Seminar: Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Do you prefer a Friday evening or Saturday afternoon seminar?

Friday evening (6:30pm to 9:00 pm)
21%
Saturday afternoon (Time to be determined)
51%
Either day is fine
28%

Total votes: 47

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Seminar: Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have received a number of reservation emails and I will send confirmations later today. An article is also going to be in the PSC newsletter, so let me know ASAP if you want a reserve a seat. When the newsletter hits our members' mailboxes, it will fill up quickly!

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

TIME CHANGE -- Please Note

The time for the Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Law Seminar has changed. It will still be on Saturday, June 7th at PSC, but the starting time will be 1:30 pm. It usually runs about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. depending on the number of questions I receive.

A group from the PSC Ladies Program are coming, so we're probably going to have a full house. If the shotgun "clubhouse" is available, we may have to move it there.

Chas.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Sign Jim Brown up for a seat, Chas. Is this approved for CLE? ;-)

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

57Coastie wrote:Sign Jim Brown up for a seat, Chas. Is this approved for CLE? ;-)
You've given me an idea! I'll check with the state bar to see what it takes to get it approved. We won't have many/any lawyers, but I can get credit for preparing it!! :smilelol5:

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I have received a number of emails to register for the seminar and we are about half full, but a lot more people have responded to the poll than have registered. I want TexasCHLforum members to have the first shot (no pun attended) at available seats, so please email me as soon as you know if you want to attend.

If we fill up the PSC classroom, I'll move to the PSC Shotgun building, if it is available. (It can accommodate about 65 people.) But I don't know if it is available.

Chas.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
57Coastie wrote:Sign Jim Brown up for a seat, Chas. Is this approved for CLE? ;-)
You've given me an idea! I'll check with the state bar to see what it takes to get it approved. We won't have many/any lawyers, but I can get credit for preparing it!! :smilelol5:

Chas.
If you can get credit for it, go for it. Better than having to sleep through someone else's class. :-)

I turn 73 next year and have been long retired, so it is really moot for me.

Looking forward to being there. The only thing which might hold me back is that several doctors are fighting over my body these days, but I think I can hold them back.

PS I haven't been able to figure out how to send you an email for a reservation, so I hope this will suffice??

Jim

texasmr2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texasmr2 »

57Coastie wrote:PS I haven't been able to figure out how to send you an email for a reservation, so I hope this will suffice??
Jim
Send your RSVP to Charles@TexasShooting.com.
Peace Officer

texasmr2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texasmr2 »

Charles,
I will not be able to attend the meeting tomorrow so you have an extra seat available.

Thank's,
Gregg
Peace Officer

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

This is a reminder that the Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws seminar will be presented today at PSC. The "Blue Building" isn't big enough for everyone registered, so we've moved it to the shotgun clubhouse. Normally, anyone entering the property, whether member or guest, is required to sign in at the Blue Building, but I'll just have a sign-in sheet at the seminar, so don't worry about going to the Blue Building.

If you haven't been to PSC before, it's at 3121 W. Parkwood, Friendswood, TX. You can see a map on www.pscIDPA.com by clicking on the "Map" button. Click on the map for a larger view. The entrance to the shotgun portion of the range is at the stop sign on the gravel entrance road.

BTW, southbound I-45 (Gulf Freeway) traffic can be rough on Saturday with a lot of people going to Galveston, so consider that when deciding when to leave, or what route to take.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at 1:30!
Chas.

legend
Posts in topic: 2

Post by legend »

GREAT seminar, Charles! It was very informative and very well presented!

Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

legend wrote:GREAT seminar, Charles! It was very informative and very well presented!

Thank you for taking the time to do this!
I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words.

Chas.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Charles is being modest. I didn't attend in Austin, but I've been to two of his Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws presentations--three if you count an abbreviated one delivered in conjunction with an NRA course--and it's one reason I think we need to clone him...quickly. ;-)

I have several options close-to-home to take advanced tactical and defensive handgun training, even more if I travel to Thunder Ranch or Gunsite.

But this kind of in-depth discussion on Texas law--its history, personal experience, interpretation, and ramifications--can only be delivered by maybe a handful of people in the world. And additionally Charles brings his experience as an NRA director, NRA and TSRA Legislative Committee member, and trained gunman.

Ever see that commercial that starts (paraphrasing) "Pediatricians who are an only child: 104,506"; "Who want to explore the Southwest with their grandsons: 1,653"; "Who are triplets: 1."

Well, there ya go!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Skiprr wrote:Charles is being modest. I didn't attend in Austin, but I've been to two of his Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws presentations--three if you count an abbreviated one delivered in conjunction with an NRA course--and it's one reason I think we need to clone him...quickly. ;-)

I have several options close-to-home to take advanced tactical and defensive handgun training, even more if I travel to Thunder Ranch or Gunsite.

But this kind of in-depth discussion on Texas law--its history, personal experience, interpretation, and ramifications--can only be delivered by maybe a handful of people in the world. And additionally Charles brings his experience as an NRA director, NRA and TSRA Legislative Committee member, and trained gunman.

Ever see that commercial that starts (paraphrasing) "Pediatricians who are an only child: 104,506"; "Who want to explore the Southwest with their grandsons: 1,653"; "Who are triplets: 1."

Well, there ya go!
If we can't clone him maybe we can get him to make this presentation on a DVD. The matereal he covers is far to important for any CHLer not to be exposed. It might even help him pay for some of the projects that we all know he is excited about.. What about it Charles?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jpierce30

Post by jpierce30 »

The seminar was great!! It would be nice if every Texas CHL holder could attend. It brings a whole new aspect to the laws when they are explained by one of the individuals that help pen them.

Thanks alot Charles.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”