Carrying at work when not allowed..

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Kyle Brown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kyle Brown »

txinvestigator wrote:
If the code does not specify a definition, then the common or dictionary defintion is used.

As to your second question, 30.06 refers to the defintion of license holder as in 46.035. It does not refer to the 46.035 definition of premises; therefore, it does not use that definition.
Actually, by and through the definition of premises provided in 46.035, the "code" has provided a definition that is applicable elsewhere within the "code." Furthermore, that defintition provided shall be used before any "common or dictionary" defintion.

This instruction is found in:

Government Code § 311.011.

COMMON AND TECHNICAL USAGE OF WORDS.

(a) Words and phrases shall be read in context and construed according
to the rules of grammar and common usage.

(b) Words and phrases that have acquired a technical or
particular meaning, whether by legislative definition or
otherwise, shall be construed accordingly.

"Premises" has acquired a partcular meaning by legislative definition or otherwise. Now, I don't believe that the definition provided in 46.035 would be undeniably applied throughout all coded statutes. However, I do believe that the defintion provided in 46.035 is applicable in GC 411.203, PC 30.06, and possibly elsewhere within selected statutes or that body of law commonly known as the "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws."
Texas CHL Instructor
Paralegal Division-State Bar Of Texas
NREMT

WaltherP99
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WaltherP99 »

Do to the amount of violence and also due to this being a pharmacy makes me wonder why they would not allow you too carry. If the worst case they fire you then so be it. But that over shadows the risk of being defenseless and then the company assumes the risk of protecting you.

So you could approach the management and request a security guard at the location as the place of biz is assuming responsibility for your life if something was to happen. Or at least I would approach it like that. Either I’m able to carry or your are able to protect my life incase of a robbery.

Or the other option is to get a new job somewhere else that the crime is not as bad and or allow you to carry while doing your normal activities. At will work state for works for both the Employee and employer.

I work for a CO that does not allow Firearms but if I get shot or injured during my job hours I can guarantee you that I will go after the CO for not allowing me to protect myself.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”