July '08 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ambitman
Posts in topic: 27

July '08 Applications

Post by ambitman »

I though I would start the thread for all of us July applicants.

First off I really like this forum it is most informative and I plan to be a member for a long time.

I mailed my application on July 15, 2008. The wait begins.

I would like to put a plug in for Dave Hammers at The Bullet Trap in Plano. He did a great job as our CHL instructor. The class was presented very well and I think he instructed in a way that kept verybody's attention for an entire 10 hour period. This was a tough task and he came through with flying colors!

July 15 Mailed Application
July 18 DPS Received
October 22 DPS website status change Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

wyatt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: July '08 Applications

Post by wyatt »

Welcome. get comfortable. There are some great people to learn from here. Enjoy yourself.

coltm4223

Post by coltm4223 »

Just mailed in my app. but lucky me I don't have to wait to carry, I still have my Connecticut non-resident license from when I lived there so all this is is extra insurance. Glad I had it, I don't know what I would do for four months.

jimmy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jimmy »

Dropped off my renewal materials at DPS headquarters in Austin yesterday, July 21, or about 90 days before my current CHL expires. When I did the same thing for my previous renewal, four years ago, the clerk informed me I'd get my new license within 45 days, as the law requires. No such statement this time around. From what I've read lately about delayed responses, it'll be interesting to see if I receive the new license before the old one is no longer valid.
:read:

kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 13

Post by kalipsocs »

*Takes a number* Whew.....looks like I got some waitin to do. No matter how prepared, no matter how punctual....always waiting at the DPS. I have my pin, but whenever I check it it says packet mailed to applicant. Guess that will change when they get around to working on it (I got the return receipt). My prediction is (since my luck is usually bad) I will be late October. I didn't feel the absolute strongest about the finger prints, but I did it exactly as the lady at the Hays County Sheriffs Dept instructed me to and she even commented "you are better than most as they try to press....you done this before?" and had to say "Unfortunately, yes..." So somewhere in the system I KNOW they have a great set lol. Spending a night in juvie will 15 scare you straight....nuff said.

I haven't even carried yet and I already feel naked *sigh* Like someone else said, at least it will be getting cold and give me a little more leeway to pack my CZ P-01. :anamatedbanana

jaf
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jaf »

Well, my packet was delivered July 16th so I am interested to see how long it will take. I heard rumors that Veterans were getting done a little quicker :patriot: but I will not be holding my breath. I still can't believe that I have to pay to carry a weapon and protect myself and family. But that is another topic altogether. Off to find a IWB for a G19 :totap:
07/10/2008 - Class taken
07/16/2008 - DPS received packet
08/08/2008 - Pin mailed
08/26/2008 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active.
08/28/2008 - License received.

ag07e
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ag07e »

I'm thinking late October or early November...
07/06/2008 CHL Class
07/08/2008 Mailed DPS CHL Application
07/10/2008 USPS Receipt
08/09/2008 PIN Received in Mail
Plastic Day: Late Late October or Early November?

usdave1t
Posts in topic: 6

Post by usdave1t »

I am figuring on early November.........if the plastic comes sooner then its a bonus! 18th November would be 120 days - thats a long wait!!
07/12 CHL Class
07/17 Mailed Package
07/21 Package at DPS
11/03 Email to The Governors Office
11/04 Response from Governors Office
11/07 Received PIN - Processing Application
11/08 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
11/10 Plastic in Hand

Topic author
ambitman

Post by ambitman »

I am with you I think it could be an early November date. As long as we get them before the election that would be good. I feel sorry for the DPS folks. They are getting hammered with new applications and it appears to me that the State isn't hiring any more people. These people must me overworked. So let's remember this when we call them. They are all working as hard as they can.
July 18 DPS Received
October 22 DPS website status change Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Topic author
ambitman

Moving toward the goal

Post by ambitman »

Just a quick update to all my July Application Friends

July 15 Mailed Application
July 18 DPS Received Package
Waiting, Waiting Waiting.....
July 18 DPS Received

waterpump1
Posts in topic: 14

Post by waterpump1 »

packet arrived at DPS 7/18/08.
Now for the wait :waiting: :txflag:
IANAL
NRA-member
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/28/2008 completed chl app on
10/10/08 (plastic in hand) 84 days
"Especially for you Mr. Gore....From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rokyudai »

Ugh...

My wife mailed her New CHL application on July 4th. We called 7/29 for an update. They tell us that it is not in the system yet! It's not even showing as received! They checked by SS# and DL#...bupkiss I tells ya!
:banghead: :totap:
NRA Benefactor Member

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

For my July '08 friends: Today is day 98 for me, I haven't checked the DPS Web site, I haven't called, and I don't plan on calling. The sad fact is they are backed up and it's getting worse. (I think, I could be wrong) There are a few exceptions, but most of us are waiting 100+ days. I haven't heard a peep from DPS, (no news is good news right?) so I'm just going to be cool and wait. The folks here are very nice, and I've learned alot in my 98 days here. So, get comfy, and hopefully we'll all have our CHL's before the election.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Topic author
ambitman

The wait continues...

Post by ambitman »

Well all my July applicant friends the wait continues but the good nes is that July is over. Now the sands of time are moving through the hour glass in a our favor! Soon we wil not be the new kids in the waiing room becuase there will be an August board!
July 18 DPS Received

Topic author
ambitman

Post by ambitman »

98 days is a long time but you know the more I study concealed carry the more I appreciate Texas. I think that those of use that do carry in Texas are the cream of the crop. Many states have few requirements. To legally carry in Texas you have to be a good person and Texas does it's homework. This just takes time.
July 18 DPS Received

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”