Weight Loss thread....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
melkor41
Posts in topic: 26

Re: Weight Loss thread....

Post by melkor41 »

If you keep loosing 40 then gaining 20 you will win as long as you keep loosing more than you gain back :lol: Welcome to the thread and I hope we can help you in your battle.

Scale today says 265.6

I went to the store last night and got the stuff to start cooking. I have a load of laundry going as soon as thats done I will fire up the stove and get to cooking (my master breaker doesnt like the stove and dryer to be on at the same time,and the apt wont fix it :grumble )

I need to clean my apt today, all that bending over and picking up stuff is always a good workout. :hurry:

I hope everyone is keeping with their plans for the weekend, it can be evil being home with a fridge of food right there. :reddevil
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

chewy555
Posts in topic: 6

Post by chewy555 »

I have been drinking more water as of late.
At work today, we had a power test. The elevators were not all working all of the time. I am a security officer at a hospital. I got a call on the 7th floor and had to take the stairs to get to the call. Let me tell you, I was blowing hard by the time that I got to the 4th floor from the 1st floor. I made it all the way up to the 7th floor, and did not fall over from not being able to breath. Do I want to do that again today, no. But it showed me something that I need to work on. As of right now, the elevators are all working.
I am going to try to take the stairs more if its only 2 floors that I have to go up. And will work on doing more.
I have not checked my weight in a few weeks, but I might try to later this week.

Hope that all have a great week. Keep up the good work everyone.
H&K USP 45
Taurus Tracker .357
Taurus 1911

Topic author
melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

I did not get a chance to step on the scale this morning, forgot to turn back on my alarm so i was in rush mode. I did get to cook up some food sunday night but not very much due to the power going off over and over again. Something is wrong with the water heater in my apt and if its trying to heat water it blows the main breaker if i run any other "big ticket" item in the apt. (stove, dish washer, AC, etc).

Ate one of my cooked meals for breakfast this morning, but grabbed a frozen for lunch. I feel good, just gotta stick with it.

Tonnight I plan to work myself at class until I cant feel my arms or legs. I need to stop restraining myself. I spend a lot of time focusing on the other students to help correct them and not as much focusing on my own workout.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

tarbe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tarbe »

Hey guys

I think this thread is a great idea. It can be pretty discouraging trying to lose weight...we can all use some encouragement and helpful tips.

I am 50 and have inherited a propensity to gain weight (like most it seems). I have found that for me, the only way I can control my weight is with exercise. I just plain like to eat way too much for my own good. I think I would rather be fat than not be able to chow down now and then.

I hate the hot humid weather and prefer not to compete with cars for space on the road, so I have a treadmill in the house. I crank the incline to 12%, put on a 25 pound pack, and hoof. I usually do about 20 miles per week...did 30 last week.

With that sort of calorie burn, I can pretty much eat like a 30 year old and still maintain my weight. Relatively low impact, the weather is always good inside the house, the TV entertains me (I did 6 miles Saturday watching a DVD and it passed like nothing) and that darn treadmill stares at me if I don't use it for a couple days! I have a routine of doing my exercise right after work and before dinner. I think all the water I drink during and after my workout helps with the appetite come dinner time, too.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. I hope everyone finds a routine that they can live with, that will make a difference! Just remember, if it is too much of a grind, you won't be able to maintain it for the long haul.

Good luck!

Tim
Semper Fi!

Topic author
melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

good idea, i have a treadmil and a weight vest, but i usualy only use the vest for sparring drills or pushup/situps when im feeling rather masochistic. I should start jogging on the treadmil while watching a movie, my problem with the treadmil has always been boredom making a short time seem longer than it is. Perhaps the movie will distract me.

266.0, up a tad, im sure its some sort of water retention or something or other, i have not increased my intake. I had a few tiny upswings last time i did the weight loss thing and they always went back down below what they were.

I did not get to workout however last night due to disk network screwing up a simple receiver swap for the 2nd time in a row, now i have to wait for a 3rd tech.between 12 to 5pm ends up 8:30pm and the guy brings a defective receiver, and no spares on the truck. I have been a loyal customer with no issues to complain about since 2003 but this one is getting me angry. This next one is supposed to be a field supervisor. :mad5

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Before I broke my leg I was walking 3-4 miles a day, determined to mend my ways for good. I had decided I wanted to get healthy to be here for my grandson and retirement.

Typically, when I re-start my exercise routines I never lose weight at first, I always gain. I figure I am building muscle mass because my clothes start fitting better.

SWince the accident I have lost weight while on crutches and have determined that:

1. I have lost muscle mass due to my leg losing muscle until I can start walking on it.
2. I have not had a diet soda since Feb. 17 when I flew to Canada. I drink water or Mrs. Anygun's tea which is a mix of teas including green. Milk too, Sanalac instant. No fat and good for me.
3. I do not get up and make my way to the pantry or reefer to snack. Mrs. Anygun either ignores me for awhile when I say I am hungry or brings me some twigs and leaves with fruit.
4. She hid my Jack Daniels upstairs.

I too am a yo-yo dieter. Travel was horrible for my weight and is one of the main reasons I am staying at home now.

I dropped from 250 lbs when I fell to 229 last weekend. Not certain how much lean I lost because crutches do workout the upper body. Mrs. Anygun always asks me to go grocery shopping with her. She looks at me with those hazel eyes and I wind up exhausted after chasing her around our local H.E. Butt store.

Our breakfasts are fruit smoothies, fortified with protein and yogurt or powdered milk. Look into the Vitamix line of blenders. They are expensive but well worth the cost as they are commercial grade. We use ours every day. Seedless watermelon makes a dandy smoothie base.

Once I am walking again I will be even better situated to drop more weight.

If you take supplements, make certain that what you are taking is not contributing to your weight. I was taking GNC DHEA for men over 40. It has a bunch of herbs in it. It is one of those handfull of pills routines. When I broke my leg I stopped taking them for the surgery and all. I restarted about three weeks ago and immediately put on 6-7 lbs. I stopped them and dropped back to where Iam now.

I am just taking a multivitamin now with extra D for the bones.

This is a great thread.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

BobH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BobH »

My only advice is to be able to not work out, eat, and not gain weight. Once you have figured out where you need to be to "mantain", you can more easily be mentally aware of the diet you need to lose weight. Then when you throw working out on top of it, you're good to go. Good luck, i'm currently at 15lbs lost and moving foward.

Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Well. I ditched the peanut butter crackers and chocolate chip granola bars in the office. I replaced them with apples and carrot sticks. I also replenished the bottled water supply and got rid of all soft drinks. I've got a bunch of tuna for lunches. I'm cutting down on the client lunches also. Maybe I'll start scheduling my visits for after lunch instead. Still riding the bike. I try to ride every day at least down to the nearby park and back which is a mile. If I have time, I take a longer ride.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

Topic author
melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:Well. I ditched the peanut butter crackers and chocolate chip granola bars in the office. I replaced them with apples and carrot sticks. I also replenished the bottled water supply and got rid of all soft drinks. I've got a bunch of tuna for lunches. I'm cutting down on the client lunches also. Maybe I'll start scheduling my visits for after lunch instead. Still riding the bike. I try to ride every day at least down to the nearby park and back which is a mile. If I have time, I take a longer ride.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

saj111
Posts in topic: 3

Post by saj111 »

good topic.
my wife and i started last august on the south beach diet. easiest diet to stick with i've ever tried. i dropped fifty-two pounds in seven months without serious cravings (well except chuy's tex-mex, but i resisted except as a treat.)
this diet makes a lot of sense and changes the way you eat without making you count calories. get the book and read it.
my blood sugar is down (never a problem) my cholesterol is down and i have more energy.
btw; i'm reading now that up and down weight may be more harmful than a little extra weight. from the experts (said with a snicker.)
wish all of you well in this.
"we've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over!"

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbirds1210 »

saj111 wrote:good topic.
my wife and i started last august on the south beach diet. easiest diet to stick with i've ever tried. i dropped fifty-two pounds in seven months without serious cravings (well except chuy's tex-mex, but i resisted except as a treat.)
this diet makes a lot of sense and changes the way you eat without making you count calories. get the book and read it.
my blood sugar is down (never a problem) my cholesterol is down and i have more energy.
btw; i'm reading now that up and down weight may be more harmful than a little extra weight. from the experts (said with a snicker.)
wish all of you well in this.
I agree completely. I have been using a modified verison of the South Beach Diet for the last several months and really like it. I eat a lot of food...and lose weight. I do exercise five days a week.

For the record, I started out my mission at 292 pounds and rising.....I am typing this at 205 pounds and almost as strong as my teen years. I decided I did not want to die.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

saj111
Posts in topic: 3

Post by saj111 »

jbirds, way to go! those are excellent results. keep it up; it encourages the rest of us.
"we've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over!"

dukesean
Posts in topic: 16

Post by dukesean »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:Well. I ditched the peanut butter crackers and chocolate chip granola bars in the office. I replaced them with apples and carrot sticks. I also replenished the bottled water supply and got rid of all soft drinks. I've got a bunch of tuna for lunches. I'm cutting down on the client lunches also. Maybe I'll start scheduling my visits for after lunch instead. Still riding the bike. I try to ride every day at least down to the nearby park and back which is a mile. If I have time, I take a longer ride.
Just a word of advice, be wary of tuna SALAD. Tuna/dolphin is great, but don't make it into a tuna salad sandwich. All that mayo is just loaded with fat.

Has anyone ever tried to "reverse" their meals? In other words, have cereal for dinner? Sometimes when I'm too lazy to cook I'll just grab a bowl of high fiber cereal for dinner. Fills me up (thank you fiber) and is low in fat and calories. I couldn't do this every day mind you, but it's a lot better than grabbing fast food and eating it before you go to bed.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Mrs. Anygun makes my tuna salad occaisionally and mixes it up with jalapenos and other stuff. Really good. Low-cal mayo. Mustard is a freebie.

I really love tuna and can hardly let a day pass without my serving of heavy metals.

Instead of the small cans she buys me the Chicken of the Sea Tuna Cups. 80 calories of almost pure protein and the taste beats the canned stuff hands down. The cup says "dolphin safe", but no one cries for the fish. Try the small cans of salmon for a break.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

Those are the goals I am trying to reach myself... to see a fellow forum guy do it gives me renewed hope and is exactly what i was wishing this thread will do, perhaps this will end up one of the great epic threads on here.

Update from yesterday..

I was a baaaad bad boy.... :cryin

had a day from heck yesterday at work. I didnt get to eat my lunch until 4:30 and i was running around trying to get to altex electronics and back for this emergancy i was trying to fix. I stoppped by taco bell and grabbed 3 of their 79c burritos :oops:

I went home so stressed that i did not go to class, i finished off a bottle of vodka and played grand theft auto IV.

Stepped on the scale this morning and to my surprise i didnt do to bad. 265.2 down from yesterday so i guess its a victory.

I did pushups this morning with my feet on the bathtub until I could not feel my arms anymore. Got my heart racing and woke me up better than any caffene could.

My mother had the south beach diet book, I emailed her asking if i could borrow it.

Return to “Off-Topic”