Winchester Ranger T Series Ammunition

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
357sig
Posts in topic: 3

Winchester Ranger T Series Ammunition

Post by 357sig »

Hello fellow forum members. I am curious about the Winchester Ranger T Series Amminition that is listed as law Enforcement ammunition. I guess my questions are, if I can find it,
1 Is it lawful to purchase in Texas
2 Is it lawful to posses
3 Is it lawful to use. (Of course in a lawful situation)
I have had a CHL since about a week after it was legal to have one but I am not in any type of law enforcement position. I am also a long time reloader. Just thought it would be good carry ammo. Perhaps Mr Cotton or Mr Camp could respond to this. Thanks to all in advance. Ken
"I live in peace, but I carry a piece anyway...."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Hi Ken:
I don’t know where this ammo can be bought, but it is legal for you to use it in Texas. The only handgun ammo that is prohibited for non-LEO’s in Texas is armor piercing ammo. The “Law Enforcement Only� label is nothing more than either 1) the manufacturer’s desire; or 2) a marketing tool to make folks think their search for the magic bullet it over. I have read that the Ranger T series is nothing more than the old Black Talon renamed, but I have no idea if that’s true.

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
357sig

Post by 357sig »

Chas, Thanks for your quick reply & your time. I won't spend a lot of time looking for any of it but if I should come across some I would like to purchase it. I may find some at a gun show or some on-line business. I believe you are correct, it is Black Talon. Thanks again Chas. Ken

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

Ranger T series is excellent ammo. It is available online from Pro Load in their "Target Ammo" section do a search for "ranger".
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. As has been mentioned, the ammo is legal to own and use in Texas. I think it is excellent. It has worked reliably for me in a number of pistols and in the three calibers I've tried it in, it has been both accurate and consistent over the chronograph, shot to shot. I've shot it in .380, 9mm, and .45 ACP.
Expansion is reliable over a wide variety of scenarios and the bullets have expanded well in deer I've killed using them. (Looked about like those retrieved from super-saturated newsprint or from water or from ballistic gelatin.)

The 127-gr. +P+ is my 9mm load of choice while I stick with the standard pressure 230-gr. version in .45 ACP. Though I've not shot nearly so much of as the faster 127-gr., the 147-gr. 9mm standard pressure/velocity load appears a very good round as well.

Best.

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

Outstanding Ammo, I carried it on and off duty for many moons. Had every confidence it it. You can buy it and you can carry it, if you can find it.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Walter

Jungle Work,,,

Post by Walter »

...Good to see you over here on this forum, too.
I figured "20 Miles from Hell, 2 Miles from Water"
was probably in Texas.

Walter
CHL holder
TSRA Life Member
NRA En. Life Member

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

My understadning is that the SXT is the remake of the Black Talon, but that the Ranger T is a new design that is a VERY good one. I would pick that if it were more available, but around here the Golden Saber and Gold Dot loads seem to rule the shelves.

Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I've had excellent results with both the Gold Dot and the Golden Saber. Any of this ammunition mentioned is darned good in my view. My "carry .45" is usually loaded with the Winchester but a while back I was doing some work with Golden Sabers and that's what is still in the gun.

Best.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 4

Post by HighVelocity »

Ranger ammo can also be had at http://www.outdoormarksman.com and their prices are excellent.
I just ordered a pile of 00 buck. 8)

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

HighVelocity wrote:Ranger ammo can also be had at http://www.outdoormarksman.com and their prices are excellent.
I just ordered a pile of 00 buck. 8)

HV- I only saw FMJ in Ranger 9mm, and the 12ga loads you mentioned. Those were the only two I found. Did you see other calibers?

FWIW, I have ordered Ranger ammo from Jerry at jwkpatrick@yahoo.com . Good prices, prompt delivery as promised, and he communicates every step of the way. Ammo functions fine; I have no doubt it is "factory fresh". He usually has all service pistol calibers, as well as .223. He regularly posts at GlockTalk and The High Road, if you wish to check further.
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

5532JWK

WINCHESTER RANGER AMMO

Post by 5532JWK »

Here is what I have and prices for now on the Ranger ammo. All the handgun ammo is in 50 round boxes and the .223 Ranger is in 20 round boxes.

RA380T - 380acp 95gr - $21.00
RA38110HP+ - 38 special 110gr+P+ - $18.50
RA9T - 9mm 147gr - $18.50
RA9124TP - 9mm 124gr+P - $19.00
RA9TA - 9mm 127gr+P+ - $18.50
RA40TA - 40s&w 165gr - $20.00
RA40T - 40s&w 180gr - $20.00
RA357SIGT - 357sig 125gr - $21.00
RA45T - 45acp 230gr - $22.00
RA45TP - 45acp 230gr+P - $22.00
RA45GT - 45GAP 230gr - $23.00
RA223R - .223 55gr Soft Point - $10.00

If interested in getting some of the ammo, let me know exactly what you are interested in getting and your zip code and I'll check shipping and give you a total. No minimum order.

Thanks, Jerry.

Topic author
357sig

Post by 357sig »

I just got my first order of 6 boxes of ammo from Jerry Kirkpatrick yesterday. Everyone should order their Winchester Ranger T from him. Great guy to do business with. keeps you informed every step of the way & gives you a UPS tracking # to follow the order. He is highly recomended & I will order from him again. Ken

Here is his email addy again. jwkpatrick@yahoo.com

Braden
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Braden »

Is the only difference between RA40TA and RA40T the fact that one is 165 gr and the other is 180 gr. Both are the T Series Ranger ammo right?? The good stuff and not the civilian use SXT??
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

btt for HighVelocity

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”