Alternatives to Time Warner?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Alternatives to Time Warner?

Post by pbwalker »

I've come to have a great disdain for Time Warner and the "Customer Support". To be frank, they are horrible. So I am looking to get away from them. They are constantly removing channels and adding them to "Premium Services". Today, they moved the BabyFirst network (a channel with lots of colors and shapes for babies to watch to help with development). Anyways, I want out.

Here are my specs, if you will. I've got 7 TV's in the house (Kitchen, Garage, Bedrooms, etc.). One of the nice things about cable TV is the fact that each TV does not need a receiver. Can anyone recommend any service like this? I was thinking Grande, but they are not available in my neighborhood.

Thanks folks!!

:tiphat:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alternatives to Time Warner?

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Just a suggestion: get rid of the TVs altogether. We did that about 5 years ago and have been so much happier ever since. We still occasionally watch a video through our DVD player. We also save a ton of money by not paying a monthly bill for cable or satellite.

Not watching the nightly news/CNN/etc has made our conversations much more pleasant, too. We get all the news we need from "the internets".
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

We had Time Warner and thought it couldn't get any worse. Then came Comcast.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

check out Verizon FiOS. I like it quite a bit, and have had great experiences with their customer service.
even had a nice long chat about guns with my installer about a year ago. guy getting his CHL and what not, told'em about the website and what not. was fun...

anyway, They just added this new thing that's going to save me a boat load of cash, and they told me about it, instead of just letting me pay more for what I didn't need! seemed mighty kind of'em.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

DoubleJ wrote:check out Verizon FiOS. I like it quite a bit, and have had great experiences with their customer service.
even had a nice long chat about guns with my installer about a year ago. guy getting his CHL and what not, told'em about the website and what not. was fun...

anyway, They just added this new thing that's going to save me a boat load of cash, and they told me about it, instead of just letting me pay more for what I didn't need! seemed mighty kind of'em.
I *wish* I could get FiOS! I've been hoping for quite some time now. Alas, no such luck.

I think I am going to try to convince the wife to condense down to two TV's and go with Satellite.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Russell Bear

Post by Russell Bear »

Liberty wrote:We had Time Warner and thought it couldn't get any worse. Then came Comcast.
:iagree:
Springfield XD40 Subcompact
10/03/08 CHL class by Karen Rabe
10/07/08 Mailed Certified Application to DPS
10/11/08 Recieved Confirmation in Mail
10/15/08 DPS Posted Personal Check
11/06/08 PIN Recieved by e-mail
***Waiting****
02/14/2009 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

russ

Post by russ »

I had TWC and just changed to ATT uverse, I do like it better than TWC because the channel line up is one of the best
i have seen for the money and it comes with internet and i think 4 speeds to chose from. It is IPTV so bandwidth is an issue, here in DFW they only have 4 streams and only 2 can be HD so it you have a lot of TVs or more than one HDTV this can be a problem. For example lets say you are recording a program in HD and watching one in HD, someone wants to watch another HD program or even record another you cant. If you dont need HD then you are in good shape you have 4 streams for recording and watching. A DVR comes with most packages but you can only have 1 you cant even pay extra for another. The cool thing is all non DVR boxes can access and play the recordings on the DVR. All in all i like it better than anything i have had which was Comcrap and TWC but I have never had any satellite like directTV or DISH. Of course its not avalible everwhere but you can check https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.d ... 5AC08E7D58 to see if you can get it.
Last edited by russ on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I have DISH Network, and have no problems with it. I am switching to AT&T U-Verse just to further bundle (and contractually entangle) my bills.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “Off-Topic”