Academy 9mm price increase

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ghentry
Posts in topic: 3

Academy 9mm price increase

Post by ghentry »

I was at Academy today to pick up some Blazer Aluminum, and they wen't up on their price from $3.87 to $4.86! So much for getting all of my 9mm there. :sad:

ea40ss
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ea40ss »

That's a big jump! :shock: I hate to see that because that's where I get all of my 9mm ammo too. That's the usual price for the WWB. I wonder how much it went up to? Maybe I should start loading 9mm at home.

Thanks for the info.
Eric

Topic author
ghentry

Post by ghentry »

WWB was around $5.87 if I recall.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Our local Academy has increased prices. WWB is now 5.86 per box and Blazer is 4.86 per box. Just Sunday I picked up 300 rounds for $30.98 including government fee. Sure $3.86 per box is better, but the current price isn't too bad.

Does anyone know where else you can get 500 rounds of 9mm for $51.64 including government fee?

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

ea40ss wrote:That's a big jump! :shock: Maybe I should start loading 9mm at home.
Unless you wanted to tailor a load for a specific gun, I don't believe that reloading 9mm for practice ammo would be all that cost effective. Maybe I'll be corrected.

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Check out Wal-Mart, as they haven't raised their WWB (Q4172) costs yet. In Feb, I bought 20 boxes for $4.63 a box.

As for loading your own 9mm, I took a serious look at this when Academy raised their prices of WWB. To do this, I looked at what my brother uses, as he loads his own 9mm. He does it for two reasons, it's a hobby, and he is very competitive in IDPA. Here was my comparison:

LINK --> Reloading 9mm Cost Analysis

For the price, I can't compete with the Wally World WWB (Q4172), and if I tried to beat Academy's price, it would take me +40K rounds to recover the costs of the equipment. So I continue to buy factory rounds for now. :)

Ryan
Last edited by AggieMM on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I don't mind paying 4.86 for blazer at acadmey, as it's not Wal-Mart, and they don't write my name in their "ammo book" and bug me for ID like Wal-Mart does.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
ghentry

Post by ghentry »

nitrogen wrote:I don't mind paying 4.86 for blazer at acadmey, as it's not Wal-Mart, and they don't write my name in their "ammo book" and bug me for ID like Wal-Mart does.
I've never had either of them do that at my local Wal-Mart? I wonder if this is a local store policy?

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

ghentry wrote:
nitrogen wrote:I don't mind paying 4.86 for blazer at acadmey, as it's not Wal-Mart, and they don't write my name in their "ammo book" and bug me for ID like Wal-Mart does.
I've never had either of them do that at my local Wal-Mart? I wonder if this is a local store policy?
Same here, never been asked my ID at Wal-Mart.

Ryan

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

AggieMM wrote:
ghentry wrote:
Same here, never been asked my ID at Wal-Mart.

Ryan
It might just be the Wylie wal-mart, or maybe I just looked like a troublemaker. I'll give it another shot at another wal-mart as i'd rather be shooting WWB than Blazer anyway.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
--anonymous

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Maybe Wylie is stuck in the past. Way back in the past!

Man, how long has it been since ammo logs were required?

Kevin

WNallG30

Post by WNallG30 »

I can live with that increase. I almost cried when I went to buy ammo the first time after buying my .45 after shooting 9mm for several years!

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

I get my WWB 9mm at Wal-Mart and the prices have gone up. It's about $12 for 100 rounds. Used to be under $4-something for 50 rounds, but I haven't seen them carrying the 50 rounds boxes anymore.

The checker at Wal-Mart always asks me if this is for use in a handgun. Being the legal age to buy the ammo I respond truthfully, and they'll ask for my ID. I once asked if I had said "no" would you have still asked for my ID and they said "no". Seems kind of silly to me.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Nitrogen, how old are you? If you are in your early twenties that could be the reason, it is not proof of ID they are after but proof of age. That is a legal requirement just as it is for alcohol or tabbaco products. I have never been asked for ID at Walmart, but then I am wayyyyy past 21, but when they ring up the sale their screen show "is customer 21 or older?"

DaveB.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

bauerdj wrote:Nitrogen, how old are you? If you are in your early twenties that could be the reason, it is not proof of ID they are after but proof of age. That is a legal requirement just as it is for alcohol or tabbaco products. I have never been asked for ID at Walmart, but then I am wayyyyy past 21, but when they ring up the sale their screen show "is customer 21 or older?"

DaveB.
I just hit my 30's. For all I know, the guy behind the counter didn't know what was what, like typical wal-mart employees. I was waiting at the counter for 5 mins before I flagged someone down. They had to get a "manager" who looked younger than me, so who knows. I might give it another shot.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
--anonymous

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”