Strange happenings last night

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tboesche
Posts in topic: 2

Strange happenings last night

Post by tboesche »

So I am laying in bed, its about 10:15 PM, wife and daughter are in the family room watching TV or something. All of a sudden, 4 extremely loud bangs on the front door and the door bell rings twice. All 3 dogs, Rot/Lab mix, Pit/Border collie mix and my Eskimo go crazy. I roll out of bed and grab my CZ-75 and run towards the front door. As I am crossing the living room, I can see thru the curtains that there is a red Ford Explorer parked in front of my house with its lights on. I get to the front door and yell "who is it?" I get no answer. As I look thru the peep hole I can see the explorer is still there but there is no one at the door. Dogs are still going nuts. I now have to make a decision, Stay where I am and wait, go out side in my skivvies, gun at low ready or go get my pants on and go out side. I race back to my bed room and throw on my Jeans. Racing back to the front door I can see that the Explorer is slowly starting to drive off. A quick look thru the peep hole to verify that no one is there and I open the door, CZ at low ready. The Explorer drives away quickly but not recklessly.

At this point I expect to find a bag of flaming dog poo on the front porch but no. Nothing. I grab a flashlight and check around the house, check the 3 cars in the drive way, check around the neighbors house. Nothing. So I camped out on the couch in the living room for about an hour and then went to bed.

At this point I am thinking 1 of 2 things was going on. Either:

1. Goblins doing a probe to determine if they should come back later or not, or

2. Punks kids playing a prank. I also have a highschool age daughter that is out of town, but she says she does not know anyone with an Exploder.

I am leaning more towards #2

Thoughts?
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

anygunanywhere

Re: Strange happenings last night

Post by anygunanywhere »

I would expect the worst and hope for the best.

Increase your situational awareness for the next few weeks. I would report it to the PD.

Keep a shotgun or EBR at the ready. Handguns are to fightyour way to your long gun in your home.

Discuss what you need to do with your family.

Anygunanywhere
Last edited by anygunanywhere on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

anygunanywhere wrote:Keep a shotgun or EBR at the ready.
OK, I'm a little slow this morning. What is EBR?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

quidni
Posts in topic: 1

Post by quidni »

Evil Black Rifle.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Crossfire wrote:
Shouldn't moderators on a gun board be up-to-speed on gun board abbreviations?

"rlol"

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Vic303

Post by Vic303 »

Could also be a case of mistaken address...I'd guess the dogs barking got the point across that this was not the house they thought it was...

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

Vic303 wrote:Could also be a case of mistaken address...I'd guess the dogs barking got the point across that this was not the house they thought it was...
That could be a possibility...

But, remember school is out - and there is typically (well, around where I live) - more pranks and vandalism done during the summer months. They get bored and start tearing brick mailboxes down, slashing tires, knocking car windows out, etc...

Not exactly sure what it could have been....
Last edited by longhorn_92 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

BigDan

Post by BigDan »

longhorn_92 wrote:But, remember school is out - and there is typically (well, around where I live) - more pranks and vandalism done during the summer months. They get bored and start tearing brick mailboxes down, slashing tires, knocking car windows out, etc...
Yeah, that is definitely the case in our neighborhood. Police have been increasing their patrols because of increased vandalism of vehicles in our area. A co-worker had someone walk into his house and steal stuff the other night (he lives on a big lot and didn't think he needed to lock his door). He and his neighbors have stepped up their awareness BIG time.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Fr. TX Rep. Suzanna Hupp
!حان أن أحصل على بعض

Topic author
tboesche

Post by tboesche »

anygunanywhere wrote: Keep a shotgun or EBR at the ready. Handguns are to fightyour way to your long gun in your home.

Discuss what you need to do with your family.

Anygunanywhere
My EBR is still "under construction" :oops: I should be ordering the upper in a week or two. :hurry: Shotgun is loaded but in the closet, cased. My two hand guns, CZ-75B and Taurus PT-111 are either in the night stand or under the mattress by my head, locked and loaded all the time.

I suspect that "they" saw me open the door with a gun in my hand and scadoodled. I can imagine their faces, if they were kids, if I would have came outside with an AR-15 at the ready. "rlol"
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

probably knocked first, realized it was the wrong address, and then took off.
If I did that late at night, I wouldn't wanna explain to whoever answered the door. Im sure they would be kinda cranky.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Crossfire wrote:
Shouldn't moderators on a gun board be up-to-speed on gun board abbreviations?

"rlol"

Anygunanywhere
It's a CHL Forum - as in concealed handguns. EBR is not a handgun abbreviation.

And just remember, it's not nice to mess with the mods. :nono: Not even the less educated ones...
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Crossfire wrote:It's a CHL Forum - as in concealed handguns. EBR is not a handgun abbreviation.
KelTec might disagree: http://www.stellarrigs.com/Carbine_Pistol_Rigs.html

red2000vette

Post by red2000vette »

What a strange coincidence. Recently, I had a knock at my door at about 10:00pm. I looked through the window and saw two guys standing there in hoodies. One was wearing sunglasses (it was pitch black out except for my porch lights). I had my stainless CZ75b in hand. I motioned throught the window in a way that communicated to them that I was uninterested in anything they had to offer and off they went. I called my neighbors to warn them but they did not show up at any of my neighbor's homes - so I guess they were not jahovah witnesses.

We have had a few home invasions in our neighborhood in Coppell so I called 911 and reported them. Frankly, I cant understand how anyone would expect someone to come to the door for two guys in hoodies at 10:00 at night. But who knows if they were just wanting to see if someone stupid was at home or if anyone was home period.

I guess the coincidence is that we both had our CZ in hand and ready to deal with two wild and crazy guys. ;-)

BigDan

Post by BigDan »

The one thing I would suggest is to also grab your keys on your way to the door. If at any time you needed to raise an alarm, pushing your fob's Panic button would help. I think I'd do that automatically, having thought about it. It may not attract your neighbor's attention for a while, but it may just be enough to scare them off. We have a panic button on our alarm system right by the door, so I think I'd consider hitting that as well. At least get someone notified to send help, you know?

These are dark times and I hope that things get better. Until then, we're on our own...
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Fr. TX Rep. Suzanna Hupp
!حان أن أحصل على بعض

Vic303

Post by Vic303 »

Vic303 wrote:Could also be a case of mistaken address...I'd guess the dogs barking got the point across that this was not the :leaving house they thought it was...
I should've added that I was envisioning a case of too much liquid intelligence, a jilted boyfriend out for revenge, and the wrong address... :leaving

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”