Choice for wife

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
USCGELECTROTECH
Posts in topic: 1

Choice for wife

Post by USCGELECTROTECH »

Hello,
I am farily new to this site, I recently got my CHL and my wife is intrested in getting hers after she gets out of nursing school. I need some advise on a pistol to get her. She does not like Revolvers, and I have taught her on a Glock 17, which she shoots very well. Any help would be apreciated. She is only 5ft 2in so not too big, but she wants at least .40cal.
Thanks,
Andrew
Taurus PT145 MIL PRO (Carry Gun)
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

Wildscar

Re: Choice for wife

Post by Wildscar »

Another person asked a similer question. Might try here :thumbs2:
http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 53&t=15245
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Be very careful choosing a wife, they are real hard to trade or get rid of!

Seriously, welcome aboard! Take her to a range that rents guns and let her shoot them. They may be having some ladies events at PSC or Thunder. Other people would let her try out their guns. Shooting a gun is the best way to tell if you like it.
I took my wife all the way to Austin, because Red's was the only place I could find that had a Kahr for rent. She shot it, she didn't like it, I saved $500! ;-)
My wife didn't like A LOT of guns. I thought a SIG P239 was too heavy to carry. That's the one SHE loves(P239/40s&w). She carries it.
Good Luck, Have Fun, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The blond... no, the brunette.... no wait, the redhead.... no, the blond... no, wait....

:biggrinjester:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The blond... no, the brunette.... no wait, the redhead.... no, the blond... no, wait....
:biggrinjester:
Yeah!! The subject of the post got me thinking before I read a single word.

....cute, nice figure, good cook, smart, rich, totally in love with you, likes guns and shooting, sense of humor, etc. ect. etc......................................
the dream girl
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Back on topic. If you are close enough for your wife to come to PSC the first Saturday of the month (May 3rd is the next one). PSC has a Women's Only class. She would have an opportunity to shoot several different guns and find out what other women chose and why.

Otherwise as I am fund of saying, take her to a gun show. Encourage her to pick up every gun and write down any that feel good. At this point it really doesn't matter about make or caliber just that she likes the way it feels. After she has identified 2-6 guns that she likes then you can start doing your homework: calibers, sizes, and reliabilty issues. SRVA and I have taken a few women to shows and it doesn't take long until a clear winner emerges!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

OverEasy wrote:Be very careful choosing a wife, they are real hard to trade or get rid of!

Seriously, welcome aboard! Take her to a range that rents guns and let her shoot them. They may be having some ladies events at PSC or Thunder. Other people would let her try out their guns. Shooting a gun is the best way to tell if you like it.
I took my wife all the way to Austin, because Red's was the only place I could find that had a Kahr for rent. She shot it, she didn't like it, I saved $500! ;-)
My wife didn't like A LOT of guns. I thought a SIG P239 was too heavy to carry. That's the one SHE loves(P239/40s&w). She carries it.
Good Luck, Have Fun, OE
That is the one thing Red's has going for it. Every Monday is ladies' day, where range fees are half price and all rentals are free (for ladies, of course). You have to pay for ammo (their guns, their ammo), but this will let you try out anything they have available without having to pay rental fees. If you're only looking at .40/.45, you could probably do OK with buying 2 boxes of ammo to try out everything they have in those calibers.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Hardlyangelschl

Post by Hardlyangelschl »

I too, have small hands. I shot several different guns before I found the right one for me. I carry a S&W 9mm M&P and love it! I put the small grips on my gun and it fits like a glove! I also shoot left handed so I had to shop around. I carry my gun everywhere I go! I am a CHL Instructor and I'm a lady, so I talk with women all the time about their carry weapon. My husband bought me a Kimber 45 Ultra Carry and it's a great gun, but I still carry my S&W because I know it, I use it and I'm comfortable with it. I have been working with a new shooter who is planning to get her CHL in June. She has shot several of my guns and for her, it's a Beretta PX4. Your wife may like to try a few before she decides what works for her. I think it's great that your wife is planning to exercise her rights to protect herself and her family. Why is she waiting to get out of school?

Return to “Ladies”