Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
smyrna
Posts in topic: 2

Have you ever been drawn on?

Post by smyrna »

The recent post by Wildscar in
Drawing on a bad guy
gave me an idea, and not wanting to hijack the thread, I decided to start a new post.

Have you ever been drawn on? If so, what are the details? Circumstances?
Wildscar gave the details of how he bugged out of a bad situation rather than match force with force.

Here's my incident...
Turn back the clock to a spring Sunday in 1987. I was a senior in high school and was going to see a movie with a friend of mine and his kid brother who was probably in 7th grade. After the movie, we are cruising a street through town where there is a traffic light literally every block. It's warm and the windows are down in my '68 Ford PU. Kid brother is seated between me and my friend. I notice a small car driving erratically behind us and at the next light, it pulls up on the driver's side (mine) and screeches to a halt. Two late 20 something thugs are in the vehicle and saying something in an attempt to get our attention. When I make eye contact with the passenger he asks if we are looking for trouble (edited-10 year old daughter rule). I said, "No man, we're cool,...not looking for trouble."

I keep my eye on him as we are stopped at the light and he bends over pulls a short barrelled shot gun from the floor board and takes aim out the window literally 5 to 6 feet from me. I remember slumping behind the door frame and into the seat while glancing for crossing traffic. I floored the old 390 V8 and the truck lurched forward as I barely peeked over the dash. After covering some distance, I sat back up and looked back expecting to see the thugs laughing at us. Wrong! They ran the light too and the chase was on. I remember running several lights and passing a McDonald's that ALWAYS had a cop in the parking lot...not this day.

Now this is just downright dangerous as we are driving about 80 mph through traffic lights with thugs in hot pursuit. I see an opportunity to make a left hand turn and ditch these guys in traffic before they can turn. I simultaneously downshift and brake in a cloud of tire smoke and narrowly make the turn without being hit by oncoming traffic. The thugs wait in the intersection to make the turn while I open the old motorcraft carb as far as it will go. We make our way to a farm to market road and bury the speedo in the dash all the while glancing to see if we are being followed. I remember thinking, "Man I wish I would get pulled over..."

Back at my friend's house we replay the incident trying to make sense of it while kid brother is silent and white as a ghost and begins to sob. It's then that my friend and I learn his kid brother thought he would be cute and flip those guys the bird out the beer window while they followed us from the theater. Yeah, I almost got my head blown off because of someone flying the bird. :mad5

TXGLOCK29
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Have you ever been drawn on?

Post by TXGLOCK29 »

I can very happily say that I have never been drawn on. First, I am so happy to hear that you escaped that situation safely. It just goes to show you that you don't know who means you harm in this world, also you have shown how positioning yourself at stoplights can allow you to escape with your life. As a chl I am almost always armed, but if I found myself in a similar situation I would have used my car to escape rather than pulling my gun and firing back. You did the right thing and you were rewarded with your life. Good for you! :thumbs2:
God Bless America!

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I had posted this a couple of weeks ago.
Here's one from way back.

May 3, 1969, about midnight, I was out riding around with two of my best friends when one got the bright idea to send a telegram to his girlfriend. She was local, it was just the novelty thing.

So we went into the Western Union office on Capitol, which was only a few blocks from 61 Riesner, HPD headquarters. My buddy was facing the wall writing out his telegram when a guy with a small nickel pistol walked in. I saw the gun and nudged my friends and told them.

By this time, he announced the holdup and forced us to climb over the counter into the back and then he followed. Fortunately, a patrol car came by and noticed this and HPD HQ must have emptied.

My friends, once behind the counter, joined the workers in crawling underneath desks. I found a refrigerator, probably there for employee use, and stood behind it. The BG had grabbed the manager and was trying to force him to get the money.

At this time, the cavalry arrived in platoon strength and started ordering the BG to drop his gun, which they did 3 times. The manager had separated himself somewhat and the shooting started. There were at least 7-8 officers at the front of their group that started shooting. Later, when HPD homicide was cleaning house, I obtained the actual case file. The BG had 31 entrance holes. Some of the officers had climbed onto the counter and were firing downward, so some shots went into the top of his head, including a .41 magnum.

One of my friends had some shrapnel wounds in his leg from officer ricochets and the manager suffered broken ear drums. My buddy didn't even notice his wounds until hours later when we were at HPD homicide giving statements.

But it was definitely an off day for the bad guy.

If you drive by this Western Union office, you will see that the counter now has partitions going to the ceiling. They were installed in 1969 immediately after this incident. I truly don't remember whether my buddy got to send his telegram or not.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

smyrna wrote:The recent post by Wildscar in
Drawing on a bad guy
gave me an idea, and not wanting to hijack the thread, I decided to start a new post.
Guess that would have been the right thing to do.

Good call on the new thread and buggin out. Everyone learned a good lesson that day I bet.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

Yes I have been drawn on, back in 1988 I was Shot while I was on a Traffic stop that I was doing. I worked for a Small Sheriff department and stopped a 17 Y.O. for not having Tail lights. after getting his DL and insurance card, I was heading back to run him , when I turned to get in to my car he was standing at 19 feet and fired the first shoot that hit me in my Vest . I was knocked down and when I stood back up and was drawing my weapon he fired the second round that hit me in the side panel of my vest and cut the Velcro and went in between me and the vest and hit a rib and turned and entered my chest and came out the right side of my chest and nicked the lung .

I took the first back to him with me HK P7-M13 and when the fight was over 2minutes and 41 seconds later I had fired over 4 mags with 53 rounds that I fired and with 32 hits on him. to end this story the 17 Y.O. Male was on PCP or better known as Angle dust.

So yes I have been drawn on before.
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

RHZig

Post by RHZig »

Texasdoc wrote:Yes I have been drawn on, back in 1988 I was Shot while I was on a Traffic stop that I was doing. I worked for a Small Sheriff department and stopped a 17 Y.O. for not having Tail lights. after getting his DL and insurance card, I was heading back to run him , when I turned to get in to my car he was standing at 19 feet and fired the first shoot that hit me in my Vest . I was knocked down and when I stood back up and was drawing my weapon he fired the second round that hit me in the side panel of my vest and cut the Velcro and went in between me and the vest and hit a rib and turned and entered my chest and came out the right side of my chest and nicked the lung .

I took the first back to him with me HK P7-M13 and when the fight was over 2minutes and 41 seconds later I had fired over 4 mags with 53 rounds that I fired and with 32 hits on him. to end this story the 17 Y.O. Male was on PCP or better known as Angle dust.

Dang Doc, could have been bad.

53 out of 32. That's pretty good.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

Rayden

Post by Rayden »

1984, I was 13 yrs old. At my family restaurant in a certain country in the Caribbean/Central America.

Armed robbery ... had a gun pointed at my face after I raised my voice to the robbers while they push my dad to the ground in a corner. I have never forgotten that image ... with the barrel a couple of inches in my young face!

scootergeek

Post by scootergeek »

1990 maybe 89 ish I was riding my skateboard in the parking lot behind 7-11 in Duncanville and out of nowhere appear three individuals standing next to my vehicle. I picked up my board walking towards my car and the ringleader of the three says take us around the block. I laughed and said uh...no. The kids looked at each other baffled by my response and proceed to get in the back seat and im standing there telling them to stop getting in and that my car is not a taxi the ring leader again says get in and drive us around the block while closing the door the got in. I said ok we'll do it your way and tell them I need to put my board up and proceed to walk around to the front passenger door with all 3 perps in the back seat laughing and what not and i lean in and pop the glove box and pull my fathers .45 colt long slide and open up the back door and while sticking it instantly in the temple area in the first kid closest to me i pull him out by his shirt to the ground and proceed to tell the other two to start running off and when i count to 10 I would release the 3rd boy. They comply fully and take off across cedar ridge road in front of the 7-11. I let the 3rd kid go and he follows suit behind the others. I got in the car and pulled in front of 7-11 to call police and alert the store clerks as to what just took place. It took like 20 minutes for Duncanville pd to come to my aid cause they had an emergency call from the apartment complex directly across from the 7-11. The three kids upon entering the apartment complex pulled a .38 snub out on a 15 year old boy who was sitting on his apartment porch minding his own business reading a book and killed him on the spot for a small gold chain that he was wearing. They struck that fast on someone else after messing with me. all in a 20 minute period. I felt bad and wondered what I could have done different but honestly I was illegaly carrying a fire arm cause I was in my parents car using my dads gun while being 17 at the time.

The three boys ranged in ages of 14-15. Very sad and scary at the same time. God please be with the Honey family still to this day for their loss.

phddan

Post by phddan »

Back in the summer of '78 I was working in a small engine repair shop across from the DPS on N Lamar in Austin. Was working late one night, just after dark, front of shop locked up with lights out. Working in the back with the OHD open.
Was in the process of putting the needle bearings back on the crankshaft of a chainsaw. I was concentrating on the work, in the zone so to speak, because you really, REALLY don't want to drop tiny needle bearings into the crank case!!!!
Next thing, FREEZE!!!! DON'T MOVE!!!! boomed from behind me. It startled me pretty good, and my tweezers flinched in my hand knocking most of the needle bearings off of the crankshaft. I remember I got pretty mad, and when I turned around to see who was yelling, it was a gun that looked the size of a cannon!!
Not till the man lowered the weapon did I realize it was a cop.
After he took my license and seen my work shirt with the co. and my name on it, he explained they were driving by and noticed the back light on, and was checking it out.
I was 16 at the time, and this was the first time I had looked down the barrell of a gun.

Dan

Edit: I'll post later about the tank that drew down on me :lol:

45 4 life

Post by 45 4 life »

Somewhere around 78/79 driving through Denver after dark I was changing lanes with a loaded truck and almost hit a corvette. I heard the horn blowing and got back to my original lane.

As the other driver passed I waved in a apologetic nature, completely embarrassed by what had happened. The driver of the vet provided me with the international sign of being extremely put out, so I waved a second time (with all five didgits). At this the driver slowed to my pace rolled down his window and pointed a small frame revolver at me and began reading me the riot act that I ofcourse could not here a word of. I immeadiatly slowed and reached for a handgun in the glovebox. All of my handguns at the time where Ruger single actions and the one I had at the time was my 44mag 7-1/2" Blackhawk. When he slowed again to match my slower pace I again was presented the business end of the revolver I raised the Ruger and thumbed the hammer back. That was enough for him, he hit the gas and was gone. I pulled over to check if I could clean my underwear or needed a new pair.

That is the only time I have been in that type of situation, later during years as an LEO there were a few other situations when I had to deal with armed individuals, but I never again had to look down a gun barrel like that night.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Texasdoc wrote:Yes I have been drawn on, back in 1988 I was Shot while I was on a Traffic stop that I was doing. I worked for a Small Sheriff department and stopped a 17 Y.O. for not having Tail lights. after getting his DL and insurance card, I was heading back to run him , when I turned to get in to my car he was standing at 19 feet and fired the first shoot that hit me in my Vest . I was knocked down and when I stood back up and was drawing my weapon he fired the second round that hit me in the side panel of my vest and cut the Velcro and went in between me and the vest and hit a rib and turned and entered my chest and came out the right side of my chest and nicked the lung .

IIRC, it was your partner shooting the offender with a slug from a shotgun that ended the altercation.
hit'em in the neck and decapped him?
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

Good thread, guys.

I, too, have been drawn upon but never fired at. My incident occured back in 1988 in Baton Rouge, LA. I was a 20 year-old student at LSU and driving home alone from my girlfriend's place around 1:00 or so in the morning. Traffic at that time was almost non-existent but I had just passed a fellow that was driving less than the posted speed limit in the right-hand lane of a four-laned road. When we both came to a stop at a red light immediately following where I had just passed him - I was now in the right-hand lane and he was now in the left-hand lane - he rolled down his passenger window and asked me if I was "looking for trouble". I calmy replied, "no", to which he replied, "well, you've found it" and grabbed & pointed what looked to be (remember, it was dark) a 1911-style pistol at me. Scared out of my britches from looking down the barrel of that gun, I instantly leaned to my right over the armrest and somewhat into the passenger seat and stomped the accelerator. Peaking over the dash I quickly put as much distance between me and him as I could, which didn't take long since he decided not to pursue me through the red light. Although it took me about 10-15 minutes to get my heart rate and breathing back to normal, I was still in one piece and okay. To this day I have never been so scared in my life...
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Umm, yes, by Baytown PD a really long time ago and we will not go there.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

double J,it was a State Trooper that put 6 357's in him and a load of buckshot and then the slug in the chin to finish him off. with me on the ground bleeding for the gun shot wound.

With the sheriff dept. I worked for we didn't have partners and some days I wish we did.
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

That's right, thanks for the correction.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”