How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

Whinning Time Again!!!!!

Post by jbenat »

Today is day 80!!!! Just checked DPS Online Service & guess what? I"M STILL PROCESSING APPLICATION!!! :mad: It wouldn't be so bad if wife unit (txbell on this forum) didn't get her's back in just 54 days. She's had hers for about a month now. Carrying is old hat to her now while I skulk around the house wearing my pistol in "play like mode". I'm beginning to feel a little silly. The good news is I have now memorized my drivers lisence number. Do you guys think I should call them or just sit and simmer? :???:

Excuse all the exclamation marks and bold print. It's just to show my frustration!!!!!!!!!!

gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Whinning Time Again!!!!!

Post by gigag04 »

jbenat wrote:Today is day 80!!!! Just checked DPS Online Service & guess what? I"M STILL PROCESSING APPLICATION!!! :mad: It wouldn't be so bad if wife unit (txbell on this forum) didn't get her's back in just 54 days. She's had hers for about a month now. Carrying is old hat to her now while I skulk around the house wearing my pistol in "play like mode". I'm beginning to feel a little silly. The good news is I have now memorized my drivers lisence number. Do you guys think I should call them or just sit and simmer? :???:

Excuse all the exclamation marks and bold print. It's just to show my frustration!!!!!!!!!!
DEFINATELY call them
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

dubya
Posts in topic: 17

Post by dubya »

My license came in the mail 3/22/2006 (showing "issued" on the DPS website 3/17), application received by DPS 1/9/2006 (completed online last week of 12/2005). Mine was almost 70 days in when I called and found it was sitting assigned to someone on vacation. I was lucky enough to have gotten someone on the phone who got it done that day. She really went to work on it noticing it was over 60 days. I won't put her name in the forum but she made all the difference and saying I appreciate her efforts goes without saying.

jbenat, have you called recently? After 60 days I would certainly call weekly perhaps asking if there is something you need to do. We have no way of knowing what goes on in that office but it can only help.

Reysc, where are you in the process now? Good luck to all with the luck of the draw and getting a quick completion.

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

Hey there, Dubya and congrats.... :grin: :grin: Yes, mine has been on PROCESSING APPLICATION since the 15th of March!!

xHypex
Posts in topic: 5

Post by xHypex »

My packet was delivered on February 22, and I just got my pin today 3/24. The letter was dated 3/22, so exactly 30 days later I got my PIN.

Now I get to wait with the rest of you :smile:
-hype
Last edited by xHypex on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Flatland2D »

Just wanted to drop in and say hello to all in "the waiting room". I'm currently on day 50. Almost time to start calling in I suppose. Still says "processing application". I'd love to have my CHL by day 58... that'd make a wonderful birthday present! For about the last week I've been checking the status online almost daily. I'll let everyone know when it changes.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Flatland2D, Welcome to the "waiting room"...Actually, I find this section a good place to initially bond....Mine is still on the processing stage.. Mailed Packet 13th of February and went to Processing Application 15th of March. Hope to get it by Tax Day!!!

jbenat

Hope You Have Better Luck Than Me

Post by jbenat »

Such optimism Reysc & Flatland. I'm on day 85 today. As mentioned on previous posts, my wife & I sent packets on 01/02/2006. She got hers on 3/25/2006 (about 54 days) and I'm still "processing Application".

I've called 3 times just to be directed to someone named Sara. Got message that she was away from her desk or on the other line each time. Left message each time requesting a return call. No return call.

Today they will know who I am. I will keep calling until I talk to someone. :evil:

Good luck guys. Welcome to the waiting room.

barres
Posts in topic: 27

March 13, a day that will live in infamy

Post by barres »

Okay, so it was actually a great day!

My second son, Joshua was born at 2:38 PM, about 3 hours after my application was delivered and signed for. The countdown has begun. Day 60 will be May 12. Hopefully I will have my license by Mother's Day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Jbenat, I feel your frustrations and goodluck with dealing with the Austin people. I don't understand how the processing works!!!I think you're getting close to the "waiting room" record w/ 85 days and counting. Take care!!

rodnocker1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rodnocker1 »

Mine ended up taking around 4 months. I mailed it in on 10/18/04. They sat on it the first 30 days and then started processing it. At just under 2 months, I received a letter stating that sun glasses were not allowed. (1) I never saw anything in the requirements about having to clearly see your eyes and I would think that someone who takes CHL photos would know this. (2) the glasses I was wearing in the photo were my regular glasses, which have a photogray treatment, and are the ones I would be wearing if stopped by an LEO. I went down the next day and had new photos taken with clear lenses, still too much glare. I also had them take a set with no glasses. When I arrived home, I called CHL office up about the clear lenses having too much glare to see my eyes and they said they would rather no glasses at all. Sent them the new photos. A month later and still no license. I called them again and talked with someone who told me my license was in final processing. A week later and still nothing. Called again and the lady said she would make sure it went out that day. All in all, just under twice the time stated that it would take. So don't get too discouraged J, at least it is "processing" and not "DENIED".
Rodney

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Hope You Have Better Luck Than Me

Post by Flatland2D »

jbenat wrote:Such optimism Reysc & Flatland. I'm on day 85 today. As mentioned on previous posts, my wife & I sent packets on 01/02/2006. She got hers on 3/25/2006 (about 54 days) and I'm still "processing Application".

I've called 3 times just to be directed to someone named Sara. Got message that she was away from her desk or on the other line each time. Left message each time requesting a return call. No return call.

Today they will know who I am. I will keep calling until I talk to someone. :evil:

Good luck guys. Welcome to the waiting room.
Ouch, I hope I don't come anywhere close to that. I called in just now and got to speak with a person. I was told they were waiting on more paperwork to come in and they had no idea how long that would take. I'm kind of doubtful now that it will come by my birthday. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep calling them every few days until I get it issued. Don't mind irritating a few DPS employees, it's their job to deal with people like me. Also, it only took about 10 minutes on hold to get with a real person.

sdmahr
Posts in topic: 10

Newbie....and waiting !

Post by sdmahr »

Well, figured I'd go ahead and chime-in here in the "waiting room" with the rest of you. I moved to Texas in July, been lurking here for a while as a guest, and have been a CHL in two other fine states and I have never seen the misery DPS puts us through ! ! In both of the other states, one was 3 weeks, the other 4 weeks. These times were consistent for all applicants. In one state the County Sheriff was responsible for issuing the permits, the State Police in the other. Seems to me as long as Texas has had CHL's, the process would be more "efficient".

Seeing my last issuing state has no agreement with Texas regarding sharing CHL's, I've been without since July. I do take some comfort in being able to have my weapon(s) with me when traveling in the vehicle though.

DPS recieved my packet February 1st....today it's still Processing.

Good to meet ya'll. Hope to see you at any of the fine ranges ! !

Scott
Packing...I refuse to be a VICTIM.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome Scott; I hope your time in the "waiting room" isn't too long.

Regards,
Chas.

jbenat

It's whinning time again!!!!

Post by jbenat »

86 days into the processing! :evil: Today I called DPS & actually talked to someone. Found out that the person who is supposed to be processing my application has been "OUT FOR A WHILE" but she is back now. The person I talked to was very nice & said she would pass my message on & if I didn't get a call today to call her tomorrow. :cry:

Maybe, just maybe, something will happen now. :???:

Samurai saying: "After a victory is the time you should tighten your helmet straps"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”