Strangest Law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
zach
Posts in topic: 3

Strangest Law

Post by zach »

So I just got back from visiting Michigan. Most places were nice and so were the people. Detroit was an experience, one I'd recommend anyone to take during the daytime. Flying with guns these days is pretty easy to do.

While I was walking around town I inadvertently wandered onto a college campus in the middle of downtown without quite realizing it. It was cold, and I had my XD in an OWB holster and a light jacket. I didn't realize it but the bottom of the holster was quite visible, and very quickly a police officer stopped me and asked if I was carrying a gun concealed on a college campus. :oops: I told him I was visiting from Texas, didn't realize it was a campus, and showed him my CHL and DL. He then told me the strangest thing I've ever heard. "Son, here in Michigan, you can't carry concealed in Gun Free Zones. As long as you are on this campus you must carry openly." :shock:

what? :headscratch

So i pulled my clothes over my pistol, and OC for my first time, at the instructions of teh LEO.

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Strangest Law

Post by LedJedi »

ummm.... wow....

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Yeah, check out http://opencarry.org/mi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Really? Wow. That's kind of different.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Man, are you lucky. In many states, carrying on school grounds is illegal. In some cases, it's a felony.

- Jim

Furyataurus

Post by Furyataurus »

:totap: So............how did you like carrying openly?

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I'll be the last person to talk about concealed Vs. covert, but maaaaaaybe you should (and I mean this in a very friendly tone, here) consider your concealment attire and/or methods.

not harping, but if the cop hadn't outted you, the whole thing coulda been avoided.

other than that, :cheers2: to the officer being very professional and reasonable in his response.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

Must be nice to carry openly
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

sivart-dod

Post by sivart-dod »

I had no idea there was a law like that and the fact that the LEO didn't give you any hassle makes it a win win situation.

I am just a little jealous though :lol: .

Topic author
zach

Post by zach »

DoubleJ wrote:I'll be the last person to talk about concealed Vs. covert, but maaaaaaybe you should (and I mean this in a very friendly tone, here) consider your concealment attire and/or methods.

not harping, but if the cop hadn't outted you, the whole thing coulda been avoided.

other than that, :cheers2: to the officer being very professional and reasonable in his response.

Heh, yeah we don't win them all. I had only brought a super huge ski type coat, and it wasn't nearly that cold, so I borrowed a friends jacket for the day. Needless to say it wasn't quite long enough even though I did check beforehand. Generally, its not an issue.

And carrying openly was really awkward. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I prefer for no one to know I guess.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

zach wrote:...And carrying openly was really awkward. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I prefer for no one to know I guess.
As one who carries frequently in another state where open carry is legal (unless prohibited by local ordinances) I agree that better out of sight and out of mind of the general populace. No hassle and no weird looks from folks. The only place I open carry is on my Father-in-Law's farm property when I am working around the shop area, and no one can see it unless they come way into the property.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Wow. That was probably the best outcome possible that anyone could expect, given the circumstances.

That was an awfully considerate LEO you encountered there. :thumbs2:

I know I'd feel quite awkward having to OC without planning on it like that. Interesting story and thanks for sharing!
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

LCP_Dogg

Post by LCP_Dogg »

LOL!! :biggrinjester:

smokindragon

Post by smokindragon »

Get's me how each state has it's own laws, would be nice to get all states the same one day.

But that is awesome that you didn't get scolded....

:txflag: :txflag:
"WARNING: Driver only carries $20 Dollars worth of ammunition"

Springfield XD.40 subcompact
Remington 597 .22

NAA .22 Long Rifle Mini-Revolver w/holster grip

Clint- Fort Worth
Tx-CHL Holder

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

smokindragon wrote:Get's me how each state has it's own laws, would be nice to get all states the same one day.
Be careful what you wish for...
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”