Dog attack and CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
amaguy
Posts in topic: 4

Dog attack and CHL

Post by amaguy »

Hello all...been getting some good info from this site for a while. Finally registered.
A man walking his dog was attacked by a pit bull only 2 blocks from my house last Sunday (July 6).
The man received severe injuries to his hand and arm trying to protect his small dog. Dog was also
injured. Paper said both will recover. Pit owner did the right thing and turned dog over to animal
control. It will be put down after 10 day rabies check.
The question I have is would a CHL holder be justified in shooting an attacking dog to protect their
dog and themselves? I walk my dog in the same neighborhood and always carry. I did a search on this
forum and didn't find anything pertaining to this situation.

Thanks, amaguy

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dog attack and CHL

Post by seamusTX »

Topic author
amaguy

Post by amaguy »

Thanks Jim...from reading the posts you provided, I think that shooting an attacking dog would be justified to protect
yourself and dog.

amaguy

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

If it's a big, aggressive dog, especially one that is labeled a "pit bull" (a misused term, IMHO), you should get a pass. I still think it's a good idea to carry pepper spray and a stick if you're walking a dog. It helps avoid accusations that you were just looking for something to shoot.

- Jim

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

One more previous Topic on the subject: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =7&t=15616.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

seamusTX wrote:If it's a big, aggressive dog, especially one that is labeled a "pit bull" (a misused term, IMHO), you should get a pass. I still think it's a good idea to carry pepper spray and a stick if you're walking a dog. It helps avoid accusations that you were just looking for something to shoot.

- Jim
I very much agree with this. Just because you have a CHL and can carry a gun doesn't mean that the gun is always the right tool to use. Personally, there are very few dogs that I would fear for my life that would require me to draw my weapon. Add to that that most likely a dog is going to be running in a dead sprint, and most people don't train to shoot moving targets. In all truth, a stick or pepper spray would probably be the best choice in this instance. You don't want to try and make shots of a running dog, that would ricochet off a sidewalk and enter into a neighbors car or house.

As I read this forum more. that old saying keeps sticking in my head..."give a child a hammer, and everything looks like a nail"

Topic author
amaguy

Post by amaguy »

I also agree that a stick or pepper spray might be better than using a gun. I wouldn't consider a running dog to be a threat.
If the dog has stopped running and has its jaws clamped around any of my body parts or my dog's head, then I would consider it a threat and would take appropriate action.

amaguy

Henry Dearborn

Post by Henry Dearborn »

Amaguy....short for Amarillo? Saw that dog attack in the paper.

Know that there is a city ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms within city limits. Also know that one of the specified exemptions for this is the shooting of a dangerous dog on your own property. Not of much help when out walking but in talking to the "powers that be"....they have pretty much declared war on biting dogs in this town. Shoot them at will.

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

that would be one dead dog... dead bang.

i'm not gonna risk injury by getting into fisticuffs with a raging dog nor risk spraying mace and getting it on me either through blowback (wind) or spraying the dog and him coming after me anyway.

i highly doubt any police officer in Texas would break out the magic bracelets for that. Highly doubt you'd even get a ticket. Worst case scenario you get a jury trial. I HIGHLY doubt your peers would send you to the pokey for defending yourself.

Topic author
amaguy

Post by amaguy »

Henry Dearborn wrote:Amaguy....short for Amarillo? Saw that dog attack in the paper.

Know that there is a city ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms within city limits. Also know that one of the specified exemptions for this is the shooting of a dangerous dog on your own property. Not of much help when out walking but in talking to the "powers that be"....they have pretty much declared war on biting dogs in this town. Shoot them at will.
Yep, been here since the early 70's. Grew up close to Lubbock.
Amarillo does seem to have way too many dangerous dog incidents. Mostly good dogs with bad owners.

amaguy

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Be careful. Some dogs are more equal than others. http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =7&t=16763
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I say...if you are in fear of injury (or worse) to youself or others.....SHOOT IT!!!!! Human or Dog it is still Self Defense.
I am NOT trusting my life to a stick OR pepper spray.

Just 2 nights ago as I was heading to bed, I heard gun shots in the street in front of my house. I grabbed my pistol and peeked out the window. There was cop car, a cop in the street with pistol drawn, and a dog down.
The Cop had stopped to check out a wrecked car (a week old hit 'n run casualty). As he was looking at the car a dog charged him and he shot it. Simple as that. Guess what...... It was a Pit Bull. NOT just another aggressive dog, NOT just a mutt, A Pit Bull Terrier. Believe it or not, its an actual breed.

I will say that not all aggressive dogs are Pit Bulls and not all Pit Bulls are aggressive. But because they are WELL KNOWN to be aggressive WITHOUT instigation, I will be on guard and ready when approached by one. And that goes for ANY known aggressive breed.....Pits, Rots, Chows, and many others.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

heliguy972

Post by heliguy972 »

I walk my neighborhood every few nights and I live in the proverbial "safe side of town", we rarely have any crime issues according to our local paper.

So I carry mostly during my walks for protection from dogs! As I walk the hood, there are dozens of dogs in the fenced backyards that I never see, but if a gate was accidently left open, I want to be prepared.

Mr.Scott

Post by Mr.Scott »

BigBlueDodge wrote:
seamusTX wrote:If it's a big, aggressive dog, especially one that is labeled a "pit bull" (a misused term, IMHO), you should get a pass. I still think it's a good idea to carry pepper spray and a stick if you're walking a dog. It helps avoid accusations that you were just looking for something to shoot.

- Jim
I very much agree with this. Just because you have a CHL and can carry a gun doesn't mean that the gun is always the right tool to use. Personally, there are very few dogs that I would fear for my life that would require me to draw my weapon. Add to that that most likely a dog is going to be running in a dead sprint, and most people don't train to shoot moving targets. In all truth, a stick or pepper spray would probably be the best choice in this instance. You don't want to try and make shots of a running dog, that would ricochet off a sidewalk and enter into a neighbors car or house.

As I read this forum more. that old saying keeps sticking in my head..."give a child a hammer, and everything looks like a nail"
You obviously haven't seen what kind of damage a large dog can do to a person. Serious Bodily Injury is another term thrown around for use of deadly force. If a large dog latches onto your arm, sometimes the only way you'll get that dog off of you is with either a crowbar, your arm finally shredded enough that he can't hold on or you kill the dog. 15 or so years ago, I witnessed a pit bull attack a grown man and take him to the ground. The owner of the pit bull luckily thought more about the man than the dog and literally had to beat his dog to death with a tire iron to get it to let go of the man.

I'll tell you right now, if I'm out walking with my kids and a large dog approaches in a threatening manner I'll have no hesitation in putting it down. As it is, one of my neighbors has 2 German Shepperds that are very aggressive and have tried jumping the fence to get at my dogs. I told the guy that if his dogs enter my yard they will be leaving in a garbage bag.
DIVIDED WE STAND, UNITED WE FALL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”