Greybeard
Posts in topic: 4

"Gun free zone" editorial in local paper

Post by Greybeard »

http://www.thenewsconnection.com/articl ... cleID=2609

Gun free zones can be deadly

Bob Weir , The News Connection
Published 02/20/2008 - 2:26 p.m.

In my column last week, I wrote about the shooting rampage at the Town Council meeting in Kirkwood, Missouri that took the lives of 5 people. Before the column was viewed by readers in our circulation area, another gun-related tragedy had occurred, this time at Northern Illinois University and it claimed 5 more innocent lives. That’s right, another maniac, with guns bristling all over him, walked into a “gun-free zone� and began picking off human beings as if they were ducks in a shooting gallery. There were only a few minutes left in the ocean sciences class being held in the large lecture hall of the school when a tall, thin man, dressed in black, stepped out from behind a curtain on the stage. Witnesses said he looked around, almost as though he was relishing the thought of what he was about to do, pulled out a shotgun and began the slaughter.

While scores of students were screaming and ducking for cover, the creature with the guns was certain he would get no resistance from his helpless targets. Since the killer knew it was a building in which guns were prohibited by law, and, since he intended to take his own worthless life anyway, all he needed to do was disregard the law and calmly walk up to the cowering figures and press the trigger. Before he was finished, 5 students were dead and at least 15 were wounded, many of them critically. When his blood lust ended, the murderer, Stephen P. Kazmierczak, 27, shot himself to death with one of the 2 pistols he also brought with him.

Once again I’ll make the point that one sane person in that room with a firearm could have saved those lives. On the other hand, if it had not been designated a gun-free zone, it’s unlikely that the coward would have gone there to act out his homicidal rage. I’ve heard all the reasons given by gun control advocates about the need to keep guns off the streets. Yet, the slogan that keeps resounding in my mind is: “If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.� The Second Amendment to the Constitution declares a well-regulated militia as “being necessary to the security of a free State� and prohibits infringement of “the right of the people to keep and bear arms.� Even though some politicians have twisted that venerable document until it looks like Turkish taffy, it seems to me that our Founding Fathers believed that people had a right to protect themselves.

How many more massacres are we going to endure before we realize that we are giving human hunting licenses to malcontents when we broadcast the message that, “Everyone in this building, campus, church or city council meeting is unarmed?� Why not go even further and just say: “Those of you suffering from a deep seated, burning passion to kill, will be able to satisfy your hate-filled existence by entering these premises with the weapons of your choice. We can guarantee you plenty of free shots and no return fire.� Imagine the following scenario: You and your family are among about 50 other patrons eating dinner at a local restaurant. During the course of the evening, you happen to look up and see a man with a long topcoat enter the place; his hand concealed in one of the pockets. No one else seems to notice, but you have a gut feeling that he’s dangerous. Although you’ve had training with firearms, you, like almost everyone else walking around unprotected, don’t have a license to carry. If that man were to suddenly pull a gun, he’d have total control over that crowd. You and your family would continue living, only if the gunman decided not to aim his weapon in your direction. Is that any way for a free people to live?

Is there anything remotely reasonable about forcing decent people to disarm themselves, while knowing full well that the reprobates of the world have plenty of access to guns and no compunction about using them?
Does it make me a gun-crazy vigilante if I feel the need to protect my family and myself from a homicidal hit man? Like most normal people, I’d like to live my life without ever having to use a gun against a human being. But, I’d sure like to have one when a nutcase shows up with murder on his mind.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Gun free zone" editorial in local paper

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Good read Greybeard. Thank you.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

kdom

Post by kdom »

I think we should just ban black clothes...I mean, every mad man that goes on a rampage is described as "dressed in black", right? It must be those eveil black clothes making them kill all those innocent people :biggrinjester:

Oh yeah, almost forgot - Good Job Greybeard - Thanks!

Hyunchback

Post by Hyunchback »

kdom wrote:I think we should just ban black clothes...I mean, every mad man that goes on a rampage is described as "dressed in black", right? It must be those eveil black clothes making them kill all those innocent people :biggrinjester:

Oh yeah, almost forgot - Good Job Greybeard - Thanks!
Well, the BATF was sure wearing Evil Black Clothes when they were raiding the Branch Davidians.

I don't know what the FBI sniper who shot Randy Weaver's wife was wearing, though.
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

Topic author
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "Oh yeah, almost forgot - Good Job Greybeard - Thanks!"

To clarify, editor of little local paper in Highland Village wrote that one. It's obviously not typical of mainstream media op-eds. I do plan to write him - and may just invite him to join us here.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You can always tell when someone writes and speaks from the heart...This is one of those that really hits home...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Well, the little newpaper hit the mail box today and my "Letter to the Editor" (below) was in there - with little or no editing.

Re: Gun free zones can be deadly

Dear Mr. Weir,

I'm writing on behalf of "extended families" at Denton County Sports Association and http://www.texaschlforum.com.

Your recent article regarding "gun free" zones was a refreshing break from what we often see from mainstream media writers, writers who simple refuse to recognize that what we often have with the "gun free" zones are actually government-sanctioned human slaughter pens.

As another CHL member commented after I posted your article, "You can always tell when someone writes and speaks from the heart...This is one of those that really hits home... "

Best regards, Lonnie Ward, Flower Mound

camjr

Post by camjr »

Greybeard wrote:Well, the little newpaper hit the mail box today and my "Letter to the Editor" (below) was in there - with little or no editing.

Re: Gun free zones can be deadly

Dear Mr. Weir,

I'm writing on behalf of "extended families" at Denton County Sports Association and http://www.texaschlforum.com.

Your recent article regarding "gun free" zones was a refreshing break from what we often see from mainstream media writers, writers who simple refuse to recognize that what we often have with the "gun free" zones are actually government-sanctioned human slaughter pens.

As another CHL member commented after I posted your article, "You can always tell when someone writes and speaks from the heart...This is one of those that really hits home... "

Best regards, Lonnie Ward, Flower Mound
Thanks for sharing Lonnie. I saw Weir's op-ed piece the other day, and was sharing it with friends and family. Just one more reason I like living in this little piece of heaven in Southern Denton County (although traffic at certain formerly rural intersections drives me insane...).

I'll be contacting you shortly regarding a Freedom Plan at DCSA.

Regards

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

Thanks for posting this!

Topic author
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

camjr - Gimme a yell when on cell if ready before next open house. lw

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I believe Bob Weir is the editor of the News Connection and he has (unsuccessfully) run for Mayor of Flower Mound, TX. He is also a retired NYPD detective and novelist. If it's the same Bob Weir, I've read his novels. I usually agree with his editorials and this one is definitely in that category. I live in FM in Denton County. I'll take Bob as "neighbor" any day. Even though he likely carry without a CHL due to the Federal LEOSA, I suspect he has one. Helps when buying a gun too.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

kdom wrote:I think we should just ban black clothes...I mean, every mad man that goes on a rampage is described as "dressed in black", right? It must be those eveil black clothes making them kill all those innocent people :biggrinjester:
You can't do that. Don't you know that these miscreants suffer from low self esteem? To ban the slimming effect that black has to offer people would just exacerbate their self-piteous rage.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”