April Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

kicker
Posts in topic: 3

Re: April Applications

Post by kicker »

April 7th- License Received in Austin
June 12- Application not yet entered
July 17 - Received PIN
July 31 - License Received

117 days, not that I was counting or anything...

Fixintu
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Fixintu »

kicker wrote:April 7th- License Received in Austin
June 12- Application not yet entered
July 17 - Received PIN
July 31 - License Received

117 days, not that I was counting or anything...
Congrats kicker! :thumbs2: Wally Walk time!
EDC:Glock 43 IWB
USAF Vet

WC87
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WC87 »

Still PROCESSING APPLICATION... :mad5
CHL Class: 2/17/08
Mailed packet 4/07/08
Check Cleared 4/11/08
PIN # received 7/17/08
8/14/08 Status Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

ABN556
Posts in topic: 25

Post by ABN556 »

It seems like there are only a few of us left waiting on April applications. May applicants have been receiving theirs for some time now. I have a nasty letter to Rick Perry ready to mail out tomorrow AM. Phone calls and e--mails to elected officials have done no good at all.

This whole thing has tried my patience worse than anything I have done in the last 20 years.
04/19/08 - Took Class
4/25/08 – Packet received by DPS
5/1/08 – Check cleared my bank
7/21/08 – Rec’d PIN
08/28/08 - Heather called - license being mailed out today.
08/29/08 - web site updated:

RichardJ
Posts in topic: 19

Post by RichardJ »

WC87 wrote:Still PROCESSING APPLICATION... :mad5
We are on the same timeline. Still "processing" mine also. Hopefully not much longer.

Update: Just sent another email to DPS. Asking for a little more detailed reason why my app has taken more than 100 days to process. But I am not holding my breath.
Took class 4/5/08
Mailed packet to DPS 4/7/08
Packet received @ DPS 4/8/08
PIN received 7/26/08
9/6/08 Appication Complete
9/9/08 Plastic in hand

151 Days

ericsu19
Posts in topic: 43

Post by ericsu19 »

for 2 months I have been told waiting on background I found out Friday still waiting on Federal and state background how long does it take I have a clean record. They received April 16

sprmx199
Posts in topic: 7

Post by sprmx199 »

ericsu19 wrote:for 2 months I have been told waiting on background I found out Friday still waiting on Federal and state background how long does it take I have a clean record. They received April 16
I am in the same boat, they received mine at the same time and still nothing. :banghead:

Rub N Smoke
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Rub N Smoke »

It kills me to see you guys having these issues!! I've seen alot of posts saying it "slows down the process" if you call your Rep., the only thing I see it ACTUALLY does is hold DPS accountable to a "Higher Power" than just the "Applicant". No matter what is said I see now that calling my Rep., and Gov. Perrys office actually helped me, if even just a few days. Good Luck to all of you and Safe Carrying!!!
06 April 08: Class completed.
07 April 08: Paperwork sent.
11 April 08: Packet opened/ check cashed by DPS.
( 107 days License in hand!!)

ABN556

Post by ABN556 »

I called DPS - still "processing application". They claimed they were just waiting on part of the background check from a county. I asked them if they did not have a national agency checklist software platform that counties used to report to the state/feds. They seemed dumbfounded by the question.

104 days and counting. I'm hoping to have the license before the new President takes office in January, but this is by no means a certainty.
04/19/08 - Took Class
7/21/08 – Rec’d PIN

ABN556

Post by ABN556 »

Oh yeah - forgot in my earlier post - they told me today that applications were running an average of 120 days now do to the # of applications they are receiving.
04/19/08 - Took Class
7/21/08 – Rec’d PIN

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

ABN556 wrote:I asked them if they did not have a national agency checklist software platform that counties used to report to the state/feds. They seemed dumbfounded by the question.
Considering the pay grade of the employees you're dealing with, they would be.

If you haven't read BigBlueDodge's excellent report, you should.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 42&t=17893
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

lphil
Posts in topic: 5

Post by lphil »

Today while eating a lousy sandwich at lunch today, I looked up my application, as is my daily custom. Getting ready for another disappointment, I looked up at my laptop screen and saw the most 7 beautiful words I have ever seen; Application Completed - license issued or certificate active. Since I live in Waco, I expect to get my plastic in 1 to 2 days (I hope). :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave :thewave To all of y'all waiting, remember to keep the faith. :txflag:
On-line application 2/10/08
Received packet 2/20/08
Took class 4/13/08
Mailed packet 4/14/08
Austin recieved packet 4/17/08
Processing Application 5/1/08
Retook finger prints & mailed 7/7/08
Application Completed 08/04/08
Plastic in hand 8/8/08 - 112 Days

BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 5

Post by BigBlueDodge »

ericsu19 wrote:for 2 months I have been told waiting on background I found out Friday still waiting on Federal and state background how long does it take I have a clean record.
ABN556 wrote:I called DPS - still "processing application". They claimed they were just waiting on part of the background check from a county. I asked them if they did not have a national agency checklist software platform that counties used to report to the state/feds. They seemed dumbfounded by the question.
If you have not read my post, pointed to by Mike1951, let me point out a fact that was discussed. Most people are frustrated at DPS, because they own the process and that is who people interface with. But what I was told in my call is that the county checks are what is currently taking the longest in the process (aside from just getting to your application in the pile). When DPS sends your information off to a county, it is a waiting game for them. I would advise that people start pressuring their counties to become more efficient in processing these checks, than venting their frustrations with DPS.

Also, if you list an address of any kind on your application, DPS will send off checks to EVERY county listed. I originally thought that DPS would only check with my home county (Tarrant) and was in fact surprised to see that they also checked in Dallas county as well, because my work address is technically in Dallas county. So the more counties involved, the longer the process.

ABN556

Post by ABN556 »

All of the addresses I listed were in Harris County - work and residences.

I know from experience in the military that there is a computer system used for basic backround checks that runs your name/ssn with the federal and state agencies. Checking this system takes just a matter of minutes and reports any convictions or problems on your record. It sounds to like the state has tried to recreate the wheel on the CHL and is using some homegrown contraption that takes weeks to do the same funtion.
04/19/08 - Took Class
7/21/08 – Rec’d PIN

jmorris
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmorris »

ABN556 wrote:All of the addresses I listed were in Harris County - work and residences.

I know from experience in the military that there is a computer system used for basic backround checks that runs your name/ssn with the federal and state agencies. Checking this system takes just a matter of minutes and reports any convictions or problems on your record. It sounds to like the state has tried to recreate the wheel on the CHL and is using some homegrown contraption that takes weeks to do the same funtion.
Problem is, as has been stated before, that these aren't the only background checks made. As BigBlueDodge said, they send requests to each county you've listed on the app. They send requests to different follks to see if you're in default on student loans, taxes, child support or "other govermental fees". None of these systems are integrated.

And doing a NCIC check is not the same as doing a fingerprint brackground check.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”