How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Timeframe on 25Apr06 for 23Mar06 DPS Packet Receipt

Post by Flatland2D »

Something doesn't add up.

Posted Tuesday, April 25th
Skipper5 wrote:"currently we are entering applications we received on 03/02/06, check back in a couple of weeks."

Above was response from DPS this morning via email.
Posted Tuesday, April 18th, one week prior.
HOSSISFREE wrote: The response on 4-18-06:

currently we are entering applications we received on 03/02/06, once your applications is entered in our system a pin # will be mailed to you.
Surely they must have made at least some progress in a week's worth of time! They must not communicate well with each other, are lying, or are even slower than everyone imagined. Sorry to all those still waiting. Looks like I got mine issued just in time.

barres
Posts in topic: 27

Post by barres »

I owe the DPS an apology. It was my fault that my app got kicked back as incomplete. Since I had everything else ready to go, when I got my TR-100 I overlooked the signature line on it. Dangit, I hate it when I do something stupid.:oops:

For those that had their app kicked back, how long did it take to get your license once you got the corrected app back to the DPS? The concensus is that the 60 days starts over, but did it really take that long for any of you?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

barres wrote:I owe the DPS an apology. It was my fault that my app got kicked back as incomplete. Since I had everything else ready to go, when I got my TR-100 I overlooked the signature line on it. Dangit, I hate it when I do something stupid.:oops:
It's been almost 4 years since I've seen a TR-100 (yeah, mine's coming up in November), so help me out. Does the CHL Applicant sign the TR-100 as well as the Instructor? If so, I'll add this to the checklist.

Thanks,
Chas.

wrt45
Posts in topic: 3

Post by wrt45 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
barres wrote:I owe the DPS an apology. It was my fault that my app got kicked back as incomplete. Since I had everything else ready to go, when I got my TR-100 I overlooked the signature line on it. Dangit, I hate it when I do something stupid.:oops:
It's been almost 4 years since I've seen a TR-100 (yeah, mine's coming up in November), so help me out. Does the CHL Applicant sign the TR-100 as well as the Instructor? If so, I'll add this to the checklist.

Thanks,
Chas.
Yes, and among my students this seems to be the most common error. I've taken to sticking those "post-It note arrows" that say sign here on everyones TR100 when I sign them as instructor.

RedRaider
Posts in topic: 18

Post by RedRaider »

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Website just showed this, whooooo hooooo, I'm at day 64. Guess I'll probably get in the mail on Monday. :lol:

Guess there's an open seat in the waiting room if anyone needs it.

skerbo
Posts in topic: 10

Post by skerbo »

RedRaider wrote:Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Website just showed this, whooooo hooooo, I'm at day 64. Guess I'll probably get in the mail on Monday. :lol:

So the Red Raider wins. Both of our applications were received on the same day. Bah, I wonder how much longer I'm going to have to wait.

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Skipper5 »

Congrats RedRaider....

FYI all...my online changed this morning from Packet Mailed to Applicant to "Processing Application". USPS return receipt Austin DPS date was 23Mar06. Three days ago they emailed back to me that they were just working the 02Mar06 stack...so looks like they caught up some!

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

skerbo wrote:

So the Red Raider wins. Both of our applications were received on the same day. Bah, I wonder how much longer I'm going to have to wait.
Skerbo,

I called them yesterday and talked to the guy processing mine, I was very polite and took the approach of "hey I just wanted to make sure you guys have everything you need, I think yall have had my app over 2 months, just wanted to make sure there was nothing missing." It worked, at the end of our conversation he said he would issue the license that day. Give it a try.

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Skipper5 »

RedRaider...what was the date DPS received your completed packet again?? Feb 23??

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

Skipper5 wrote:RedRaider...what was the date DPS received your completed packet again?? Feb 23??
Yep, it was Feb. 23rd.

skerbo
Posts in topic: 10

Post by skerbo »

Which phone number are you guys using? My buddy at work just called and he got a recording saying to write an email or snail-mail letter.

ETA: I've also lived in College Station, Midland, Austin, and Conroe within the last 5 years so I may be waiting for each of the local guys in those counties to get back to the Austin guys in order to finish my background check.

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

skerbo wrote:Which phone number are you guys using? My buddy at work just called and he got a recording saying to write an email or snail-mail letter.

ETA: I've also lived in College Station, Midland, Austin, and Conroe within the last 5 years so I may be waiting for each of the local guys in those counties to get back to the Austin guys in order to finish my background check.
I used the phone number on the webpage that shows your status. I called it and kept pressing "0" until I got someone on the phone. Let me know if you can't find the number and I'll look it up.

Yea, it may be slowed up since they have to verify your criminal background in multiple counties..........I've lived in Harris county the last 6 years.

AggieMM
Posts in topic: 15

Post by AggieMM »

Yup, the RedRaider wins, this Aggie is still waiting at day 76...... :sad:

Ryan

xHypex
Posts in topic: 5

Post by xHypex »

My packet was received on Feb 22nd, so I'm right in there with you guys. When I called yesterday they told me that they were still waiting on county information to come back :???:

I'm hoping to get my CHL before my roadtrip on May 12th; it'll be ironic if it comes in the Monday after I leave town.
-hype

Diode
Posts in topic: 54

Post by Diode »

RedRaider wrote:
skerbo wrote:

Skerbo,

I called them yesterday and talked to the guy processing mine, I was very polite and took the approach of "hey I just wanted to make sure you guys have everything you need, I think yall have had my app over 2 months, just wanted to make sure there was nothing missing." It worked, at the end of our conversation he said he would issue the license that day. Give it a try.
Hmmm, I contacted them after they ahd my App for 34 days and asked if all was going ok. I was entered in the system that day and was e-mailed my PIN. Are they working on the "squeeky wheel get the grease" system :) ?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”