Public Restroom Question

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Nighthawk
Posts in topic: 3

Public Restroom Question

Post by Nighthawk »

Howdy folks ~ I just got my plastic yesterday and was reading the Wall World trip routine and it brought up a good question that I had, what to do in a public restroom. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 in a belt holster similar to the JAK holster at about 4 o'clock. The three inch barrel doesn't stick down out of the holster much and it quite comfortable. If I am in a restroom stall and lower my drawers the weapon will stay with the belt and will be in view to someone in the stall next to me. I'm sure others have similar situations and was hoping to tap into this wealth of experience and knowledge to come up with a plan on what I will do in these situations. Any feedback is appreciated.
Browning BDM 9mm
SW99 9mm
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Class 8/16/08
Mailed 8/20/08
Received 8/22/08
PIN Received 9/8/08
Application Completed 10/30/08
Plastic Arrived 11/3/08

ProudNativeTexican
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Public Restroom Question

Post by ProudNativeTexican »

Don't drop your pants that lower, I red somewhere to rebuckle your belt around your knees. Or do like I do and remove the holster and pistol and place in on the tp holder. I have a holster with snaps on the belt loop so it is easy to remove.

Try to prepare and do your business before leaving home.
ML
"Act your wage" (Dave Ramsey)

CHL Class-2/16-17/08
Paperwork submitted-2/22/08
Application received by DPS-2/25/08
PIN received - 4/17/08
Processing application - 4/18/08
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - 5/7/8
Received Plastic - 5/10/08

CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

Well, i carry IWB at 3:00, and what I do, before i lower my pants, I turn them inside out so it's wrapped on the inside then i can lower them all the way and nobody can see it. I would think the same thing might work for you.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

There was a pretty good thread about this over a year ago you might want to read http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... f=7&t=9367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of info there. It really for me depends on how I am carrying. In the stall, I usually try to put it on the TP holder if the surface is flat. Otherwise, will keep the pants as high as possible and up where the pistol can't be seen and is away from the stall walls.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Thanks for the info ~ I will check out that other thread also ~ I know it's a wired question but like I said ~ it got me thinking.
Browning BDM 9mm
SW99 9mm
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Class 8/16/08
Mailed 8/20/08
Received 8/22/08
PIN Received 9/8/08
Plastic Arrived 11/3/08

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

It's never a good idea to remove the firearm from your person. There have been too many instances of firearms left behind in restrooms.

I really not sure if my method only works for me because I'm large, but when lowering my pants, I rotate them 90 deg to the left so that the gun folds down into my pants between my legs.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

I hang mine on the coat hook on the door. That way I cant leave it behind since I will see it when i open the door. I would forget it on the TP holder in a heartbeat. Lost several phones that way. I dont like leaving where it can be snatched or dropped on the floor, my IWB holsters are designed to hold it from going down my leg, not from being taken.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Nighthawk wrote:Howdy folks ~ I just got my plastic yesterday and was reading the Wall World trip routine and it brought up a good question that I had, what to do in a public restroom. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 in a belt holster similar to the JAK holster at about 4 o'clock. The three inch barrel doesn't stick down out of the holster much and it quite comfortable. If I am in a restroom stall and lower my drawers the weapon will stay with the belt and will be in view to someone in the stall next to me. I'm sure others have similar situations and was hoping to tap into this wealth of experience and knowledge to come up with a plan on what I will do in these situations. Any feedback is appreciated.
Rule #1: Don't place the gun on any surface where it can either fall to the floor or be left behind. (Yes, people actually do forget to take the gun from the top of the toilet tank or the paper dispenser). That means if the surface isn't attached to you, don't put your gun there.

Rule #2: Don't hang or place it anywhere out of your reach.

Rule #3: Don't hang or place it anywhere it could potentially be reached by others outside the stall (e.g., on the coat hook on the door or on the floor).

The best solution I've found is to keep your slacks and skivvies at knee level and to place the gun into the "pocket" formed by the crotch of your clothing between your legs. In that position it's in your reach, out of everyone else's, out of view for anyone who isn't looking over the top of the stall, it won't fall to the floor, and you won't forget it when you leave.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

WalMart restroom? Surely you jest? :evil2:
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

barres

Post by barres »

One thing I've heard suggested (I've not tried it, myself) is to place your CCW in the "hammock" of your underwear. It will be hidden from view by anyone not in the stall with you. And, you're not going to forget it there!
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Pocket carry or Imodium AD and wait for the home field advantage.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

flb_78 wrote:Pocket carry or Imodium AD and wait for the home field advantage.
For the win!

Topic author
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Thanks for all the replies ~ I don't think I'll try the public restrooms but if it's a must then I feel better prepared!!
Browning BDM 9mm
SW99 9mm
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Class 8/16/08
Mailed 8/20/08
Received 8/22/08
PIN Received 9/8/08
Plastic Arrived 11/3/08

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

I wrap the waistband of my underwear over the top of the gun. Of course it helps to wear boxers.

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

Safest thing is to be sure not to tap your feet, especially if you have a wide stance.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

Return to “New to CHL?”