how to take that since they have sent me my PIN number.

Any suggestions? Other than why the heck did I wait so long to mail it in. :)

Thanks,
John - IRedWing

10/15/08 Mailed Certified Application to DPS
10/17/08 DPS Signed For Application
11/17/08 PIN Recieved by mail
11/17/08 Status of "No application or license/certificate active"
John, you must have checked under the instructor portion of the website. That is an easy mistake to make. Go back to the website and be certain that you check the status using the correct option. You will be pleasantly suprised.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

gaspar

Post by gaspar »

Hi everyone! Just wanted to take a seat in the October waiting room. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm getting close...

Took CHL class - 06/14/08 (didn't have money at the time to send in my app)
Paperwork received by DPS - 10/02/08 (drove it down to the Austin office and hand delivered it...they checked it all and gave me the OK!)
PIN Reveived by email - 10/15/08 (didn't realize at the time that they'd mail it to me)
PIN Reveived by mail - 10/19/08
Application still processing - 11/18/08

Waiting...
Took CHL class - 06/14/08
Paperwork received by DPS - 10/02/08
PIN Reveived by email - 10/15/08
PIN Reveived by mail - 10/19/08
Application (still) processing - 11/18/08
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - 11/24/08
Plastic Received! - 11/26/08

iredwing
Posts in topic: 4

Post by iredwing »

sbb, thanks, that was it. I was looking in the wrong place.

John

11/17/08 Status of "Processing Application"
John
11/17/08 Status of "Processing Application"
01/23/09 License is in the mail according to DPS

sbb

Post by sbb »

No problem John. I and several others on the forum made the same error. :oops:
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

Hos
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Oct. 2008 Applications

Post by Hos »

Got PIN today in the mail and with that, the ever popular "Processing Application" response. So, it took just over 3 weeks. I'll take it.
Hos wrote: Took CHL Class: Oct. 19th
Took local PD time to pull up copy of a 2003 arrest to add to my DPS file (I was not charged and released same day)
Used cashier's check instead of a personal check
Mailed Completed Application to DPS: Oct. 27nd
Application packet signed for by DPS: Oct. 28th
God, Goats, and Guns

ou20081
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ou20081 »

Looks like I will be leaving soon. It has taken 38 days from the time DPS rec'd the packet until this morning when I checked the site. Should have in hand this week, I hope.

Oct 11, 2008 Took the class
Oct 14, 2008 Mailed the packet
Oct 17, 2008 DPS rec'd certified packed
Nov 3, 2008 DPS sent PIN
Nov 24,2008 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
Now waiting for snail mail

pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

ou20081 wrote:Looks like I will be leaving soon. It has taken 38 days from the time DPS rec'd the packet until this morning when I checked the site. Should have in hand this week, I hope.

Oct 11, 2008 Took the class
Oct 14, 2008 Mailed the packet
Oct 17, 2008 DPS rec'd certified packed
Nov 3, 2008 DPS sent PIN
Nov 24,2008 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
Now waiting for snail mail
WOW...ou20081, who did you bribe, and how do I get ahold of them? That's phenominal. I would go buy a lotto ticket if I were you!! I'm down here in the hillbilly bayou (Houston-Harris County), and they have this unprecedented delay for background checks that they are blaming on Ike. It's absolutely astonishing that they are able to process applications from other areas of the state in such quick turn-arounds, but then DPS allows Harris County to be such an absolute embarrasment. I've started calling Harris County "Molasses County", as in they move slower than... :banghead:

I've written my rep and the Gov, and all I get from them is passifying lip service. I'm so freakin jealous!!! :totap:

CONGRATS! :clapping:
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

ou20081
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ou20081 »

I guess Denton County did their thingrather quickly. The one thing that concerns me is our snail mail postal serverice is not that reliable up this way. I was very surprised, when my sons and I took the class in early Oct, the instructor was telling us they were taking about 10 weeks to get back the plastic. Maybe DPS is getting over the hump.

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jiannichan »

That is good news. I am also in Denton County. I hope mine goes as quickly as yours. I sent mine in about 3 weeks after you did.
-jchan

Morgan
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Morgan »

Let me add a November application to the "Gooooooo DENTON!" cheer. LOL :hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :thewave

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”