August Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Nighthawk
Posts in topic: 27

Re: August Applications

Post by Nighthawk »

I'm usually a patient person ~ but I gotta say ~ I'm not crazy about the taking of the money and the 60 -120 days after that to process. I understand why it's that way and I don't really have a better idea (as I'm not knowledgable of the DPS Process) but I know it could be done more effeciently. This is an area that could benefit from some Six Sigma/Lean process improvement. Oh well ~ it's easy to say that while sitting around waiting....
Browning BDM 9mm
SW99 9mm
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Class 8/16/08
Mailed 8/20/08
Received 8/22/08
PIN Received 9/8/08
Application Completed 10/30/08
Plastic Arrived 11/3/08

wilder
Posts in topic: 10

Post by wilder »

Nighthawk wrote:I'm usually a patient person ~ but I gotta say ~ I'm not crazy about the taking of the money and the 60 -120 days after that to process. I understand why it's that way and I don't really have a better idea (as I'm not knowledgable of the DPS Process) but I know it could be done more effeciently. This is an area that could benefit from some Six Sigma/Lean process improvement. Oh well ~ it's easy to say that while sitting around waiting....
That would be nice, but most efficiency models are the result of a competitive marketplace. The government has a monopoly this product. ;-)

Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

wilder wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:I'm usually a patient person ~ but I gotta say ~ I'm not crazy about the taking of the money and the 60 -120 days after that to process. I understand why it's that way and I don't really have a better idea (as I'm not knowledgable of the DPS Process) but I know it could be done more effeciently. This is an area that could benefit from some Six Sigma/Lean process improvement. Oh well ~ it's easy to say that while sitting around waiting....
That would be nice, but most efficiency models are the result of a competitive marketplace. The government has a monopoly this product. ;-)

Very True!!
Browning BDM 9mm
SW99 9mm
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Class 8/16/08
Mailed 8/20/08
Received 8/22/08
PIN Received 9/8/08
Plastic Arrived 11/3/08

wilder
Posts in topic: 10

Post by wilder »

I got my registered mail delivery confirmation back yesterday. About how long untill I get a PIN?

texasccw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by texasccw »

You can request your PIN. Go to the DPS website and use the online services. There should be a section there where you can email them your info and they email you a PIN.
WWW.GUNBANOBAMA.COM

sivart-dod

Post by sivart-dod »

:???: I made a mistake on my application...... I was looking over the papers today ( I copied them ) and noticed that I did not put the correct zip code for a previous place of residence. This is going to be a problem isn't it? How would I correct it?

I check over that darn thing 20 times before I sent it too. :banghead:

CHLDave

Post by CHLDave »

I just sealed the envelope on my packet and will be mailing it from the post office tomorrow. It's a nice feeling to get everything accomplished so far, including documentation on an arrest in my past for a traffic ticket warrant :nono: ! And now.... I guess I'll sit back, relax and wait.

Can someone please point me toward the coffee and vending machines...

------------------------------------------------
08.07.08 - Online application complete
08.17.08 - Class taken
08.18.08 - Range qaulification passed
08.28.08 - Application mailed
CHLDave
08.17.08 - Class taken (BulletTrap, Plano)
08.31.08 - Processing Application

Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Congrats CDLDave ~ I wouldn't recomend the coffee ~ the last post was brewed when the July apps were submitted ~ hopefully you brought a book or twenty because it's probably gonna be a while.
Browning BDM 9mm
SW99 9mm
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Class 8/16/08
Mailed 8/20/08
Received 8/22/08
PIN Received 9/8/08
Plastic Arrived 11/3/08

wmjstu

Post by wmjstu »

Mailed my application off this morning in Plano. Looks as though its going to be a long wait. I ordered and received a MTAC Minotaur holster. I'll be breaking that in at home in the meanwhile. Should be plenty well broke in by the time the license arrives.
Class Taken: 8/17/08
Application Mailed: 8/27/08
DPS Rcv'd App: 8/29/08
Application Completed: 10/28/08

CHLDave

Post by CHLDave »

Yeah, as others have suggested, I guess this is a good time to experiment with holsters and carrying around the house. I also want to find some info on a local defensive handgun class in the Dallas area. If anyone has any knowledge of a good class/instructor, please post back (although I probably should post that in another forum category).
CHLDave
08.17.08 - Class taken (BulletTrap, Plano)
08.31.08 - Processing Application

akhooters7
Posts in topic: 4

Post by akhooters7 »

Hi,

new to the forum and waiting for my "plastic"

took the class on Aug. 9 here in the austin area
sent the packet in on Aug. 15
got my DPS pin Aug. 26......

the wait begins....

my instructor told us that we should expect up to a 4 month wait due to heavy influx of applications..... so All I Want For Christmas is My CHL.......

sivart-dod

Post by sivart-dod »

akhooters7 wrote:Hi,

new to the forum and waiting for my "plastic"

took the class on Aug. 9 here in the austin area
sent the packet in on Aug. 15
got my DPS pin Aug. 26......

the wait begins....

my instructor told us that we should expect up to a 4 month wait due to heavy influx of applications..... so All I Want For Christmas is My CHL.......

Welcome! I think all the chairs are full though! you might have to pick a spot on the floor :lol:

It seems they have been speeding up the process recently though, so we shall see! :waiting: Im hoping to have it by the end of November.

firegirl911
Posts in topic: 3

Post by firegirl911 »

Pullin' up a chair and joinin' the wait! :nopity

CHL Class: 8/9
App Mailed: 8/10
Letter w/PIN received: 8/22
"Processing" :sleep
"To disarm the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason

Carry
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Carry »

:anamatedbanana

Check has cleared & received letter with PIN #.
Texas DPS site says: Processing Application
-------
2008 (lost all my data!)
Mailed application August
Rec'd plastic in mail 10/27/2008

RedRaider29
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RedRaider29 »

Well I religiously check the DPS website everyday just hoping to see any update in my status and it drives me crazy to see processing application everyday.

My employer decided to help me out with that by scheduling me to be out of town two weeks straight in the middle of September to be followed by a few days of vacation and a road trip for me. :clapping:

So thanks to my work and vacation I won't have any time to check the the DPS website for at least the last three weeks in September so time will fly by for me!! "rlol"

Here's to hoping for a surprise waiting for me on the DPS website by the time I get back in October! But, knowing my luck, I'll just find a letter stating that my fingerprints need to be redone. :rules:

I'm glad to see there is a community soapbox in this waiting room. I'll step down now and let someone else have a turn. Anyone have the newest issue of Guns & Ammo in here, I need something to read...
8/13/2008- Packet Received at DPS
8/20/2008- Status Changed to Processing Application
10/21/2008- Application Complete License Active (68 Days)
10/23/2008- Plastic in Hand!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”