The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
GrandmasterB
Posts in topic: 1

Concealment garments?

Post by GrandmasterB »

What do you wear to conceal your CCW?

I like vests in cooler weather, but not the typical "tactical" or "photo" vest. I usually go for a fleece vest or I have a nylon one with fleece lining. It is warm and conceals an IWB holster very well.

In the summer time, I usually wear an untucked button up shirt over a T-shirt, but sometimes even this is too hot here in the Houston area, so I resort to my Colt Mustang .380 and pocket carry.

I am looking for more suggestions of concealment garments to add to my wardrobe for different modes of dress and seasons.

What works for you?
Romans 5:8

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

For really warm weather here in southeast Texas, I have a couple of brightly-colored Hawaiian shirts which I wear unbottoned in the front over a T-shirt to conceal a pistol in an IWB holster. I sew a few very small fishing weights to the hem of the shirt to help keep it down in the wind. I also have a couple of plain tan long-sleeved BDU shirts, too, which don't look particularly like military garments.

I like fleece vests in the winter. I sometimes wear a Royal Robbins 5.11 vest in warmer weather, too.

I have been known to carry a Smith 642 in a pocket holster, too. Improvisation is required to avoid being obvious. My sweetie said, "Before I knew you, I used to think all those older guys wearing vests were photographers. Now I know that most of them are carrying." Yeah.

The Smith, which has an enclosed hammer, is also the hot ticket for cold weather carry when placed in the outside pocket of a heavy coat, because it can be fired if necessary through the coat pocket - and a guy with his hand in his coat pocket looks perfectly natural in cold weather.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I dress around the gun. I prefer loose untucked shirts that will conceal my pistol. I have yet to find an IWB holster that I like so I usually use a belt holster. I do have a "tuckable" IWB that I use when I absolutely have to. I try to avoid the "shoot me first" look of fanny packs and 5.11 style vests.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Although I don't have the CHL yet I do wear my gun at home. It seems a good time to see what will and won't work for me and my activity. So for my best results have come with an untucked button down shirt over a t-shirt. For my little revolver I can do IWB or OWB. With the 1911 or CZ-75 IWB or OWB in winter (if we ever get one) with a coat.

too-tall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by too-tall »

I carry in an IWB. I carry either a BHP 40 cal, or a 1911 45.
I wear the square tail Dickie brand uniform looking shirts that a lot of mechanics wear over a T-shirt.. In winter time I just wear a jacket over the shirt. When I go inside a resturant, I can take my jacket off and still be concealed.

Too Tall

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Wrangler western shirt, unbuttoned, with the cuffs rolled up two turns, worn over T-shirt or short-sleeve dress shirt; IWB holster. CZ75B disappears, does not print as long as I do not bend at the waist (bend knees to pick things up off ground). Re-holstering takes practice to keep the shirt-tail out of the way.

This is not "too" hot, even in summer. Keeps sun off - and when ragged about it, mention prevalence of skin cancer in Texas and people shut up right away.

With all that said, I am really interested in a better set up so will watch this thread for ideas.

Purrrrs,
BobCat
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

LarryArnold

Post by LarryArnold »

JC Penney sells short and long sleeve pullover shirts with finished hems obviously designed to wear over your belt. In changeable weather I tuck them in and wear a sweater. It's easy to untuck the shirt as you pull the sweater off.

Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave »

I live in East Texas, and during the summer you just can't beat and IWB holster and an untucked Polo or heavy T shirt. Even in moderate weather I'll use the same method with a long sleeve pull over shirt. You just need to practice and make sure you can clear the garment and present the pistol when needed.
Dr Dave

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Roughly hip-length, lightweight (unlined) windbreaker works well here for several months out of the year, especially if I decide to carry larger pistola OWB.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

TraCoun

BDU shirt

Post by TraCoun »

I have a BDU shirt/jacket that works real well and is very comfortable unless it gets to warm. A fairly loose shirt or t-shirt otherwise. Since my main holster is IWB, I am more concerned with my mag carrier showing.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I have an easy program to help you conceal a handgun, it has worked for me so far:

Eat a lot
Don't excersise
Gain about 130 lbs from when you were the fittest

Then wear a button-up 3x shirt in whatever kind of holster you want with whatever kind of gun you want. Never prints, and you never have to worry about some hottie coming up and hugging you unexpectedly as you now wiegh 300 lbs!!! But that is just how I do it, being trully dedicated to concealed carry and all.

Glenn

nemesis

Post by nemesis »

What do you wear to conceal your CCW?
Just yer regular clothes. I'm not a part-time, after work carrier; I carry full time so I usually use a tuckable holster and regular clothes. Of course, in deep south Texas; that's usually shorts and a short sleeved shirt but the people I work with don't seem to notice nor care.

Most folks that have problems carrying are usually part time carriers who are stymied when thay can't conceal with a variety of untucked shirts, vests and jackets. Some of us just have to do it everyday and don't give much notice.

Braden

Post by Braden »

I know this is an old thread...but I'm bored.

My G22 (OWB) is concealed with nothing more than an untucked polo shirt or t-shirt. This is what I wear 9 months out of the year...maybe more. When it gets cold enough I'll put on a sweater instead or simply slide my Carrhart jacket on over the polo.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

By the way, yall, my earlier post was a joke and would have expected some :roll: or :lol: , at least a :P .

I too am bored and sitting at a bank.

Glenn

Johnny Van Etta

Post by Johnny Van Etta »

:D :shock: :oops: :twisted:

Return to “New to CHL?”