Are night sights REALLY necessary?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
HT
Posts in topic: 4

Are night sights REALLY necessary?

Post by HT »

Statistically speaking, how many shootings have there been under really low light conditions where night sights would be needed?
I have them on my carry gun but are they really necessary? I had them put on because everyone had them and recommended I get some. I don't think there's been any time that I've been in total darkness or in extreme low light conditions. Isn't that what a flashlight is for? Your thoughts..

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are night sights REALLY necessary?

Post by KBCraig »

HT wrote:Statistically speaking, how many shootings have there been under really low light conditions where night sights would be needed?
I have them on my carry gun but are they really necessary? I had them put on because everyone had them and recommended I get some. I don't think there's been any time that I've been in total darkness or in extreme low light conditions. Isn't that what a flashlight is for? Your thoughts..
Only you can answer that. Why don't you try aiming at something dark, in the same low light you would have if awaked from a deep sleep, or when crossing a dark parking lot? See if you can get a sight picture with ease.

If not, you might want different sights.

Remember, self defense isn't bullseye shooting. Conditions are seldom right for a good aimed shot, but the right equipment can make it easier.

Kevin

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Statistically speaking, most home invasions still come in the night. My carry weapon is on the table by the bed & I can put my feet on the floor & my hand on the gun w/ my eyes closed. Yes I practice that & teach it too. Even so the tiny green spost are a great reference point in the dark. They make me able to put my hand on the grips in almost a perfect draw grip evenin the dead dark. Flashlights are great if yo have a good LED that you can suddenly blind a BG with by sudden ON. A regular flashlight, on, walking down a dark hall, :roll: :roll: Might as well be loud counting 1,2,3, here I come ready or not. I shoot enough that I down a home hall (30 ft) or across a room (half that) If I can iD a target as BG I can make a personal defense hit with one hand point & shoot if necessary. Even so the little green dots are, again, good reference points. I would not be w/o them.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I have shot some low light IDPA matches, and the difference is significant.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Low light encounters are extremely common. I forget the statistics, but I believe they are more common that regular-light encounters.

Night sights are nice, but just because you can see your sights....it doesn't mean you can see what you're aiming at. You need to be able to see what you're aiming at. You don't want to shoot your kid or family member or buddy cause you thought that they were someone else.

One of my buddy's got some night sights on his Glock because his buddy at the FBI had night sights. He found they work great for seeing his sights in the dark, but he can't see anything else... so in the end they're not that useful to him.

A flashlight is better than night sights. You can ID your target. You can also use it to search. And you can use it for a million other things. I believe a flashlight is essential equipment. Night sights are a 'nice to have'.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Threat, or "target identification" to me is the priority...

I don't think its a good idea to shoot at something or someone in a "real" situation without having a really good idea what or whom it is...

I will know, with sufficient time to spare, what I am going to do in most
situations...

I got a couple of dogs that are the best alarm clocks, and alarms for that matter, that sound off at the most appropriate, and in-appropriate times...

If I hear or feel that it is more than a squirrel running across the roof...Well...

Therefore, I will have time to grab the home defense pistol on the nightstand (with the nifty mini Q-Beam flashlight), position myself where I know I have the advantage, and have Wife Unit on the phone (under cover) calling the calvary...

So having a night sight modification done to any of my firearms has not been too much of a need for me so far...

But if its something you really want to invest in, and from what I have seen they aren't too expensive, I'd go for it...I think it would help in certain situations...

You guys got me going now...I'm going to my "store" to oooo, and ahhhh for a while before lunch...

And thinking I wanted to do something else on my day off... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Paladin wrote:Low light encounters are extremely common. I forget the statistics, but I believe they are more common that regular-light encounters.

Night sights are nice, but just because you can see your sights....it doesn't mean you can see what you're aiming at. You need to be able to see what you're aiming at. You don't want to shoot your kid or family member or buddy cause you thought that they were someone else.

One of my buddy's got some night sights on his Glock because his buddy at the FBI had night sights. He found they work great for seeing his sights in the dark, but he can't see anything else... so in the end they're not that useful to him.

A flashlight is better than night sights. You can ID your target. You can also use it to search. And you can use it for a million other things. I believe a flashlight is essential equipment. Night sights are a 'nice to have'.
Bingo!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

For me night sights are more of a beacon (hey you're gun is HERE) than a sighting device. In a SD defense encounter I would imagine I'm not going to have a sight picture, its going to muscle memory, but I like seeign glowing dots....its reassuring...and kind of cool.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
HT

Post by HT »

Good point guys. I'll hang tight for more comments.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I agree with the flashlight theory. I do have night sights on my night stand gun (G17) but don't have a night bead on my shotgun :lol: ....For the most part I have to agree with Nick, I can easily locate my handgun in the dark if it were to get moved around! Plus......the night sights really look cool when you open your safe door! I do not think they are very practical, but is a great deal of the collecting we do practical? In my opinion it isn't, but I sure love it!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Also - aren't guns considered a tool for self defense? Couldn't night sights be considered the same? A tool...useful for locating the sight posts at night. The sight posts happen to be in a fixed location so you CAN locate the gun with them...among other things.

Just another way I'm thinking about this...

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my night sights are only visible from behind the gun. I do use one of several very bright flashlights, Streamlights or Z2 Combatlights, but the house is pretty bright inside if your eyes are accustomed, so I might try for the blinding effect of the very bright light.

OTOH, my night gun has the laser on it too. :lol:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Paladin wrote: One of my buddy's got some night sights on his Glock because his buddy at the FBI had night sights. He found they work great for seeing his sights in the dark, but he can't see anything else... so in the end they're not that useful to him.

A flashlight is better than night sights. You can ID your target. I believe a flashlight is essential equipment. Night sights are a 'nice to have'.
(I edited Paladin's original post...sorry Paladin)

I agree 100%! The comments above is why I do not worry myself with night sights, because I really should be using a flashlight to ID the target anyway. I'm not too worried about giving away my position to a potential BG (I'm not a SWAT officer, I'm just an average "Joe"), but if you cannot positively ID your target you should not pull the trigger. Very good point, Paladin, about night sights allowing you to see the sights in the dark, not your target. I have nothing against night sights, I just don't want to fork over $100 or more when I can get a good flashlight for $30. Yeah I know, I'm cheap.

JLaw

John

Post by John »

This is interesting and is making me re-think night sights. I never considered that they could be a source or cause of tunnel vision at night. That’s a scary realization and worth considering. I do keep a flash light on the night stand though.
JohnC

sensei

Post by sensei »

It's hard enough to get your gun out and on target without juggling a flashlight. Try that with someone attacking you from about 21' away. Then give them a knife or a baseball bat or a gun. A flashlight will be the last thing on your mind.

I have set up situations in dim light, low light, and no light. I have tried them with flashlights and without flashlights.

I can't spreak for anyone else, but for me I will not carry a self defense weapon without night sights.

I know I'm not as practiced as some of you. I'm just not good enough to complicate things. I need to keep things as simple as possible.

Ray

I re-read this and wanted to add: I am not anti-flashlight. I have them all over the house and in all my vehicles. I just don't depend on them.
Last edited by sensei on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”