May Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 16

May Applications

Post by BigBlueDodge »

Well, I see that we have March and April threads, so I thought I would be proactive and start a May thread. I've read threads today that said DPS was still working on March applications, and another thread that said DPS had started May applications, so who knows.

Anyway, looking for May applicants to post up so we can start tracking when us May babies grow up.

My Info. I chose to go down the online application route, versus sending paperwork from my CHL class that had my information manually entered. My details are as follows

Class Taken 5/10/2008
Submitted Online Application 5/11/2008
Receceived Online Applicaton with PIN # From Austin 5/15/2008
Mailed Online Application with Class paperwork 5/16/2008 with delivery confirmation
Paperwork Received by Austin 5/20/2008

For the first time I decided to check my online status just today (6/24) for grins. Wasn't expecting much, and DPS delivered. Got the expected "Processing Application" status. I figure I'll wait another 3-4 weeks before I check again.

dawgfishboy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: May Applications

Post by dawgfishboy »

05/10/2008 CHL Trainning
05/13/2008 Mailed DPS CHL Application
05/15/2008 DPS Received Application
06/15/2008 DPS Online Status 'Processing Application'

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 11

Post by TexasComputerDude »

I took the class april 12th but couldn't send it in until may 1st lol, I guess that makes me one of the pack. I was hoping to have my chl before I went on vacation to new mexico, but I guess I won't be able to carry. :grumble

:txflag:
Glock 30 - main ccw

TexasComputerDude

Post by TexasComputerDude »

also, I wonder if the spike has started to subside at the DPS by now. Maybe may won't have as many applicants. I would consider that a bad thing if I didn't want MY chl so bad.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Bones444

Post by Bones444 »

No online applications were used. Total packet was picked up at my instructors class. I have not recieved my PIN and called twice and got the famous "not entered in system" line. But no biggie. I don't even have an IWB holster yet for my future daily carry (glock 36). I'll just keep practicing at the range until then :fire

5/3/08 CHL Class @ Lonestar Handguns at BassPro in SA
5/5/08 Mailed Packet
5/7/08 Packet Recieved
Carrying since '08...

mr.72
Posts in topic: 20

Post by mr.72 »

Mailed in my online app 5/26. Failed to write down the PIN or the application # (so no way to retrieve PIN) so no clue on status.

32 days today.

If I get it by August 1 I will be thrilled.

Otherwise I will just be normal :)
non-conformist CHL holder

SA-XD40
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SA-XD40 »

Hey guys, new to the forum.... I took my class on 5/3 and sent the pack on 5/5... I got my letter with my pin on 6/18 have been on processing appl ever since hope it doesn't take much longer, my ankle is waiting for my XD40..

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longhorn_92 »

SA-XD40 wrote:Hey guys, new to the forum.... I took my class on 5/3 and sent the pack on 5/5... I got my letter with my pin on 6/18 have been on processing appl ever since hope it doesn't take much longer, my ankle is waiting for my XD40..
Welcome to the forum!

You can learn a lot from talking to these guys and gals in this forum....Many great individuals!

Looks like you are only 1/3 of the way home..... :thumbs2:
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

XDpackinBob
Posts in topic: 9

Post by XDpackinBob »

Mailed my app late mid May and got the PIN 6-26 (using the suffix as my first name and sending me a non-working PIN at that) so they have started working on mine, I think LOL.

Update 7/2/2008
As per the reply to my 1st E-Mail the Name issue has been corrected, Data in their records checked and is OK, PIN still does not work, 2nd E-Mail sent about the PIN, reply received, Data on record OK, Now being told there is a problem with the website login, others having problems too, their working on it.

Update (number 2) 7-2-2008
PIN fixed and working just checked and was able to login.
Now to not use it for a month or so
Last edited by XDpackinBob on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XD-40 Sub-Compact, Blackhawk! CQC Serpa level 2 and 3, Tuck This.
NRA.
TSRA.

Class. 5-14-08
Mailed. 5-15
Received. 5-19-08
96 days, Completed and active. 8-23-08
Plastic in hand. 8-27-08
First renewal complete
Second renewal pending

Bob

SA-XD40

Post by SA-XD40 »

Thank you longhorn, I have already picked up a few things from lurking around here.

eric
Posts in topic: 1

Post by eric »

Yes, the waiting is hard. I did the instructor packet and had it all done right I thought. I had to wait 3 weeks before sending it in and in that that time the county changed my address again for 911 purposes. Then I had had to change alot of things on all documents and it looked messed up, there was not much room on the documents to do that. I sent a copy of the letter from the county to explain why the address was changed on everything. That was 2 yrs. ago and it worked out good with no problem. I am trying to help out, be sure to include everything including with a copy of anything that might disqualify you. The copies will expedite the process in my opinion.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Just a heads up..............When you call DPS about your CHL, ask for the person that is actually processing your app. The ppl that answer the calls only give generic answers and really dont have any info on where you are in the process.
When I called, the female that answered the phone was very short with her answers and borderline rude (I do understand the amount of calls they take). I had a couple of questions that she was unable to answer and finally I got transfered to the Lady that processed my app. She was VERY helpful and VERY kind. She even called me back to answer a question that she didnt have the info on at the time of the call.

Good Luck
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

kappatiff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kappatiff »

Dates are below ... didn't even know online was an option, so my husband and I both went the paper route. Wish I'd know then what I know now! Haven't even received a PIN.

Does anyone have a good phone number for the CHL office?
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

Topic author
BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 16

Post by BigBlueDodge »

I've always used the main number (800) 224-5744. I've called in twice for application questions, and have always gotten a person in 5-10 minutes. Yes, they are busy trying to process applications, and talk to people on the phone, so don't expect to get someone in 30 seconds. But, you will get someone if you wait long enough.

But I will prepare you that you are most likely going to get a generic answer, so don't be expecting much.

mr.72
Posts in topic: 20

Post by mr.72 »

well I just checked mine... they say "Packet Mailed to Applicant"... what in the heck does that mean?
non-conformist CHL holder

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”