CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TDDude
Posts in topic: 3

OBSERVATIONS AFTER MY FIRST 6 YEARS OF CARRYING

Post by TDDude »

Not in any particular order:

1. Find a pistol that fits your hand. A pistol is like a pair of shoes. If your thumb can't reach the slide release today, it won't tomorrow either. Pick another.
2. Don't skimp on your pistol. If you can't afford the pistol that fits your hand, save your pennies and wait. See point 1.
3. See Luke 22:33-35.
4. Loose fitting patterned shirts will hide just about anything.
5. Don't skimp on the belt. A good strong tapered belt is just as important as a good holster.
6. IWB, OWB, Pancake, whatever. It doesn't really matter. Get the one that works with your body and don't change. Once you've developed the muscle memory for your rig, changing will only mess you up in a panic situation and may get you killed.
7. Carry the caliber you can afford to practice with. If you can't practice, you're not going to hit anything anyway so then the caliber won't matter now, will it?
8. Keep it a secret. Don't tell anyone you're carrying. No One!!!
9. Make carrying a habit like wearing underwear.
10. People don't notice and aren't looking if you are carrying. See point 4.
11. Getting your kids interested in shooting needs to be mandatory reading. Chances are they will love it. Someday it may save their life.

That's it for now.

:txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot:
Last edited by TDDude on Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Jungle Work
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OBSERVATIONS AFTER MY FIRST 6 YEARS OF CARRYING

Post by Jungle Work »

I haven't worn underware since Vietnam, but I carry everyday since then.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Topic author
TDDude

Post by TDDude »

Jungle Work wrote:I haven't worn underware since Vietnam, but I carry everyday since then.

Jungle Work
How about brushing your teeth???? :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Ray F.
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Jungle Work wrote:I haven't worn underware since Vietnam, but I carry everyday since then.

Jungle Work
Taking the idea of "going commando" literally... :smilelol5:

You made muh day JW...Keep 'em coming!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Jungle Work
OK, that's TMI. :roll:

"rlol"
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

htxred

Post by htxred »

im 24 and havent wore underwear since i got married.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK, this is REALLY TMI and off topic, please bring it back around.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

I guess these won't do some of you anygood then...

http://www.thunderwear.com/
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
TDDude

Post by TDDude »

TDDude wrote:Not in any particular order:

1. Find a pistol that fits your hand. A pistol is like a pair of shoes. If your thumb can't reach the slide release today, it won't tomorrow either. Pick another.
2. Don't skimp on your pistol. If you can't afford the pistol that fits your hand, save your pennies and wait. See point 1.
3. See Luke 22:33-35.
4. Loose fitting patterned shirts will hide just about anything.
5. Don't skimp on the belt. A good strong tapered belt is just as important as a good holster.
6. IWB, OWB, Pancake, whatever. It doesn't really matter. Get the one that works with your body and don't change. Once you've developed the muscle memory for your rig, changing will only mess you up in a panic situation and may get you killed.
7. Carry the caliber you can afford to practice with. If you can't practice, you're not going to hit anything anyway so then the caliber won't matter now, will it?
8. Keep it a secret. Don't tell anyone you're carrying. No One!!!
9. Make carrying a habit like wearing underwear.
10. People don't notice and aren't looking if you are carrying. See point 4.
11. Getting your kids interested in shooting needs to be mandatory reading. Chances are they will love it. Someday it may save their life.

That's it for now.
More Thoughts.
12. Make carrying a habit, like wearing a seatbelt, kissing your wife, eating breakfast, checking your email, wiping your extremeties, shaving your face, setting your alarm, saluting your superior officer, stomping cockroaches. :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
13. Being 6' tall & FAT (300+) and trying to carry concealed is much harder than being skinny (>200) and carrying concealed.
14. LEO's tend to be a bit more lenient during traffic stops.
15. ???
Ray F.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Keith B wrote:OK, this is REALLY TMI and off topic, please bring it back around.

Yup!

When I was in school (back in the day of Cro-Magnon man) we called that an "Over-Share". :shock:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Deaf Smith

Post by Deaf Smith »

Just yesterday at the indoor range I was doing my hip shooting using my Glock with a IWB holster. I have a AACK .22 unit and it's mighty cheep to shoot that way. Well the guy in the next bay decided to show the girls he could shoot to. He had a real nice Kimber Micro .45. He had a CHL target at, oh, 12 feet (yes feet). He shot all over that target. I do mean all over. Make a shotgun proud at 50 yards.

Yes as posted above, get a gun in a round you can afford to practice with. Carrying mini-cannons and not practicing is bad ju-ju.
Deaf

RaginKajun

Post by RaginKajun »

I was at the range a couple of days ago breaking in a new pistol and was next to a guy who was spraying small caliber rounds all over a 6 star target. Always fun to watch. ;-)

glock23

Post by glock23 »

All guys are not natural born shooters. It takes practice to be proficient with your handguns. Especially unfamiliar ones. When I see guys "spraying all over their targets" at the range, I am glad to see that they are at least practicing and trying to get better and getting into our shooting sports. :txflag:

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

glock23 wrote:All guys are not natural born shooters. It takes practice to be proficient with your handguns. Especially unfamiliar ones. When I see guys "spraying all over their targets" at the range, I am glad to see that they are at least practicing and trying to get better and getting into our shooting sports. :txflag:
The key is:

Practice, Practice, Practice.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

longhorn_92 wrote:
glock23 wrote:All guys are not natural born shooters. It takes practice to be proficient with your handguns. Especially unfamiliar ones. When I see guys "spraying all over their targets" at the range, I am glad to see that they are at least practicing and trying to get better and getting into our shooting sports. :txflag:
The key is:

Practice, Practice, Practice.
Make that "correct practice". After all, one definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results".

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”