How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

My "Ides of March" breaking news... Checked the Dps site this morning and my status has changed from "PACKET SENT TO APPLICANT" to "PROCESSING".... At least 30 more days if I'm lucky!! I mailed my packet Feb 13th and they started processing March 15th.. Right at 30 days. Ya'll have a great day??? Now, what do you do when you get your CHL and all the waiting excitement is over .. LOL!!! I bet this is one of the most exciting part of being a CHL holder !?!.. Wish one day I can express myself w/ emoticons.. ;-) ;-) ;-) ..

dave_in_austin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dave_in_austin »

Renewal took 61 days from the day the DPS received the packet to the day they mailed the card for both my wife and me. Nine days elapsed between the time they told me that they had received the license and it was ready to mail and the day they actually mailed it. I guess that they really have no motivation to try to comply with the 45 day requirement.

dubya
Posts in topic: 17

Post by dubya »

"Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

How nice it sounds. At 70 days+, I can say, yes, applications fall in holes in the process and there are considerate, concerned workers in the office that will help you (800.224.5744). Once you hit 60 days it makes sense to call (and/or e-mail) asking for help (or if you need to do anything to help). I can't say much helps under 60 days; it's just luck of the draw.

I can tell you one thing with certainty. If I had not had the feedback this forum provides my application would be sitting in a pile, unnoticed, right now. So, thanks to the "forum master" and the contributors including jbenat, Geopagus, and aggie dad. I wish my application had not ran 70+ but I feel without this forum it could have ran as much as 60+120 (additional information requests for an application can add 120 days). And, thanks to the DPS worker who rounded mine up and "got it done."

KUDOS to TEXASCHLFORUM.COM !
Last edited by dubya on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Congrats, Dubya!!! Now were are you gonna hang-out on this site..LOL!! I agree this site is a big help!!! Well, see you around!!

remington79
Posts in topic: 4

Its here

Post by remington79 »

Well I looked in my mailbox when I got off of work today and my CHL is finally here. I sent the packet off on Feb 5. 42 days.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

It's funny: according to the website, they "accpeted" my license within the 60 day time limit, but as of today, they are officially over the 60 day time limit, as I have not received my CHL in the mail yet. :evil:

I think I shall bother them on monday unless I happen to get it tomorrow. Figures I got excited too soon :D
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Well Congrats Remington 79!!!! I mailed my packet a week after yours!!! I doubt ( but hoping) that mine will come in a week!!!!LOL..

remington79
Posts in topic: 4

Thank you

Post by remington79 »

Thanks Reysc. This was a new license for me. I was surprised at how quick it took. I was expecting 60 business days. Hopefully yours will come in soon.

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

Congratulations to you guys! There is much to be learned and rules adhered to. dubya, your right, this forum has MUCH to offer (so everyone, remember to not only take information, but be proactive in sharing it as well, so that we may all continue to learn).

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Mine is also a new license, Remington 79...Just like ya'll, I will try to post any and all developments as we go thru the waiting process for the info/benefit of all..

TxFire
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TxFire »

Woo Hoo! It came in the mail yesterday. So I am now properly dressed for the party. DPS recieved my application on 1/11/06 and my license was approved on 3/13/06 and recieved by me on 3/17/06.

cxm
Posts in topic: 2

Got My Renewal

Post by cxm »

Just got my renewal back... exactly 42 days after it got to Austin... pretty good I'd say.

Of course Marion handles instructors CHLs herself...may have helped.

FWIW

Chuck
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

From mailbox to mailbox: 61 days. Got my CHL this afternoon. I'm a happy boy.

I'll also have you know that I did NOT go to wal-mart first thing when I got it:D
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

TxFire
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TxFire »

Well I did not go to Wal Mart first thing but I was there this evening, and armed as well. :lol:

nemesis
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nemesis »

63 Days for renewal last May.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”