New gun for wifey- quality questions

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 9

New gun for wifey- quality questions

Post by agbullet2k1 »

This is my first real post since joining recently. First I would like to say I’m glad to be here, and I am very excited that people are willing to get together this way to share stories and experience.

My wife and I just finished taking our CHL class, and we’re now looking for something she can carry in a purse safely and easily. She currently has a .38 S&W airweight which I bought her after moving to Texas. She chose a revolver because she was unable to shoot my Glock 27 accurately, and it hurt her hands. During the class, our instructor let her try a Springfield XD subcomp, and she really liked it. Now she wants a semi-auto, because she feels she can be a lot more accurate with it, and she just likes the feel better. I can’t argue that logic.

So now we get to my question. I am a lot more experienced when it comes to guns than she is, but I want the new gun to be her decision. Therefore I want to keep my personal preferences from influencing her (I’m a Walther/Glock/H&K guy). She has looked so far at an S&W MP, the aforementioned Springfield, an H&K P2000SK, and a Walther P99 Compact. I also want her to look at the Beretta PX4 subcomp. She is leaning toward the S&W.

I am not familiar with S&W and Springfield when is comes to semi-autos, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any quality or dependability issues with them. I don’t care about preference or feel so much as practical issues. Will they work if she needs them to as good as/better than the other brands? Also, any thoughts on the other guns mentioned would be appreciated.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New gun for wifey- quality questions

Post by longtooth »

Springfield XD & the Baretta PX4 are in our household. My Mom & Wife both have the BArettas in 9mm. Never a hiccup & quit accurate.

The XD is my Son's gun. His wife shoots it a lot & the both like it. He now carries a 1911 but the XD gets a lot of range time from both of them.

Others will report on the ones they have.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Give her the info, but let her pick it.
Byron Dickens

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Welcome Ag,

Quick question: Did your wife qualify with a semi-auto at her CHL class?

If not, she will not be able to (legally) carry (under the authority of her CHL) a SA if she qualified with a revolver.

Just something to consider before purchasing another weapon.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

She did qualify with a semi for the class, but it was one that the instructor let her borrow. The biggest problems she has with semis in general is loading the magazines and pulling the slide, but I'm sure that will just take practice. Thanks longtooth, we're going to go look at the PX4s today. She saw the picture on beretta's website and I think she fell in love. (Me?? Jealous?? noooo.....)

I'm actually really impressed with how much research she's doing on her own. Even without my help she seems to be leaning toward what I would pick. Thanks all!!
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

All of the pistols that you listed are high quality. Find a range that rents them and let her try them all out before making her decision.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

I have the S&W M&P in 45, 40, and 9. I have the 9 in the compact for carry and bug matches. My compact won the last bug match for me. I love everything about the M&P platform. I have 28,000 through my primary full size M&P 9. I have the IDPA High Lady award in two states because of the M&P.

Now that I have given my rave review for the M&P. Truth is she should pick her own totally on what feels good to her. If you can let her try each of the ones she is interested in. BTW I too, do not like a glock for the same reasons!

agbullet2k1 if you live in the North Houston area I would be happy to meet you and Mrs. agbullet2k1 at Thunder Gun Range and let her shoot the M&Ps. PM me if this will work for you.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Vic303

Post by Vic303 »

Keep in mind that the longer the length of slide, the easier it is usually to rack the slide to chamber a round. This is due to the mass of the slide using a lighter weight spring than a short slide. But mostly I believe she needs to practice technique. It's really not that hard--someone just needs to show her the easier methods for women to use.

If she liked the XD pistols, go let her choose the one she likes best and buy it! Do not wait! Just take her shopping for HER pistol NOW!

Personally I like the comfort factor in a 4" slide vs the 5" on the XD pistols. I find the slightly shorter slide to cause less pressure on my hip IWB. (Remember, us chicks have hips to deal with when IWB carrying!)

As for loading rounds into magazines, just buy her an UPLULA loader from Butlercreek/Maglula folks. Makes loading nearly ALL pistol mags effortless and painless. Seriously. Well worth the cost.

Tell you wife I said congrats on applying for her permit & that this gunchick hopes she picks an XD too! :coolgleamA:

Topic author
agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Thanks everyone!!! Just wanted to let you know that we looked around more, and she seems to have fallen for the PX4 (her decision, I swear). Of course, now I'm itching to get a new one....she can't have all the fun right?
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Scout7507

Post by Scout7507 »

Absolutely!!! The good thing is that she is interested in shooting. My wife loves it! It makes convincing her on additional purchases that much easier.
“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” - Ernest Hemingway

Topic author
agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

By the way, does anyone know of any Beretta dealers in the South Houston/Galveston area? The PX4 seems to be in high demand, and the compact more so. Just trying to get some places lined up. I'm hoping there may be something at the High Caliber show in Pasadena next week.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wildscar »

agbullet2k1 wrote:By the way, does anyone know of any Beretta dealers in the South Houston/Galveston area? The PX4 seems to be in high demand, and the compact more so. Just trying to get some places lined up. I'm hoping there may be something at the High Caliber show in Pasadena next week.
FYI...if you are looking for the PX4SC(sub compact) then you will be waiting for a while longer. It has not been released yet.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Topic author
agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Wildscar wrote:
FYI...if you are looking for the PX4SC(sub compact) then you will be waiting for a while longer. It has not been released yet.
You think there's any chance it will be released by July? Her plastic won't be in until then at the earliest.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wildscar »

agbullet2k1 wrote:
Wildscar wrote:
You think there's any chance it will be released by July? Her plastic won't be in until then at the earliest.
I dont know do you think pigs might fly be then or some place really hot freezing over its possiable.

It was suppose to be released last year and got pushed back to Feb 08 but that didnt happen either. I wouldnt hold my breath. I know alot of people there where waiting onthe PX4SC broke down and either got a block or a M&P compact. M&P might not be a bad deal to look at specially with the rebate they have going on right now. 2 free mags and $50 rebate is not to bad. I would like to tell you to go with Beretta but if you need something now I would not hold your breath.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Topic author
agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Wildscar wrote:
I dont know do you think pigs might fly be then or some place really hot freezing over its possiable.

It was suppose to be released last year and got pushed back to Feb 08 but that didnt happen either. I wouldnt hold my breath. I know alot of people there where waiting onthe PX4SC broke down and either got a block or a M&P compact. M&P might not be a bad deal to look at specially with the rebate they have going on right now. 2 free mags and $50 rebate is not to bad. I would like to tell you to go with Beretta but if you need something now I would not hold your breath.

Yeah I've run into that problem before with car accessories. Well, we'll just keep our fingers crossed. She did pick the Walther as a back-up, just in case.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Return to “New to CHL?”