The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Doc K
Posts in topic: 2

Brand new (today) to CHL

Post by Doc K »

Howdy,

I got a late start in guns, but I guess you have to start somewhere. Now that I have my CHL, I feel a strong responsibility to become as competent as I can be. I know I lack experience with handguns, but I’m committed to getting better. I want to be prepared, but hope to never need to use a pistol outside of the range.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but an unprepared CHL holder scares the hell out of me. From what I saw during my CHL shooting test, a lot of people (me included) need to do a lot of work.

Timeline for my handgun experience:
Until 2007, no interest in handguns
11/1/07 inherited a 39 year old Colt 1911
Interest in handguns is piqued
Since 11/15/07:
3750 shots logged
11 hours of tactical lessons from LEO instructors
Guns purchased –
XD 9 (cheap ammo)
Kahr PM 9 (easy to conceal)
Kimber .45 1911 (just wanted it)

Timeline for my CHL application process:
2/11 Online application with DPS
3/16 Took class
3/17 Mailed packet
7/20 Gave up checking DPS Website
7/25 Vowed to email DPS next week
7/26 Got IT in the mail today (129 days or 4 months, 7 days or 11,145,600 seconds or 185,760 minutes or 3096 hours or 18 weeks, 3 days)
… But who was counting!!

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Brand new (today) to CHL

Post by flintknapper »

Congratulations Doc, welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation here.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I'd say with 11 hours of instruction and two 1911's that you've made an excellent start!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

bryang

Post by bryang »

Mike1951 wrote:I'd say with 11 hours of instruction and two 1911's that you've made an excellent start!
:iagree:
I agree, you are off to a great start! Welcome! Glad to have you on board. You will find a lot of really good folks here and a gold mine of information. :thumbs2:
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

congrats on finding your way to the forum. Glad to have another CHL'er on board.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Topic author
Doc K

Post by Doc K »

Thanks for all the warm greetings!
This forum and you guys are great.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

With your attitude & desire to learn you will do well & learn fast.
Good job & welcome. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

Doc,

I think we, as CHL holders, focus too much on the equipment side of the CHL responsibilities. Seems like most of us are more interested in the equipment (which gun to buy, what caliber, which holster, which stance to use) rather than the current laws. As a CHL holder, you may only have to use your equipment once, or at most twice, in your lifetime (assuming you have a normal life). Most CHL never have to use their firearms. However, you will be confronted by legal issues (when to carry, where can I carry, what restrictions) DAILY. My advice to new CHL, or anyone looking to purse a CHL, is to first learn the laws, and then when you've got them memorized go work on you technique. I would rather people who carried guns that can't put 5 shots in a 4 inch circle at 25 yards, but know absolutely when they should/shouldn't a firearm be the majority, rather than have people that carried a gun, and could put 5 shots into 2 inches at 25 yards but doesn't know when it is appropriate to use a firearm.

Personally, I think CHL holders focus too much on the guns, and not enough on the laws/circumstances when a firearm should be used. Don't believe me? Look at this very site. The "General Gun, Shooting & Equipment" thread has 4768 topics, with 68,348 posts. The "Never Again" forum, which focuses on real life situations where firearms were used, or "what if" scenarios where people ask when it is appropriate to use the firearm has a mere 282 topics, 4495 posts. People like talking about guns, not when it is appropriate to use them.

My only advice, to you, is that you probably have more training right now than 80% of the people holding CHL's. I would suggest you put your lawyer hat on and spend the same amount of time learning the laws inside and out.

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

BigBlueDodge wrote: Personally, I think CHL holders focus too much on the guns, and not enough on the laws/circumstances when a firearm should be used. Don't believe me? Look at this very site. The "General Gun, Shooting & Equipment" thread has 4768 topics, with 68,348 posts. The "Never Again" forum, which focuses on real life situations where firearms were used, or "what if" scenarios where people ask when it is appropriate to use the firearm has a mere 282 topics, 4495 posts. People like talking about guns, not when it is appropriate to use them.
Or maybe everyone on this board is incredibly safe and don't have those "never again" moments :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, familiarizing yourself with both the law and your equipment is equally important as a CHLer. Practice practice practice, read read read.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Return to “New to CHL?”