CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
zach
Posts in topic: 2

Alcohol Permit Carry ??'s

Post by zach »

So first off-

I've enjoyed lurking the forum, and i suppose it's time for me to introduce myself. nice to meet y'all. :tiphat:

So a big reason why I applied (still waiting.....) for my CHL is because of where I work. I work at a winery, and much of the time, I am the only employee there. This wouldn't be a problem, but we are open to the public all the time, so people come and go as they please, and we have been burgled a few times now. The winery is miles and miles outside of town where there is no LEO presence, except for when the Sheriff rolls through to hunt in the vineyard. :fire (jealous) :fire
When I asked about what to do, the owner asked me if I was against carrying. Obviously I'm not- and he told me that since we have an alcohol beverage permit, as an employee I can carry at work even without a CHL.

I looked it up, and it seems to be true, but is obscure enough to not be known by LEO. What kind of risk would I be putting myself with the law for carrying at work pre-CHL? Hopefully this won't be an issue for much longer though, because I have been waiting for a VERY long time.

Anyway- I've enjoyed the forum thus far, and will continue to enjoy the quality posts.

Thanks,

Zach

MTICop
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alcohol Permit Carry ??'s

Post by MTICop »

Well I can't answer your question but welcome to the forum.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Welcome aboard from me too. S Rothstein will ahve an answer for you.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Carrying at work will not put you in much risk at all. Shooting someone at work is the bigger risk, with the question of justification. It is also about the only way the officers would ever know you are carrying.

You do not have to conceal it of course, but I am assuming you would.It might cause more problems with the customers if they knew you were carrying than it is worth.

I think most officers (and I am fairly sure most TABC agents since we cover it in their training) know employees of bars can carry.
Steve Rothstein

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Even if you didn't enjoy the TABC licensed premises exemption, there's little doubt that you control the premises when you're the only one there. You're free to carry without a CHL on premises that you control.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

zach wrote:I've enjoyed lurking the forum, and i suppose it's time for me to introduce myself. nice to meet y'all. :tiphat: Zach
Zach, welcome to the forum. Can you sent me the exact location and directions to your winery? :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

bryang

Post by bryang »

zach wrote: I've enjoyed lurking the forum, and i suppose it's time for me to introduce myself. nice to meet y'all. :tiphat:
Welcome, zach, it is goog to have you with us. Sounds like a pretty neat job. :thumbs2:

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Topic author
zach
Posts in topic: 2

Post by zach »

Hey-

Thanks for the help and all the positive responses!

and yeah, if any of y'all are going to be around the Lubbock area ever, send me a message for directions. We give free tours and tastings!

Hopefully I get that plastic one of these days. I look forward to becoming a full fledged member.

JoshL

Post by JoshL »

Zach,

I live in Lubbock. Are you at Caprock or Llano? That's awesome that the owner actually encouraged you to carry!

One of these days, my wife and I will have to come out there and sample your goods. Maybe we can even go out to the range sometime.

Stay safe and take care.

Carry Big Stick

Post by Carry Big Stick »

Welcome aboard Zach, this really is an awesome board full of some really knowledgeable folks. And yes you are covered to carry without a license. Its on TABC and on TX DPS website. I too work at a winery in Mansfield and was alone for most of the day. I researched the heck out of if I could carry or not without a license. Your good to go since the operations are under your control and the property is private property so you got that as well. Finally my wait was over and I got my plastic a few months ago. Best of luck to ya out there.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”