SmartCarry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 2

SmartCarry

Post by stash »

I have been thinking of getting one of these as an alternate way to carry. Would anyone who uses or has used the SmartCarry let me know what you think of this method.

Thanks, Stan
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SmartCarry

Post by Commander Cody »

I personally do not like the Smart Carry. I purchased one a while back and wore it around the house for a few days. I found that my gun was not as easily accessible as I like. It also made my inner thighs sore from rubbing. The toilet is not easy either as they advertise. I’m sure you will get more responses. Just my opinion.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

shaggydog

Post by shaggydog »

I have been using one, with a variety of guns, for a couple of years and like it very much.

It is however, primarily a “deep concealment� method of carry i.e. the weapon is not going to be as readily accessible as it would be with a conventional holster.

I use it because my normal daily wear consists of docker style pants and a knit golf shirt. The SmartCarry allows me to carry my G30 completely undetected.

When I am able to revert to very casual, “shirt out� clothing, I go with an conventional IWB holster.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

A review, some comments, and a picture here: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 8&p=177675

I have one I use only occasionally, for deep-cover assignments...dangerous missions like extended family get-togethers where there will be a lot of hugging of cousins and cousins' wives. So durability isn't an issue for me 'cause I use it only 6-8 times per year. Even then, I don't carry anything larger than a Kahr PM9 plus a spare mag in it.

I like it fine for that purpose, but I agree with Commander Cody that the gun is far less accessible--and less reliably accessible--than traditional IWB or OWB carry. I think there's probably a belly-size limit to quick access, and if you wear a tucked-in shirt (which to me is kinda the point with a hidden rig like this), there are a lot of moving parts to the draw motion (and after your hand is on the gun, the muzzle will absolutely point at some part of your body during the presentation). With practice it can be done pretty efficiently, but it'll never be as fast or secure as a good IWB on the hip.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

kitty

Post by kitty »

I bought one and just sent it back. It bulged way too much, and I bought it hoping it would alleviate the bulge I was having with my IWB, but it just made it worse a lot worse. Of course, I'm a woman, with a slightly protruding lower abdomen from having children, but still.... :roll: I'm just going to stick with my IWB while I look for one with a smaller belt clip, and I may get a smaller gun, not caliber, just a smaller gun.

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

I have one and use it when I can't carry IWB. Like Skiprr said, it's great for crowded 'huggie' activities where the wrong person putting a hand on your gun could cause some problems. Mine is comfortable enough to wear all day with a compact gun and spare magazine. Drawing is slower and I would recommend using a 'stall' EVERY time you use a public restroom (you should do that anyway). BUT, having a gun that is a little harder to get to is much better than not having a gun at all.

FWIW: I went to a concert one time wearing a SmartCarry. I was stopped at the entrance and asked to lift my untucked shirt and empty my pockets for security. I had a tiny 1-1/4" folding knife on my keychain. I had to give it up to get in. Nobody detected the SmartCarry. So, I went in with a 9mm and 26 rounds of ammo but no knife.

Everyone needs a SmartCarry, OE.........., ;-)
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

DoubleActionCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

I'm not sure I'd want a gun 'right there'. During those 'deep cover' assignments, such as family get-togethers, I don't want Aunt Ruth giving me a big hug, feeling my concealed weapon and getting the wrong idea... ICK! Secondly, I'd have to buy new pants with a little more room in the front.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

DoubleActionCHL wrote:I'm not sure I'd want a gun 'right there'. During those 'deep cover' assignments, such as family get-togethers, I don't want Aunt Ruth giving me a big hug, feeling my concealed weapon and getting the wrong idea... ICK!
Um...I wouldn't want to get quite that close to Aunt Ruth, even when I'm hugging her. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

austin-tatious

Post by austin-tatious »

+1 on using it for the family hug fests. I can't imagine getting a hug from anyone except my wife where there is a risk it could be detected by a family member, much less mistaken for something else. I use it a lot, because the bulge with my XD40sc worn IWB is a little too obvious, being I am slender with a 33 inch waist. Basically, I'm not comfortable with the IWB unless I have a coat or untucked shirt.

It works for jeans just as well as slacks or shorts (pleated fronts are best), but the slacks that are thin material are more likely to show the butt of the gun. It works best for me when I have the stitching between the magazine side and the gun side dead center, so the gun muzzle is just to the right, and the magazine is just to the left of those parts I could not live without. I make sure to get the end of the muzzle down low enough so standing or sitting a ND would not hit those parts nor be likely to hit anyone else.

DoubleActionCHL

Skiprr wrote:
DoubleActionCHL wrote:I'm not sure I'd want a gun 'right there'. During those 'deep cover' assignments, such as family get-togethers, I don't want Aunt Ruth giving me a big hug, feeling my concealed weapon and getting the wrong idea... ICK!
Um...I wouldn't want to get quite that close to Aunt Ruth, even when I'm hugging her. ;-)
Obviously, you haven't met Aunt Ruth! :smilelol5:

Houston, Texas

--Me

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I couldn't imagine wearing a rig like that. Ditto for Thunderwear.

As for family hug fests, if someone finds the gun they find the gun. If they don't like it it's too bad. Maybe I will raise their consciousness that day. Or if they bother me too much, one of us will leave, depending on who's house we're at.

If I want or need really deep cover on any given day, I just throw my (holstered) Keltec P32 in my front pocket and I'm good to go.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

DoubleActionCHL

frankie_the_yankee wrote:I couldn't imagine wearing a rig like that. Ditto for Thunderwear.

As for family hug fests, if someone finds the gun they find the gun. If they don't like it it's too bad. Maybe I will raise their consciousness that day. Or if they bother me too much, one of us will leave, depending on who's house we're at.

If I want or need really deep cover on any given day, I just throw my (holstered) Keltec P32 in my front pocket and I'm good to go.
I haven't had any problems with family or friends. The ones who are aware that I carry are comfortable with it; most either carry or are in the "some day I'm gonna get my CHL" group. The rest don't know and I plan to keep it that way. Either way, it doesn't have to be a source of an argument. I'll just take my pot roast and go home!
:anamatedbanana

Houston, Texas

--Me

JoshL

Post by JoshL »

03Lightningrocks wrote:The first time I saw this I thought you folks were joking. This thing really exists!!! It seems this would get uncomfortable. I'm not sure I would want my weapon pressing on my "gun" all day long. Anyone here used one of these for any length of time yet? Isn't sitting down a challenge with the weapon putting downward pressure on the "gun"?
I carry a Bersa .380 in a Smart Carry at least 10 hours/day, 5 days a week. I work at an office job where I am sitting most of the day, and I don't find it uncomfortable. I have to maintain deep concealment, due to company policy, and I have found the SmartCarry to be the best concealment method for me. I have used the Smartcarry under a variety of clothing, from slacks to jeans to khakis, and I have even gone jogging with it under some mesh shorts.

Picking a holster is a personal preference. Some will like it, some won't. I happen to like mine a use it a lot.

Just my .02 :seeya:

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

JoshL wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:The first time I saw this I thought you folks were joking. This thing really exists!!! It seems this would get uncomfortable. I'm not sure I would want my weapon pressing on my "gun" all day long. Anyone here used one of these for any length of time yet? Isn't sitting down a challenge with the weapon putting downward pressure on the "gun"?
I carry a Bersa .380 in a Smart Carry at least 10 hours/day, 5 days a week. I work at an office job where I am sitting most of the day, and I don't find it uncomfortable. I have to maintain deep concealment, due to company policy, and I have found the SmartCarry to be the best concealment method for me. I have used the Smartcarry under a variety of clothing, from slacks to jeans to khakis, and I have even gone jogging with it under some mesh shorts.

Picking a holster is a personal preference. Some will like it, some won't. I happen to like mine a use it a lot.

Just my .02 :seeya:
Thanks for the feedback. I have some of the same issues with carrying as you mentioned. Does the smart carry ride against the groin? Second...How do you draw it? Do you undo your pants? I'm not sure what the BG will think if he shows aggression and I start undoing my trousers.

Plato

Post by Plato »

Like others have said, smartcarry is a holster that fits certain situations but may not be perfect for everyone. Many factors go into how you'll do with it such as -your body shape, clothing options, daily activities, what size handgun ya got.

I've used smartcarry for many years and it serves its purpose as deep concealment. I've carried a Glock 27 in smartcarry on 10 hour days, sometimes doing "hard work" sometimes riding a motorcycle. And while I also use a standard IWB holster quite often, I'm more comfortable using smartcarry when doing vigorious activities. Some of those activities are such that its either smartcarry or go unarmed.

BTW, the way I draw with smartcarry is slip the left thumb in to the waisteline to give a bit of space to then slip the right hand down the acquire the butt of the pistol (trigger finger straight, obviously -if you can't follow that rule, sell the darn guns folks). I could do this move sitting but obviously its easier when standing, and while I'd give a slight edge to IWB on the draw -when dressing casual I'd say I tend to forget I've got smartcarry on at all which is something I've never felt with an IWB holster.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”