July '08 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

texasccw
Posts in topic: 4

Re: July '08 Applications

Post by texasccw »

You can carry in your vehicle as long as it is concealed. If you are pulled over and you do have your weapon in the vehicle you can declare it. It IS NOT against the law to carry in your vehicle in Texas. It is part of the castle doctrine. Just make sure not to body carry unless it's from your place of work to your vehicle or your home to your vehicle. I have been carrying in my vehicle since I purchased my gun and I have been body carrying at my place of business since then also.
WWW.GUNBANOBAMA.COM

txflyer

Re: Way to go!

Post by txflyer »

ambitman wrote:I am happy to see that you are getting your plastic! When did you get your pin number?
IIRC, it was around 8/15 I got my pin in the mail.

waterpump1
Posts in topic: 14

Post by waterpump1 »

Called DPS they say mine is ready all they have to do is send it out. Now get this he said it should be there sometime in October that really narrows it down. Hey I could walk to Austin and pick it up. Oh well no use getting upset. :txflag:
IANAL
NRA-member
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/28/2008 completed chl app on
10/10/08 (plastic in hand) 84 days
"Especially for you Mr. Gore....From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 13

Post by kalipsocs »

Okay....day 77 in total and 32 days since new prints were sent and nothing has been told to me except that they are still processing my application. So what do you think? Should I hold off till 90 days before I start writing my rep? The will be Oct. 13th....not that I am counting or anything. Might make it worse since technically they have more time due to the "bad prints" of the first go around...I think they get an additional 90 or 120 from date of resubmission. All I know is this is getting frustrating at this point, but I know I am not the only one.

txflyer

Post by txflyer »

I think 90 days is fair - given the current load and process. I was getting perturbed when it was getting close, but they finished on the 89th day. If 90 had hit, I intended to write my representative. I had already started drafting the letter.

I hope in the next legislative session our lawmakers change this. I find it troublesome than a non-resident of Utah can get a license faster than a resident of the state of Texas.

HankB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by HankB »

waterpump1 wrote:Called DPS they say mine is ready all they have to do is send it out. Now get this he said it should be there sometime in October that really narrows it down. Hey I could walk to Austin and pick it up. Oh well no use getting upset. :txflag:
I dropped my RENEWAL off in person one week after DPS got your application . . . so I SHOULD be getting mine soon.

I think I'll wait until this Friday (October 3, 10 weeks) and give them a call if there's no change in status.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

jee
Posts in topic: 30

Post by jee »

I am totaly fedup with DPS. Two weeks ago they said my plastic was at the print shop.
Two days ago I spoke with a guy who said it was still processing.
Yesterday I spoke with Simone and she said it was in the print shop.

I don't think anyone has a clue of what is going on. :blowup :grumble
6/12/2008 online app completed
class taken 6/28/008
Mailed app. 6/29/2008
received pin next week
8/8/2008 emailed dps
8/8/2008 status changed to processing app.
10/7 waiting on UPS
10/8 9:45 AM UPS with PLASTIC in hand

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 »

Try calling the main number,(512) 424-2000, and let the receptionist know you would like to speak with a supervisor over the CHL dept. I had left 3 messages with the rep handling my application over a three week period and never recieved a return call UNTIL I spoke with a supervisor and voiced my concern over the delay. I got a call from my rep no more than 30min's later and she gave me here direct line.

Good luck,
Gregg

PS,
I'm at the 113 day mark and I'm still in 'processing application'. :cryin
Peace Officer

Topic author
ambitman
Posts in topic: 27

The Wait

Post by ambitman »

I have found it is best to not worry about it. The plastic will come in time and there in nothing we can do about it. The only thing that happens when we check the DPS website or call them is we get upset. By the way my IRS quarterly payment is due December 15. I am sure they would not mind if I don't follow the law and I am a few months late.

The process of contacting DPS is like beating a :deadhorse:
July 18 DPS Received
October 22 DPS website status change Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

jimmy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jimmy »

Guys, I'm leaving the Waiting Room.

On 09/25, 66 days after DPS received my CHL renewal materials, my status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active." Four days later (09/29) the license was mailed. A day after that (09/30) it arrived in my mailbox--just two weeks before my old license expired.

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel!

:cheers2:

HankB

Post by HankB »

jimmy wrote:Guys, I'm leaving the Waiting Room.

On 09/25, 66 days after DPS received my CHL renewal materials, my status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active." Four days later (09/29) the license was mailed. A day after that (09/30) it arrived in my mailbox--just two weeks before my old license expired.

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel!

:cheers2:
Good for you!

I'm on Day 68 after dropping off my renewal packet and still "Processing Application" . . . I called, and the nice lady at the CHL office told me everything looks OK except they haven't heard back from the FBI yet - i.e., the Feds are dragging their feet. Since my current CHL expires this month, she said she'd try to put a "push" on the FBI so I get it before my birthday.

Keeping my fingers crossed . . .
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

particle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by particle »

75 days so far - I log in almost daily to check the status, and today it says:

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

WOHOOO!!! Don't know how long it will actually take to receive my plastic...
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jee
Posts in topic: 30

Post by jee »

The background check is completed. We are on the final step of processing your application. Please allow a little longer.
Christopher Pierce
Texas Department of Public Safety

This is the e-mail I received on Sept. 17. When I asked exactly what that meant, this was his reply.

That message means we are on the last step of processing before the license is issued and mailed.
Christopher Pierce
Texas Department of Public Safety

That was two weeks ago.
I sure would like to know what that LAST STEP is. you can't get a straight answer from anyone . :crazy:
6/12/2008 online app completed
class taken 6/28/008
Mailed app. 6/29/2008
received pin next week
8/8/2008 emailed dps
8/8/2008 status changed to processing app.
10/7 waiting on UPS
10/8 9:45 AM UPS with PLASTIC in hand

waterpump1
Posts in topic: 14

Post by waterpump1 »

particle wrote:75 days so far - I log in almost daily to check the status, and today it says:

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

WOHOOO!!! Don't know how long it will actually take to receive my plastic...
They received mine the same day as you mine still says processing app. Hopefully not much longe :txflag:
IANAL
NRA-member
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/28/2008 completed chl app on
10/10/08 (plastic in hand) 84 days
"Especially for you Mr. Gore....From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

mrbill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mrbill »

Anybody else get a letter from DPS a day or two ago that states the application/processing process may be delayed indefinitely due to the effects of Hurricane Ike?

They mailed the letter the same day that I happened to email and call and was told that they were still waiting on the background check.

Packet Received by DPS: July 8th
PIN received: August 12th
Still Processing: October 2nd (Day 87)

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”