July '08 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ambitman
Posts in topic: 27

Delay

Post by ambitman »

No, not yet. What part of the State do you live in? I am in Dallas. Are you in an area that was damaged by Ike?
July 18 DPS Received
October 22 DPS website status change Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

waterpump1
Posts in topic: 14

Re: July '08 Applications

Post by waterpump1 »

well i called DPS today to check status the first tech i got told me still processing. I asked why they told me last week all that was needed was to mail license. Her response was they were wrong. Called back 20 min. later and got Jessica she says it was approved on 9/24/08. And license was being printed she said it should not be much longer. I hope! :txflag:
IANAL
NRA-member
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/28/2008 completed chl app on
10/10/08 (plastic in hand) 84 days
"Especially for you Mr. Gore....From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

mrbill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mrbill »

I'm in Houston, but I'm annoyed that they've not gotten the background check stuff in by now, it's been almost 90 days.

clark_griswold
Posts in topic: 1

Post by clark_griswold »

I took my CHL class on May 17, 2008. DPS received my application May 21, 2008. I actually submitted my information (and paid my fees) online April 29. With a couple of status checks via phone calls, I found out that my information was not even put into their system until July 28. No one could tell me why it took over two months for them to just input my info. I've called twice since then for an update, and every time all I get is the canned speech about how they've had a huge increase in applications and are running 60 days behind. I'm now over 130 days in waiting and still nothing....just the "Processing Application" on the web site and the usual speech from DPS when I call them. A couple of days ago got an email about the new delays that are being caused by hurricane Ike. Today I got a letter in the mail stating the same thing. I don't know what to do next except wait some more. I'm feeling like with the latest news of delays, I could easily be looking at 180-190 days total.

poppo
Posts in topic: 11

Post by poppo »

clark_griswold wrote: I've called twice since then for an update, and every time all I get is the canned speech about how they've had a huge increase in applications and are running 60 days behind.
I think there would be a lot less 'anger' here if things were working in a FIFO manner. But some are getting their's in less than 60 days and some who have lived in one place all of their lives are waiting forever. It's almost like some of the processors are actually doing their job and others are spending the day surfing the Internet or something.

I've sent several e-mails asking specifically where in the background check the the hold up is (they originally said they were waiting on background checks) and I have not received a single reply since that original one.

70 days
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

csmartin732

Post by csmartin732 »

I too recieved a letter from DPS today statinf my app has been postponed until further notice while they deal with the aftermath of Ike. This is almost funny. I mailed my paperwork in at the end of July, got a Pin on Aug 13 and today a letter stated postponed due to IKE, what the hell have they been doing in Austin since July.

jee
Posts in topic: 30

Post by jee »

waterpump1 wrote:well i called DPS today to check status the first tech i got told me still processing. I asked why they told me last week all that was needed was to mail license. Her response was they were wrong. Called back 20 min. later and got Jessica she says it was approved on 9/24/08. And license was being printed she said it should not be much longer. I hope! :txflag:
I called DPS today, the third time this week, and talk to a fellow named Steve, who told me they were waiting on the license to come back from the print shop. He also said it takes about two weeks to finish the processing and them to the mail room. We shall see. :grumble :sleep
6/12/2008 online app completed
class taken 6/28/008
Mailed app. 6/29/2008
received pin next week
8/8/2008 emailed dps
8/8/2008 status changed to processing app.
10/7 waiting on UPS
10/8 9:45 AM UPS with PLASTIC in hand

poppo

Post by poppo »

I finally called DPS since they are not replying to my e-mails. The lady who answered transfered me to someone else. When that person finally picked up, I heard her jibber jabbering about some personal stuff to someone else for about a minute before she actually said hello. No wonder nothing is getting done. Of course I got the standard 'waiting on FBI' answer and to call back in 2 weeks. You would think with the billions we pumped into homeland security, it would take about 5 seconds to pull up a background check.

particle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by particle »

I received my plastic in the mail on Saturday. :)

I was hoping to buy a 1911 for daily carry, but can't really afford one. So, guess I'll be shopping for a holster for my XD 4" Service Model .40 S&W.
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

poppo

Post by poppo »

Woo hoo!! Application Completed - license issued or certificate active :anamatedbanana

76 days since DPS received package.

Now the next wait checking the mailbox every day.

Topic author
ambitman
Posts in topic: 27

Processing Processing

Post by ambitman »

Well I contacted the State's office today and they said that everyhing was fine they were waiting to get everything back to complete the file. So we are still processing. Just wanted to keep everybody informed. :tiphat:
July 18 DPS Received
October 22 DPS website status change Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

jee

Post by jee »

Received a letter today from Stanley Clark, Director of DPS, stateing that they had been contacted by Governor Rick Perry's office in regards to my application. Mr. Clark stated that my delay was due to my first set of printd being rejected by the FBI. The second set was received by them on Aug. 28, 2008. Mr. Clark said DPS would make every attemp to expedite further processing of my application.

My problem is, on the 17th of Sept 2008, I received an e-mail from Christopher Pierce that said my background checks were complete and my license was going to the print shop.

As of today Oct. 7, 2008, 20 days later, my status is still PROCESSING APPLICATION.

I cannot see how that is "expediting" anything. :headscratch :confused5

It is nice to know though, that the Governor's Office does take some action on our behalf.
class taken 6/28/008
Mailed app. 6/29/2008
received pin next week
8/8/2008 emailed dps
10/7 waiting on UPS

jee

Post by jee »

Just in

Dear Mr. Elliott:

Our records indicate that your license was mailed via UPS: Next Day Air and guaranteed delivery on October 8, 2008 at 10:30 A.M., tracking #1ZR347A50196900423. It is our hope that you will receive your license prior to noon tomorrow. If you have not received the license or if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me personally at 512/424-5721.

Sincerely,

Jan Coffey, Manager

Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau
:thewave :woohoo

The strange thing is that as of 4:00 AM this morning, Oct 8, my online status still shows PROCESSING APPLICATION. :confused5
class taken 6/28/008
Mailed app. 6/29/2008
received pin next week
8/8/2008 emailed dps
10/7 waiting on UPS

edjarman

Post by edjarman »

I am really not very concerned about the delay as I have another state CHL that is recognized in Texas.

Mailed application July 21
Application received July 23
Waiting October 8
October 20 - New license received - Old license expired this date
Last edited by edjarman on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waterpump1
Posts in topic: 14

Post by waterpump1 »

well I've emailed my state rep twice now with no response so last night I emailed the Governor got a canned response that they are asking DPS director to look in to the delay and conflicting responses. We shall see if there is any change. :txflag:
governors response.pdf
(22.42 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
IANAL
NRA-member
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/28/2008 completed chl app on
10/10/08 (plastic in hand) 84 days
"Especially for you Mr. Gore....From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”