How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Diode
Posts in topic: 54

Post by Diode »

skerbo wrote:
Diode wrote:... someone had told me people with common names take longer to weed out compared to peeps with unusual names.
I'm screwed then, I have a very common first name and a moderately common last name. In Houston alone, there are 12 of me, I mean 12 with the same first and last name combination.
Well, for what it's worth that info came from our CHL instructor. It very well could be bunk :)

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

I can believe that. I used to live in Phoenix. I was pulled over, and gave the officer my information. After coming back to my car, his gun was drawn, and I was rather forcibly arrested.

Come to find out, there's a wanted child molestor with my name, that lived on a street with the same name as me. (it's not as weird as you'd think, streets in Phoenix continue for miles and miles, sometimes stopping and starting again)

I figured it'd take a bit longer if only because of that.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Diode

Post by Diode »

barres wrote:Today is day 42. Still no PIN, so I pulled out my copies of the app to get the number off of it. I just e-mailed chlATtxdps.state.tx.us asking what the status was and what, if anything I could do to speed things up a tad. I'll let y'all know what their reply is when I get it.
They have had mine about 32 days I e-mail them yesterday, we'll compare notes :)

barres
Posts in topic: 27

Post by barres »

When I checked my e-mail this morning, I had a reply from DPS. It contained my PIN, and virtually nothing else. So I logged in to the Track Status app. online, and got this dreaded response:

Application incomplete - missing information - detailed letter has been sent.

I have no idea what could be missing. I double- and triple-checked everything according to the checklist. Oh well, at least now DPS has an excuse for mine taking more than 60 days... But why did it take them 42 days to figure out something was missing? And I had to e-mail them and ask to get an answer this "soon!" :evil:

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 34

Timeframe on 25Apr06 for 23Mar06 DPS Packet Receipt

Post by Skipper5 »

"currently we are entering applications we received on 03/02/06, check back in a couple of weeks."

Above was response from DPS this morning via email.
----------------
My initial inquiry:
"Just checking on my status on my CHL packet received by you on 23Mar06 (signed USPS return receipt requested)
....the online status check still shows "Packet Mailed to Applicant "; and working PIN number. Nothing has changed to the online screen since soon after I repaid my fee to DPS online on 16Feb06. Trace Number:XXXXXXX

RedRaider
Posts in topic: 18

Post by RedRaider »

Just curious, do they typically respond to email inquiries within the same day?

barres
Posts in topic: 27

Post by barres »

RedRaider, they replied to my e-mail query on the same day, but it was late enough in the afternoon that I didn't see it until the next day.

Skipper5, if they're still saying they're entering apps from 03/02 today or yesterday, they're lying to you. My app was received by them on 03/13, and they were able to give me my PIN when I requested my status yesterday. That doesn't mean they've gotten you your app, yet, but they've gotten beyond 03/02.

Anyone care to bet that they're going to tell me that my fingerprints were smudged? I looked at the photocopies I made of the cards before mailing it all off, and they looked good to me, but that is the only thing I can think of as the reason my app is "incomplete."

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

DPS received application on March 7 (certified mail). I finally emailed for PIN on Friday and received it yesterday (Monday), so they are at least up to that date. We have not received PINs by mail yet.

Patience, patience

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Skipper5 »

Barres prolly the prints I would imagine...that is really frustrating at least you've heard something from them .... I had my pin already since Feb. 16th when completed and paid on-line. Still reads since I sent packet down to AUS and had return receipt from DPS... on the 23Mar06: " Packet Mailed to Applicant" as I posted today. "Working on group from 02Mar06" they said in email (2 days delay in email reply RedRaider.

Diode

Post by Diode »

I e-mailed them yesterday and got my pin number with the reply today. Sadly I get a "bad date Entered" when I try ot log in.... ARGH! Now I get to bother them with more e-mail..... :(

lrb111
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lrb111 »

Diode wrote:I e-mailed them yesterday and got my pin number with the reply today. Sadly I get a "bad date Entered" when I try ot log in.... ARGH! Now I get to bother them with more e-mail..... :(
Make sure the date is set to your birthday. It was resetting on me to Jan 1 which is not my birthday.

edit for: fat fingers
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Diode

Post by Diode »

I recieved an e-mail reply with my pin number yesterday but when I tried to use it I got a message my Data didnt match what was in their system, I e-mail the nice lady back and she told me to call her. She tried it and got the same response, she asked me to wait 24 hours and try again, she said my info was logged earlier that day and it may take 24 hours to show up in the system....hmmmm! anyway if it helps they recieved my packet on March 23rd and I got my PIN April 25th.

I will say this, these people at DPS are very nice and are very helpful.

skerbo
Posts in topic: 10

Post by skerbo »

On day 62 here. I emailed them yesterday first thing in the morning and no reply yet.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

skerbo wrote:On day 62 here. I emailed them yesterday first thing in the morning and no reply yet.
Call 'em. From people's experiences on here, a call can be worth a lot more than an E-mail.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

xHypex
Posts in topic: 5

Post by xHypex »

I made a call to DPS today since I am on Day 61 and the woman who I spoke with was nice, but mentioned they are running behind as others have mentioned. My packet was received on 2-22, and she said they were waiting on information back from the counties.

The strange thing to me is that my record is squeeky clean and I have only ever lived in 2 counties in my life. It should be relatively simple to process the paperwork, and I even sent in digital fingerprints so as to avoid any possible slowdown because of bad prints.

I ended my call by asking if it was likely I would receive my liscense within the next 2 weeks. I am going on a road trip at that time, and she responded that it was probably not likely. I won't hold my breath, but I did everything possible on my side to enable a speedy processing time and it still looks like I will be >75 days based upon her comment.
-hype
Last edited by xHypex on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”