Pennsylvania License In 10 Days

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pennsylvania License In 10 Days

Post by Purplehood »

Wow, am I confused (no response needed on that...).

I was taught in my CHL class that we could not carry at schools. Did I fall asleep in the front-row and the instructor not notice? Or am I simply misreading the posts above?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Purplehood wrote:Wow, am I confused (no response needed on that...).

I was taught in my CHL class that we could not carry at schools. Did I fall asleep in the front-row and the instructor not notice? Or am I simply misreading the posts above?
If you have a Texas CHL, and are a resident of Texas, you may not carry in the buildings, but may carry on the grounds of a school as long as a school sponsored event is not happening on the grounds. If you have a a non-resident permit from another state, then you do NOT get the Gun Free School Zone exemption in your state.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Thanks for the clarification.

If I understand you correctly, when I pick up my kid on Friday afternoon at the front door of the school in my car, I can carry?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Purplehood wrote:Thanks for the clarification.

If I understand you correctly, when I pick up my kid on Friday afternoon at the front door of the school in my car, I can carry?
Yes, per the law, as a Texas resident with a Texas CHL, as long as you don't go inside the building. There are some schools (like Plano where I live) that have invalid 30.06 signs posted. They have the legal wording, and size. The schools can't legally enforce them (but it has yet to be tried and challenged), so will be interesting test case if anyone gets caught carrying. :???:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

brianko
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by brianko »

Date of application for non-resident PA license (Centre County Sheriff's Office): 9/5/08
Date of receipt of said license: 9/19/08

2 weeks and $26...not bad. Now I don't have to fret about the DPS delays, as I'll still be able to carry legally after my TX permit expires in less than a month (well, I'll have to avoid the gun-free zones).
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

crochetetc

Post by crochetetc »

ok so I am wondering...no chl yet in the works.. If I carry a gun in the car hidden but within reach. I cannot go through the car pool and pick up my child unless I have a chl. My husband says you cannot get within 1000 feet of the school with it in the vehicle.

Is that right?

crochetetc

Post by crochetetc »

Second question ... you can only get a PA license if your license here has been issued?

Thanks!

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

crochetetc wrote:ok so I am wondering...no chl yet in the works.. If I carry a gun in the car hidden but within reach. I cannot go through the car pool and pick up my child unless I have a chl. My husband says you cannot get within 1000 feet of the school with it in the vehicle.

Is that right?
18USC922q:
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
My understanding is that the prosecutor must prove that the possession of said gun was involved in "interstate or foreign commerce." (This was the result of a Supreme Court decision that knocked down the original gun-free zone law.)

I won't lose sleep over this, as there isn't a state line within an hour's drive of Dallas.
Member GOA (life), JPFO

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

crochetetc wrote:Second question ... you can only get a PA license if your license here has been issued?
That's correct.
Member GOA (life), JPFO

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

brianko wrote:
crochetetc wrote:ok so I am wondering...no chl yet in the works.. If I carry a gun in the car hidden but within reach. I cannot go through the car pool and pick up my child unless I have a chl. My husband says you cannot get within 1000 feet of the school with it in the vehicle.

Is that right?
18USC922q:
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
My understanding is that the prosecutor must prove that the possession of said gun was involved in "interstate or foreign commerce." (This was the result of a Supreme Court decision that knocked down the original gun-free zone law.)

I won't lose sleep over this, as there isn't a state line within an hour's drive of Dallas.
You shouldn't sleep so easily over the definition of "interstate commerce".

The obvious point is that if the gun, or any of its components, right down to the iron ore, ever moved across state lines, then the firearm "has moved in or ... affects interstate ... commerce".

What's more worrisome is the specific language:
"a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce"

Ever since Wickard v. Filburn (1942) ruled that corn grown on a farmer's own land, and used exclusively to feed his own livestock and family, "affected" interstate commerce, the federal government has had free rein to declare anything and everything "interstate".

Most recently this was affirmed in Gonzales v. Raich (2005), where SCOTUS declared that marijuana grown in one's own home "affects" interstate commerce because the grower-slash-dealer no longer has to buy from other states or countries.

It's bizarre.

TheRoss

Post by TheRoss »

I have an expired CHL and am in the waiting room for my new one. Think I could get a PA license sending them a copy of the expired Texas one? If the turnaround time is that quick maybe they are not checking things that closely? I noticed there is nothing to declare or sign so I would not be breaking the law by making false statements. Could be money wasted, but might get me a license a lot quicker. Just a thought......

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

TheRoss wrote:I have an expired CHL and am in the waiting room for my new one. Think I could get a PA license sending them a copy of the expired Texas one? If the turnaround time is that quick maybe they are not checking things that closely? I noticed there is nothing to declare or sign so I would not be breaking the law by making false statements. Could be money wasted, but might get me a license a lot quicker. Just a thought......
Section 40 of the PA application states "Do you posess a CURRENT license, permit...." and Section 41states that "I understand that if I knowingly make any false statements..." so you just publicly declared that you might be so inclined to make false statements in trying to obtain a PA license to carry firearms.

You might want to read the forms a little more closely. These things are not to be taken lightly.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TheRoss

Post by TheRoss »

Well that takes care of that idea!

I didn't look at the forms. I asked the question just going by the website linked in a post above. Thanks for the info. But no, I would not be inclined to make a false statement on anything.

Return to “Other States”